Author Topic: Owners of Flat screen Vex's  (Read 980 times)

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Owners of Flat screen Vex's
« on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:27 PM »
    How are the new flat screen vex's in sun light?  Been fishing the other style for 25 years.  Any other positive features vs the other style.   Thinking of upgrading this year.     
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
Re: Owners of Flat screen Vex's
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:29 PM »
i have a 22 and had a 20 previously and an older 8 before that.  to tell ya the truth i couldnt go back to the old style.  the flat panel shows up excellent in direct sun.  the only issue i have is that when fishing inside my shelter or during low light periods the display is to bright...even on the dim setting.  it seems to mess with my eyes "vex vision" as i call it.  i made a tinted shield that i put over mine.  even in the sun it is still viewable on the bright setting with the shield in place.  it also doubles as a screen protector during transport.

]

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:33 PM »
i have a 20 and i havent had any problems in the sunlight

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:34 PM »
wow thats awesome, can I ask what material you used? I want to make a dimmer shield for my marcum, its lights up half the shanty if you dont open all the windows and turn on the lights LOL
EYECONICFISHING

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I have a 20 and love it to death. No problems for me as of yet  ;D

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Thanks for the info    To bad Vex doesn't have a knob to adj the brightness.  Nice idea on the shield. it looks factory installed. 
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:40 PM »
wow thats awesome, can I ask what material you used? I want to make a dimmer shield for my marcum, its lights up half the shanty if you dont open all the windows and turn on the lights LOL

tinted lexan...i think in smoke color not bronze.  i cut it just as wide as the display than epoxied a lip on top.  i ended up dolling it by adding pinstipe around the edge to match the head unit seal...was bored.  i got a couple buddies with a 20 and 12 that i need to make a cpl more for.  the hole thing prolly cost 10 bucks.
]

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Thanks for the info    To bad Vex doesn't have a knob to adj the brightness.  Nice idea on the shield. it looks factory installed.

i actually asked/complained to vex last year before i came up with the shield idea why they didnt put an adjustable dimmer on it and their response was to keep it simple and stay away from needing a 4th knob.
]

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Like said before, your more than welcome to check mine out come ice season. :)

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2011, 01:36 AM »

Hey BBK, just a thought, but how about ordering the snowshield for your marcum if you dont already have one and then putting some window tint on the inside of the shield. Would make a nice dimmer that is removable and is already meant to cover the screen so its a perfect fit. Thats what Im gona do with my lx5. This thing is brighter than my fl20 was!!!

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2011, 01:45 AM »
To answer the original question, I never had a problem viewing in direct sunlight on my fl20. Always saw everything just fine. The flat screen is very nice to have I will say. After using my 20 I became used to the flat screen. Now my lx5 doesnt have that and it is very different having to be right on top of it. I will miss the flat screen alot I think, but I like the finer lines and seperation on the marcum alot better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.