Author Topic: Using packaged bait for pike?  (Read 7308 times)

Offline D-flag

• IceShanty Rookie
Using packaged bait for pike?
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:17 PM »
New to pike fishing and live in NY. B.C of the new bait regs you cant keep bait for more then 7 days. I can only make it out on the ice every other week and only have a few hours of light. With this said I found that Wall mart has packaged cut bait (hearing) and was wondering if anyone has ever used it on a tipups. Do you think it would be worth buying a few packages to take out for a few hours after work while jigging? Or should i just save the money? Any other ideas for per packaged certified bait?
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
Re: Using packaged bait for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:18 AM »
I've had success on frozen dead mackerel (maybe 10-13 inches long). It has a huge profile, is oily, and costs little. Just thaw it out the night before or in a pail of warm water en route to fishing. I rig them on quick strikes on tipups, no action needed.  Pike love big dead bait.
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I've had success on frozen dead mackerel (maybe 10-13 inches long). It has a huge profile, is oily, and costs little. Just thaw it out the night before or in a pail of warm water en route to fishing. I rig them on quick strikes on tipups, no action needed.  Pike love big dead bait.
When you buy frozen mackrel, do you have to go to a seafood store or is it the frozen food section at a grocery store. I am going to give this a try.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:22 AM »
I get mine from the bait store (I think people rig them up for stripers and blues)
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:39 AM »
When I run out of ciscoes (that I net during the spawn) The local tackle shop sells frozen herring baits.
They work very well. I thaw them out and use salt to preserve them and make them tougher as well as toughen up the scales so they don't all fall off. I salt my ciscoes and shiners (store bought, frozen) as well. They last a lot longer and don't get freezer burn nearly as bad as unsalted ones do. I also catch Burbot and Lake Trout using frozen herring.

I would use frozen herring over live bait for pike any day. Pike love dead bait!!!!!!

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:45 PM »
When I run out of ciscoes (that I net during the spawn) The local tackle shop sells frozen herring baits.
They work very well. I thaw them out and use salt to preserve them and make them tougher as well as toughen up the scales so they don't all fall off. I salt my ciscoes and shiners (store bought, frozen) as well. They last a lot longer and don't get freezer burn nearly as bad as unsalted ones do. I also catch Burbot and Lake Trout using frozen herring.

I would use frozen herring over live bait for pike any day. Pike love dead bait!!!!!!
I am a big dead bait fan. Last year a buddy of mine caught a 40" 17lb pike on a dead 8" perch.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Berkley gulp alive. I use them and love um

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:51 AM »
I used to use frozen Herring that Gander sold. They were about 6-8 inches in length. They worked awesome. But they dont carry them anymore at the Gander in Hennrietta   :'( 

Offline Donquad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Now when your fishing the dead baits are you putting them on the bottom or suspending them?? If suspening how far off the bottom?

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:54 AM »
i had good luck in 18 fow with 4 in frozen herring on a single hook positioned just a little over 2 feet off the bottom.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Pretty close to what fishwiz said.  1-2 ft. off bottom, 8-14" herring hooked with a 4/0 or 6/0 octopus hook, one large split shot to wiegh it down.

You can keep them salted down to help toughen them up.  Canning salt, green food color, smelly jelly herring flavored, and a couple dashes of coffee creamer to make them shine! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:24 PM »
I used to use frozen Herring that Gander sold. They were about 6-8 inches in length. They worked awesome. But they dont carry them anymore at the Gander in Hennrietta   

OOOOps did I happen to buy out what they had left?  My bad...   :whistle:

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline 40below

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Me & Chops
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Frozen smelt works great 4 me double hooked on a treble, good luck :tipup:
Work can kiss my grits, i'm goin ice fishin!!

Offline gfisher95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:23 PM »
i'd prefer burkley gulp alive black shad

A bad day fishing is better then a good day a school.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:57 PM »

You can keep them salted down to help toughen them up.  Canning salt, green food color, smelly jelly herring flavored, and a couple dashes of coffee creamer to make them shine! ;)
  SOUNDS TASTY :o :o

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:37 PM »
  SOUNDS TASTY :o :o
I see a couple of people use Berkley gulp. Do you rig them the same as regular bait. I'm curios,maybe I will try this.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:44 PM »
New to pike fishing and live in NY. B.C of the new bait regs you cant keep bait for more then 7 days. I can only make it out on the ice every other week and only have a few hours of light. With this said I found that Wall mart has packaged cut bait (hearing) and was wondering if anyone has ever used it on a tipups. Do you think it would be worth buying a few packages to take out for a few hours after work while jigging? Or should i just save the money? Any other ideas for per packaged certified bait?
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

If you still fish New York waters you can NOT use store bought smelt for human consumption  because it's not certified as bait .
It don't make sense that a human can eat it but fish cant but that's what I was told by Albany .
The cut bait that is packaged for fishing can be used and does work but I think you're better off getting shiners .

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:30 PM »
my local walmart carries dead preserved shad that you can buy in little jars right in the fishing section. They are pretty decent size, and since Ive been using a lot of dead bait this year anyways, I might get a jar.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.