Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Last Call For Southern Iowa  (Read 1117 times)

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
Last Call For Southern Iowa
« on: Mar 13, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Steady rain, wind, and highs in the mid-fifties today and tomorrow in Linn County on top of the rain we got last night means ice season is done here.

There will still be good ice on a lot of ponds around here this weekend, but you will need a plank or boat to get to it.  ;D

I am hoping the northern third or so of the state still has good ice this coming weekend. (The forecast for next week looks pretty grim for ice fishing anywhere in Iowa by the weekend of March 23rd.)
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Last Call For Southern Iowa
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:07 PM »
From what little I could check, the damage to small waters around Cedar Rapids was not as bad as I thought it might be this week, but probably still enough to put an end to most ice fishing this far south.

The small ponds I looked at today in CR by my office--privately owned, so I can't fish them or actually check the ice, but I can walk right next to them--still had decent-looking ice close to shore in spots. If I had a spud bar, cleats, picks, and permission to be on them I would have tried to get out in spots.

The ice has begun to pull away from shore, especially on the north sides. Going out there would not have worked without waders or a plank. Forget about going anywhere near where water ran off in to those ponds this week.

As it is, I am not going to try any ponds around here this weekend, even though I bet some are still safe to fish if you are careful. One trip well north for sure tomorrow, and maybe one more long drive by next weekend, and that will be it for me.
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.