Author Topic: Flasher or camera?  (Read 2275 times)

Offline TMRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher or camera?
« on: Dec 14, 2008, 07:56 PM »
I am trying to decide whether I should get a camera or a flasher.  I have used vexes but never cameras.  I am familiar with the general pros and cons of each, but was wondering what you guys recommend for fishing the Regina area - LML, fishing lakes, Buffalo Pound.  How near does the camera need to be to get a clear view in these lakes and do fish get tangled around the camera cord a lot when you are pulling them up?

Offline weirzy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flasher or camera?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:01 PM »
i have both, and ever since i bought a flasher (vex fl-20) i have not used my camera once.  i find the flasher way easier and quicker to set up, and far more productive.  no cords to get the line tangled in, and no fussing.
<'}\\\\\\\\><

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Flasher for sure.

Offline TMRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Thanks guys.   I used to think a flasher was better, but lately I have been watching some underwater footage and thinking maybe a camera would be better.  Thought it might be nice to actually see the fish instead of just seeing a colored spot on the flasher screen.  What about for trying new areas - Is a camera more useful then because you can see what species are down there?

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:09 PM »
I'd do a search using "flasher or camera" /"camera or flasher" and get about 100+ more responses to this question. Possibly even answers to other questions you may not have even thought of  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:14 PM »
with a flasher you can go and hop holes with a camera it woudl be more difficult.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:20 PM »
I think you should get both >:D I have both and enjoy both for different reasons however, if I had to give up one....it would be the camera

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:54 PM »
I agree with Tombo...both is the best choice!!  But if you are forced to choose between one or the other...I would have to say flasher for sure.  A perfect example of this is, last weekend I was out on Zelma Res. near Allan...water was so dirty...I couldn't see anything on the camera, but the flasher worked just fine.  It is nice watch a fish take your bait though too...

shawno  8)

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2008, 10:08 PM »
If you move a lot through out the day... flasher
If you stay in one place most of the day.... camera
if you can afford both very cool..

just my 2 cents
:)

Offline TMRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:50 AM »
I do tend to stay in one place a lot, especially when it is this cold.  I set up the shack and stay in there, unless nature calls.  But, I think I am going to stick with my original idea and get a flasher.  And no, I can't afford both a flasher and a camera.  I can't really afford one, but I will find a way.  I tell myself that it helps provide food for the family.  It's an investment. :laugh:
Thanks for the replies.

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They're down there somewhere!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:22 AM »
 I have used a camera before & they are fairly entertaining, even if the fish aren't biting. It would be good in a shack or if kids are along.  I recently bought a Humminbird Ice 45(Incredible),up til now I have only watched other fisherman using flashers, usually with more success than myself. If you like to dig lots of holes & move around alot then the flasher is the ticket, just drop the transducer and instantly you know if there are fish in the area. If you ask me the flasher is the way to go on LML.
Golf is for people that don't know how to fish.

Offline X-Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:08 PM »
A flasher doesn't tell you what fish species and it doesn't help you refine your jigging technique.

10" Ice Auger $400, 12 pack of beer $15, Catching the world record walleye - Priceless.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:19 PM »
neither

study the maps.
drill holes
fish

you will catch

Offline X-Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Good point Canada. Nothing more frustrating than seeing fish with flasher or camera and no bites. You can have all the great technology in the world and still not catch fish.

10" Ice Auger $400, 12 pack of beer $15, Catching the world record walleye - Priceless.

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Camera - pro's: Youngest son was not interested in ice fishing till I got the camera and he could see the fish.
             con's: I get too excited and try and sink the hook on walleye and perch before they have it.
                      You will not do as well with trout, as they are easily shy ed away from the wire.
                      As mentioned before, harder to move around, in and out of holes while searching for fish.

Flasher - pro's:  Much easier to move around and does not scare any fish away. 
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline TMRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I ordered a Marcum vx-1.

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Flash

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:10 PM »
Good point, Canada.  I've tried to follow that same philosophy, and haven't had much of a problem. 

I caved to the times a couple winters ago and bought a camera.  It was more of a pain in the a-- that anything else, so now it sits in my basement.  I didn't really notice a difference in catching fish when I had it out there...

I can't speak about the flasher though; never tried one, and probably won't

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:08 AM »
I like your style.....
Have heard more stories of hassle than anything else. That slows procuctivity.  I enjoy moving often trying new spots on the enture lakes I fish.
It works

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:22 AM »
alas I bought a camera last year  but....the lakes I go to are too stained to use it   good till just below the ice    but id did give me a good indication that the ice wasnt as good as I thought!  glasd I had originally bought the vex
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:51 PM »
 Guys, It couldnt be easier than walking up to a hole, drop in a transducer & instantly know what is directly below you! True, that doesn't mean that they are biting but with a flasher you can tell their mood. If they stay in the area when you drop your bait, or follow your bait up or down in the water column then they are probably at least mildly interested. If they leave as your bait drops or when it hits bottom & don't come back right away then they are probably off the feed, then simply move on. This is my first year with a flasher and I can honestly say that they are simple to use, just remember to pull transducer out of hole as you bring up a fish (big #$%#^@ mess). Whatever brand you get make sure it has bottom zoom! I normally fish for Walleye only but I'm pretty sure even deep fish (trout) react the same. Where the flasher shines over cameras is in stained or murky water(Rivers or current) & of coarse set up time.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:26 PM »
A flasher doesn't tell you what fish species and it doesn't help you refine your jigging technique.

it sure does help refine your jigging technique, you see him move up for it you know hes interested and he likes what your doing..signals gets weaker or they drift back to bottom you know they didnt like your jigging. flasher is 100X more versatile and useful than a camera, camera is cool thats about it.
suspended fish on the flasher are always an added bonus too  ;)

TMR, good decision youll love it..i got an lx-3  ;D

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:42 PM »
I am also on the hunt to get my first flasher or camera. I've never actually got to fish with anyone that has either. Guess you could call me & my dad old school.

I have a perminent shack on the lake a couple miles from my house (Rivers Lake, north of Brandon Manitoba). Im leaning towards a flasher for the obvious reasons that seem to be stated by everyone on here. Just want to know how it works in a shack with 4 holes. My plans are to use it in the shack for the most part and its a 6x8' shack. If I get a flasher and drop it in one of the holes im fishing will the other 3 holes and lures show up and mess it up by looking like fish or will it be no problem using it in that close proximity to other jigs I'll have in the water?

Maybe its a dumb question but I've never used one before...

Thanks,
Stevo

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:07 AM »
I am also on the hunt to get my first flasher or camera. I've never actually got to fish with anyone that has either. Guess you could call me & my dad old school.

I have a perminent shack on the lake a couple miles from my house (Rivers Lake, north of Brandon Manitoba). Im leaning towards a flasher for the obvious reasons that seem to be stated by everyone on here. Just want to know how it works in a shack with 4 holes. My plans are to use it in the shack for the most part and its a 6x8' shack. If I get a flasher and drop it in one of the holes im fishing will the other 3 holes and lures show up and mess it up by looking like fish or will it be no problem using it in that close proximity to other jigs I'll have in the water?

Maybe its a dumb question but I've never used one before...

Thanks,
Stevo
I have a humminbird Ice 45 & if I drill holes about 5-6 feet apart I cannot pick up a hook in another hole in about 20-25 feet of water even with the 19 degree transducer set up. Of course this will change the deeper you fish. You can instantly tell if its a fish or another hook by watching your fishing partner jig & the flasher screen at the same time,  everything on a flasher is real time. Just go and get a flasher(with bottom zoom), it's the best thing that's happened to fishing since the hook.
  Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question. Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.