Author Topic: Pros/Cons Ice Fishing Electronics  (Read 2351 times)

Offline fisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
Pros/Cons Ice Fishing Electronics
« on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:11 AM »
So I'm about to purchase some sort of machine to help me find fish under the ice. I don't have a huge budget but am gonna try to make it work. I have a kayak that I'd like to use a fish finder off of in open water too. So my question is; are there any benefits or downsides to using one of the Fish finders that double as a ice fishing machines compared to a marcum of vexilar?

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pros/Cons Ice Fishing Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Not in my book i think the graphs are much easier to read, most have a flasher option and, i have never seen any noticeable delay.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Get the Vexilar and dont look back.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:29 AM »
Not in my book i think the graphs are much easier to read, most have a flasher option and, i have never seen any noticeable delay.
X2

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:33 AM »
So I'm about to purchase some sort of machine to help me find fish under the ice. I don't have a huge budget but am gonna try to make it work. I have a kayak that I'd like to use a fish finder off of in open water too. So my question is; are there any benefits or downsides to using one of the Fish finders that double as a ice fishing machines compared to a marcum of vexilar?

If you are using it for both, the Marcum is what you want.    If it was just for ice fishing, I would get the Vex.   The history that a graph will show is much more useful in a boating situation.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Go to your local sporting goods store and try them out one by one to see what you like. I had this same dilemma not long ago and ended up going with a dedicated ice unit (Humminbird Ice 35 that arrived last night). The cheaper multi-season units I did not like much and decided to go with a unit that was specialized rather than one that was mediocre in both hard and soft water (my opinion based on my price range).
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:38 AM »
The other upside to graphs is they don't make any noise.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:39 AM »
yea that hum is a real deal breaker ;D

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:41 AM »
i have used an HDS-5 and a Helix 5 on the ice both work very well. I prefer the HDS you can pick them up on ebay for under $100 if you look don't get the HDS touch they will not work on the ice.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:56 AM »
does your kayak have the transducer/scupper hole? if yes and you want to use that, then you would have to shop for what transducer fits it.
if it doesn't or you don't care to be stuck having to choose from the few that make one for it, then thru hull will be what you want for it.
a sonar with a graph makes a huge difference. when not using a graph, you can't see the minute changes that a flash of light there and gone makes with no record or history like graphs make.
many open water sonars have an ice kit offering and you might like that type, but you should look into a ice sonar that offers open water transducers instead.
i suggest staying with a digital unit so you can have a graph and if you can afford it one that has graph and vertical charts at the same time and one being a zoom vertical chart.

for sure stay away from humminbird!!
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=335504.0

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:23 AM »
pm sent about a new one     or a used lowrance 2060 on CL in EauClaire,WI 25.00 these work very well I tested them earlier in the year with the skinniest jigs I have no problems marking them

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:35 PM »
I love my Lowrance HDI 5 elite, for the graph and history. Love after I check my traps to see there was a big fish by my jig. But I do prefer the accuracy of my Marcum LX3TC. They both have their place. I will say the digital flasher on the HDI 5, is not as good as a actual flasher, so that is a con and you will want to use the graph as I do. Also setting up a graph style unit takes a lot more time to tune in than a flasher, but to double duty on the kayak get the graph. Garmin has some amazing stuff out now with real time mapping that could help you on the same waters in the winter.
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:56 PM »
 I use my Lowrance elite 4 off kayak W/ icemachine bag $150. Huge advantage over both the others units. They don't have GPS.  I have card with navionics  sonar charts 1ft depth increments. Almost as important as the sonar for finding points,creeks and other cover. Phone app is also very good. Get 2nd battery and run USB ports for Charging (phones,speaker and lights). Lots of lake have poor cell signal that draws  barriers down fast. Bigger screens are better if you got the $.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2016, 02:15 PM »
One thought: A digital sonar or flasher unit seems to be designed around the assumption that you are paying close attention to it.  One thing I wish my (MarCum) digital sonar would do is the "fish alarm" function that my old fish finder does nicely.  I.e., it sounds an alarm when a fish is detected.  If it goes off while you're off rebaiting another hole or something, you can look over and see the cruising depth of the passing fish.

Your MarCum or Vex is not going to do down imaging or side imaging.  However, it will let you take a simultaneous look at your jig, the bottom, and any fish in the column, and with some practice you can see and differentiate between all of them, with no discernible delay (real-time).

One magic day 25 years ago we were getting skunked on a deep reservoir when a fella came by and put his 'ducer in the hole and had us try a different depth.  Then we ended up with fish.  I have used some sort of electronics since that day.  I'm now transitioning from an old Humminbird to a new MarCum as my primary.  I also use a camera, and this year we will be playing with all three.

Lotsa bad mojo about Humminbird around here, but their Fishin' Buddy units have been a good entry point for a lot of people.  My $.02  YMMV
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2016, 02:44 PM »
The worst piece of ice fishing technology or any technology one could ever buy is the Hummingbird Fishingbuddy...it would be better served as a potatoe gun.
I've lost count how many times ive seen it not mark fish that I knew were there...
(I mean no disrespect to you Steve :) )

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2016, 04:51 PM »
(I mean no disrespect to you Steve :) )

No offense taken!  This place is good, among other reasons, because of the open dialogue.   ;D

I have no direct experience with the Fishin' Buddy unit.  One of my fishin buddies  ;) used one quite a bit, a number of years ago.  He is now using and loving a Helix 7.  My Humminbird use is all with old WIDE series units, which I have found quite useful.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2016, 05:22 PM »
I got a fishin buddy that half the screen quit. I used it for my canoe. If your doing double duty get a 5in screen graph type with a circular chart option. The fishin buddy puts so much drag in the water it ain't worth it.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:39 PM »
Depends on what you're willing to budget but $100 will get you in the game with something that'll do double duty. I started with an ice fishing specific sonar, but am now looking for a unit to do double duty as well. Check out the Lowrance Hook or Garmin Striker units for starters.

Offline kodiak80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:45 PM »
i used a fishin buddy for years and love it.  use it on my float tube, pontoon boat and tin boat in teh summer, then use it through the ice in the winter.  is it as quality as some other units?  no, but if you play with the settings, it does a decent job.  i use it very, very effectively for kokanee salmon in the winter through the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.