The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bought a Camp and want to ice fish  (Read 1762 times)

Offline ScotS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dang I need ICE!
Bought a Camp and want to ice fish
« on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Hello all:

My brothers and I have purchased a camp in the Cayman Landing Campground in Treasure Lake.  I'm excited to start fishing this beautiful lake, but we bought so late that we didn't get much opportunity this year so far (although one brother has bagged several nice bass from the shore by the Lakeview Lodge).

I'm trying to get the guys fired up to do an ice fishing expedition in January up there.  I've never ice fished before, but the prospect of pulling some perch through the ice from our new camp has me all a-twitter.  I love fresh perch, walleye, bluegills, and crappie.  But I'm kind of a noob on the ice fishing thing.  Gear I have.  I've watched a bunch of videos from the guys up in the upper Great Lakes and midwest (Ice Team, and InDepthOutdoors TV) so I think I have a grasp of the fundamentals (I'm a fly and spinning fisherman from way back, just never got out on the ice).

What I'd really like to be able to find is a site that has ice reports and fishing reports for the lakes in the area there (Treasure Lake, Bimini Lake, Kyle Lake, Lake Sabula, and maybe Parker Dam Lake).  Does anyone on this site cover those lakes?  I live in NE Ohio and am a regular on the Ohiogamefishing.com website, which has excellent coverage of almost all publicly accessible water in my part of the state...I'm hoping this site can provide the same insight and information.

Thanks for all the help and come on ice!

Scot
I want perch.  Buckets of perch.  I'm not asking for much.  Just ice over perch on a public lake.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bought a Camp and want to ice fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Have you looked at the reports and conditions, thats where all the lakes are listed just scroll until you find the lake you want if it isnt there ask a mod to add it, good luck and welcome to the site lots of good info here

Offline ScotS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dang I need ICE!
NC PA Camp and Ice Fishing
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply, I need 3 posts to be able to do that (this will be my second) and I don't want to just put up BS posts.

I'm new to this board, it seems pretty lively...to the MODs, is there some way to break this topic down into like 6 sub boards and make the posts more regional?  While I'd love to fish NE PA someday, I'm much more interested in NW and N Central PA where my camp is.  Or, if people were to put the letters NE, SW, NC, etc, in their posts to make it easier to scan through them...

Scot
I want perch.  Buckets of perch.  I'm not asking for much.  Just ice over perch on a public lake.

Offline ScotS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dang I need ICE!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:53 PM »
One other question that I have, just thought of it...

Does anybody have maps of the lakes previously mentioned?  If so, could you please post the publisher and whatever I might need to be able to find and buy them?  I have no idea what the bottom structure looks like on these lakes, any information would be very helpful.

Scot

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Navionics app for your smart phone is very good it will show you all the depths and you can mark spots 10$ for an I phone

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Check around any local bait and tackle shops.
Figure that you'll spend a little $$ (for things that you'll need) and get a little info (that you know you need) in return.
Most shop owners will give you good advice, since it's in their best interest to keep the custimers coming back.
I wouldn't expect to get specific spots, but rather general info that you will be able to use to find your own "sweet spot".

Check with the state's F&G website (if it has one) and see if they have pond maps and stocking info (if they do that as well).

Here in MA they list the stocking info for trout, which is primarily a "put & take" inductry here, and they have quite a few pond maps as well.
I know that NH does it as well.

Hope this is helpful, and that you get a chance to slay 'em!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: NC PA Camp and Ice Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply, I need 3 posts to be able to do that (this will be my second) and I don't want to just put up BS posts.

I'm new to this board, it seems pretty lively...to the MODs, is there some way to break this topic down into like 6 sub boards and make the posts more regional?  While I'd love to fish NE PA someday, I'm much more interested in NW and N Central PA where my camp is.  Or, if people were to put the letters NE, SW, NC, etc, in their posts to make it easier to scan through them...

Scot

The lakes are listed by county for the most part on the reports and conditions board i.e (lake name/county)

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:09 PM »
http://www.navionics.com/en

go to the web app tab ...zoom in ...don't forget the sonar button on bottom left ...more detail good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ScotS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dang I need ICE!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 02:21 PM »
@Hardwater and @ Scooby, thanks for the link...I guess I didn't realize that the Navionics site had a free web app to look at data.  More than sufficient for my first go.  Although the lakes I was looking at have no data, there is certainly lots of data in my neck of the woods in Ohio...so it's a useful resource right off the bat.

@Fishermantim, next time I'm up there I will ask around for maps and other information.  There is a sportsmans club there as well, it may be useful to pay the money for a membership if they are active in fishing as well as hunting on the property.

Thanks for the help, guys.  I'll have to request adds for the lakes in my previous post and give up some reports next time I'm out there.

Scot

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Unfortunately most of PA's lakes have no data for them. They are considered to small or to shallow. Every now and then you can find a private source that has done it.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Welcome ScotS! Lots of great guys here that can certainly help you.  I started ice fishing when I was about 14 years old.  Like you, I had never been ice fishing before nor had I ever met anyone who had done it.  I simply showed up at the lake with my normal fishing gear and looked for a previously drilled hole.  I showed up at that lake every weekend for a few weeks and befriended a group of older fisherman who eventually took me in and taught me the basics (after undoubtedly laughing at me for a few weeks).

Definitely spend some time reading the posts here, but in the interim, here's a quick list of some basic items you'll need to get started:

Ice cleats ($5-$40)
Ice picks ($5)
Auger ($70-$600)
Ice dipper ($5)
5 gallon bucket ($3) - carries gear and doubles as a seat
Ice fishing rod(s) combo ($30-$60)
tip-ups ($5-$20/each)
tip-up line ($5)
monofilament line ($5)
treble hooks for tip-ups ($5)
assorted jigs & spoons ($10-$30)

Notice that I put the ice cleats and ice picks at the top of the list.  They won't help you catch fish but the cleats will keep you from falling and breaking bones and the picks will help you get out of the water if you happen to fall through.  As with any other hobby, you can go anywhere from cheap to crazy expensive on gear.  My personal suggestion is to start simple.  You can probably get the items listed above for about $200 or so.  The most expensive item will be the auger (hand augers are the cheapest but they take some physical effort to get through thicker ice).  You may want to try and borrow some of this gear if you can and then buy additional items over time as you become more experienced. 

If you really want to learn to ice fish, the best way to do so is to learn from an expert, but it's often difficult to find ice fishing guide services.  Luckily for you, you are now a member of IceShanty and have access to some of the best ice fishermen in the world.  From your post, it looks like you now own property on a private lake.  There are probably dozens, if not hundreds of very good fishermen on this site who would jump at the chance to fish on a private lake.  Rather than spending money on a guide, why not post an invitation to an IS member or two in your area who can fish with you for a day or weekend.  You'll get the opportunity to learn the ropes from some experienced ice fishermen without spending a dime and those fishermen will get an opportunity to fish a lake that would otherwise be off limits.  It's a proverbial win-win.  Your biggest problem will probably be deciding which member to take. 

I hope this is helpful.  Stay on top and tight lines!

Offline ScotS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dang I need ICE!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:31 PM »
@Butcher:  Thanks for the detailed response, the first two items are all I think I need, everything else is either on order or in the bag.  I'm an old man so the ice cleats are a foregone conclusion...one knee replacement is enough!  And I'm not one of those whack jobs that would go out on 2 inches of ice...but I will still get the Ice Picks for safety, and a throw rope to boot.

Come on ICE!  I'm hoping that I get good ice in Ohio here on some smaller lakes before our trip to Treasure Lake, so that I can put up and try my new shelter and play with the sled and auger.  I'm sure that there are a few things to learn about the best way to use those as well.

Scot

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:29 AM »
ScotS,  in response to getting an auger, if you got a hand auger, you can get adaptors to run them on a 18 or 20 volt drill.  I have a 6in Mora that I use with a 18v Milwaukee hammer drill and can drill about 20 holes in 13 inches of ice per battery now.  I just use this when the ice is under 6 inches.  Good luck. Nez

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:54 PM »
One piece of equipment left out (optional but worth every penny) is a flasher sonar device! This will be major help figuring out your new lake as well as finding fish. Can get some effective lower cost units for 200-300$

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Welcome!!!  Most of the stuff has been covered.

You'll REALLY want to have a sonar unit.  It's the difference between driving at night without headlights in a snow storm versus cruising down a beach highway on a sunny day in Spring.  Truly that much difference.

The Lowrance Elite 4 with ice transducer would be a fantastic investment, as you not only get an exceptional sonar but you get a great GPS unit as well.  Less than $250 total.

Glad you're getting into ice fishing.  It is an awesome sport and a true addiction with no cure.

Good luck.

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:53 PM »
dont forget misquito lake and pymatuming

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:06 PM »
here are the basics you will need . first a buddy for safety never go alone. second a 7 in auger  a 6 will work most times but sometimes a bigger fish wont fit. but a 7 is good . those Cheap inline rod and reel combos for around 10 bucks work great and a couple tip ups will get you started . if you can swing it there is nothing better than a sonar unit to locate fish but just getting started maybe next year?
and a sled is a must to get everything out on the ice.
the best advice i can give you is look for other people . if you see people the ice is safe and if you dont be very carefull
most of the lakes will be on here for info and if you post im sure some locals will take you under there wing and show you the basics
best of luck to you . be safe and maybe someday we will run into each other?
sw pa here but my buddies and i travel alot . anywhere from prince galitzen to pymie ,arthur ,wilhelmand other lakes in western pa .
 :) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Bigvfb I agree with you on everything especially those (cheap) inline rods they are great unless your fishing deeper water then you gotta walk 20 feet away from the hole lol or get tangled in the line I've already done that ;D so you ice fished Pyma never got to yet on the ice plan on it this year. Do u fish off Jamestown,manning, lines ville? I know where the fish are in the spring,summer but not where the ice is safer in the winter
A watched flag never flies

Offline ScotS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dang I need ICE!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Thanks all for the great information. 

Don't have a flasher in the cards yet but I bought a $35 simplified unit from Amazon, that will get me started (i.e. make me yearn for a Vex).  Maybe sometime this summer when they are on sale.  I tend to not buy the cheapest thing out there from the get go but once I've found my way in it I am usually willing to invest more in it.

And, I won't be JUST at the camp...planning on Pymie, Mosquito, and maybe the Portage Lakes down by Akron as well.  If we get some really good cold weather I may just pony up and try a Lake Erie trip out by the Islands with a guide.

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:40 PM »
To each there own but I prefer the vertical graph like the lowrance and hummingbirds have

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Thanks all for the great information. 

Don't have a flasher in the cards yet but I bought a $35 simplified unit from Amazon, that will get me started (i.e. make me yearn for a Vex).  Maybe sometime this summer when they are on sale.  I tend to not buy the cheapest thing out there from the get go but once I've found my way in it I am usually willing to invest more in it.

And, I won't be JUST at the camp...planning on Pymie, Mosquito, and maybe the Portage Lakes down by Akron as well.  If we get some really good cold weather I may just pony up and try a Lake Erie trip out by the Islands with a guide.
Hardwater ive fished pymie a few times . its 2 1/2 hour drive for me but we try to get up there at least a couple times every year.
usually the north end of lake around tuttle or the south end around jamestown . they both have good and bad areas. look for the shanty towns thats where they are usually catching fish.
and watch the reports on the ice before making  long trip up there. be safe and have a very merry christmas . maybe we can do some ice sometime ?

Offline fishey56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:45 AM »
hi,
we have a time share at treasure lake. I ice fished it a few times at the upper end of the lake out in front of the beach area in early march and did really good on perch at this time of the year. hope this helps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.