Author Topic: Circle hooks for pike?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Circle hooks for pike?
« on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:37 PM »
Just wondering how all the pike anglers like circle hooks?
I have heard mixed reviews, so would like to hear from all of you. :)

WW

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: Circle hooks for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:08 AM »
I tried them once and did not like them.  I can not get away from using trebles.  The more the better saying keeps running through my head when I try single hooks or circle hooks. 

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:35 AM »
All other species of fish I use circle hooks but when I set up for northerns I put trebles on they just have to many tough areas in their mouth to throw one hook point at them, I don't like big trebles though I use size 8.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Never, as I never let pike take the bait and swallow it. I kinda like being able to release fish after I catch them, if I choose to and any fish that's "gut-hooked" has a poor survival rate. If I could be persuaded to believe they wouldn't be gut-hooked with circle hooks, I'd certainly use them! They are extermely effective.  -Jim

Offline Deeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2006, 08:17 AM »
 Actually, I've been using "quick-strike" rigs for years, and yeterday for the first time ever, I thought I'd try a circle hook (we use them in the summer for BIG kittys up here) for a change. Well after 3 misses on the tip-up (using sardines), the circle hook came off, quick-strike rig went back on.....never again!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2006, 09:26 AM »
I thought the whole idea behind circle hooks is that they produce a lot less "Gut-Hooks"?. I could be wrong.

I for the most part still stick with trebels, as mentioned above too many tough areas in the mouth...I lose enuff fish using trebels I could not image how many I would lose on a single hook.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2006, 04:22 PM »
If I go a few more times before the season is over I will try one and let you guys know how they worked. I have to remember not to set the hook just, give the hooks some tention and reel in, will be kind of tough not to hammer them. ;D

WW

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2006, 06:28 PM »
I brought back some 1/0 Owner circle hooks from Fla. that I think will be good for pike and I bought a bunch of big holographic plastic shads they use for ocean fishing that I think will be deadly on pike too.  I want to try them in the early season.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2006, 06:09 PM »
Circle hooks work great for cats, but they are s#@t for pike. Ive tryed it, beaten the idea to death, and came to understand. Stick with quickstrikes, or you will miss plenty of fish. if anyone has had had sucsess with them, please chime in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.