Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit.  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Spirit.
« on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Wow the snow was deep, the ice was thick. Trails were narrow. Sucked getting around. People were getting stuck....

Offline Central Iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spirit.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:46 AM »
But did the fish eat?

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:08 AM »
Definitely turned into a slushy mess coming back in last night. Fishing, at least for me, could've been better. Was just nice getting out with temps above -20.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:51 AM »
But did the fish eat?

Yes....nothing impressive....

Offline clm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Did the weekend warm up knock any of the snow down?    I would like to take my wheelhouse up this weekend and spend Saturday night.   We were up two weeks ago and left the day their latest snow storm came.  Thanks

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2019, 12:12 AM »
Did the weekend warm up knock any of the snow down?    I would like to take my wheelhouse up this weekend and spend Saturday night.   We were up two weeks ago and left the day their latest snow storm came.  Thanks

Hopefully someone local can chime in.

I went up Last Friday night, then left on Saturday morning at 9. Snow was deep in a lot of areas, trails were wide enough for one vehicle, and guys were getting stuck. It's was just starting to get a little slushy and messy when I left. Hopefully Saturday and Sunday melted the snow down and it refroze nice. I live a little sw of the IGL and our snow is gone, so there is a decent chance the snow melted and froze solid.

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Was on spirit on Sunday. Not much snow left on the ice  at all. Was 2"+ water on top of the ice. Will likely refreeze nicely by this weekend.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:55 PM »
Nice

Offline clm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Was on spirit on Sunday. Not much snow left on the ice  at all. Was 2"+ water on top of the ice. Will likely refreeze nicely by this weekend.

Thanks!

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Wonder what the snow and wind will do for this weekend.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:41 AM »
Was there Saturday.  Fishing was good with sorting until 11:00 then shut off.  Should have been set up earlier but was indecisive about where to go.  Wind picked up in the afternoon and drove us off early.  Definitely saw the benefit of having a hub vs. flip over in that wind. 

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Was there Saturday.  Fishing was good with sorting until 11:00 then shut off.  Should have been set up earlier but was indecisive about where to go.  Wind picked up in the afternoon and drove us off early.  Definitely saw the benefit of having a hub vs. flip over in that wind.

What are the issues you see with the hub in the wind? I currently have a hub and I figured a flip over might be easier in the wind. Sometime my hub can give me fits setting it up in the wind.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Any updates on snow or snow depth for getting around

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2019, 08:13 PM »
For someone who says the IGLs are overrated, you sure do enjoy fishing them this year! You must like 8-9 inch perch?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2019, 08:33 PM »
For someone who says the IGLs are overrated, you sure do enjoy fishing them this year! You must like 8-9 inch perch?

3 quick trips isn't what I'd call going much. Lol.....just been bizzy with kids sports so its close to fish a few hours deal. Trust me, I'm not a fan and think it's over rated puddle.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:16 PM »
3 quick trips isn't what I'd call going much. Lol.....just been bizzy with kids sports so its close to fish a few hours deal. Trust me, I'm not a fan and think it's over rated puddle.
But you’ve spent the night out on Spirit more than once now. That’s more than a few hours. If I thought a lake was overrated and I wasn’t a fan of it, I wouldn’t fish it personally. You claim it’s an overrated puddle that your not a fan of, but yet you still fish it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Must be the 8-9 inch perch? I personally won’t waste my time on it. I’ve been up there plenty early ice but for the eyes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:19 PM »
But you’ve spent the night out on Spirit more than once now. That’s more than a few hours. If I thought a lake was overrated and I wasn’t a fan of it, I wouldn’t fish it personally. You claim it’s an overrated puddle that your not a fan of, but yet you still fish it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Must be the 8-9 inch perch? I personally won’t waste my time on it. I’ve been up there plenty early ice but for the eyes.

Wow you really are worried about this. It's pretty simple. I've got a lot of money tied up to ice fish with all of my gear and my Ice castle fish house. I like to use it, but don't have near the time or flexibility that I had earlier in life. So, out of it simply being close, and able to get on it and off it with ice thickness and safety reports it is a convenient option. So, I've used it this winter a couple of times. Usually for a quick one night trip so I can get out to ice fish. If I had a better quick option, I would do IIf.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:45 PM »
I feel for ya, Agronomist. My kids are out of sports but I used to have a ton of days tied up with volleyball and Softball. All the days I liked to fish, basically. Now its show choir in Feb and March. Some day I will get those days back but i will miss my kids being in the show choir.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:07 PM »
Got out on north part of Spirit with my middle boy today. Bite was good about 3:1 on dinks to small keepers. Man that bump off minn wank sucked. Roads were plowed nice and ice was thick. My god was there a lot of people pulling up and sorting perch out.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:13 PM »
Wow, great fish! Congrats to him!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:43 PM »
Wow, great fish! Congrats to him!

Yep, kinda nice to see it be a local guy has well. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.