Author Topic: trebles  (Read 1784 times)

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
trebles
« on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:30 PM »
with live bait(4-8") do i use just one treble or am i supposed to use a quick strike with 2 different trebles?

Another question would a sandbar be a good place to fish around it goes from about 2 ft on top of the sandbar to about 8-10 feet flats.on a gradual decline
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: trebles
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I use a quick strike rig w/ one treble and one single hook.  (single hook in front of minnow).  I fish a lake that has that situation.  I found it is better along a sharp drop no a gradual drop.

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:10 PM »
plus, your pike are going to be cruising where baitfish are.  and baitfish are where all of their prey can be found, and that is in/near weeds.  live, green weeds are holding oxygen, which attracts the bluegills food, and blah bla bla, you get the picture.
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:09 PM »
with live bait(4-8") do i use just one treble or am i supposed to use a quick strike with 2 different trebles?

Another question would a sandbar be a good place to fish around it goes from about 2 ft on top of the sandbar to about 8-10 feet flats.on a gradual decline

I only use one- a Gamakatsu red #8.
I also set it along weed-edges, preferably near a drop-off.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Use a pair of number 8 gamakatsu trebles. Red hooks might increase strikes so I'm going to try them this year.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:21 AM »
I have seen a 10-15% increase in strikes since using #2 red eagle claw trebels when icefishing for pike and eyes... not sure if it is a fluke or what, I guess that means I will have to keep FISHING for more data huh?

if my bait is more than 8 inches I use an english hook size 2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.