Author Topic: NWRI Ice  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Conserve and protect the environment
NWRI Ice
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:41 AM »
Well,
I checked a few ponds in Burrillville the other day, all were holding grey/black ice which is unsafe. Some coves might be safe but the problem is getting on.
The snow yesterday, most likely, will/has turned to slush and with the upcoming forecast all should be locked up next week. Here we go again...
Be safe
Steve
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: NWRI Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:17 PM »
I went out to look at Wilson's and Pascoag Reservoir today and the ice conditions have gotten much worse.... It will take several days of very cold weather for the ponds to lock up to be safe.
I'm looking at Monday/Tuesday...maybe
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:25 PM »
This weekend is not going to speed things up at all

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:31 AM »
You are right about this weekend.:-\  But after this mornings temp forecast for next week, all is NOT LOST! Late next week, ALL the ponds in the state should be safe. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:09 AM »
It will be nice to be able to get out wherever we want for a change.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:33 PM »
hey guys, I hope this upcoming cold snap does the trick.  Glad to hear you guys have been getting out.  It is amazing to hear what safe ice is in RI compared to here in ME.  I spent the first 18 years of my life in RI and have been defending its honor ever since I left. I hope you guys can get into some fish soon.
Tight Lines

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:55 PM »
 :)

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2013, 09:50 PM »
hey guys, I hope this upcoming cold snap does the trick.  Glad to hear you guys have been getting out.  It is amazing to hear what safe ice is in RI compared to here in ME.  I spent the first 18 years of my life in RI and have been defending its honor ever since I left. I hope you guys can get into some fish soon.
Tight Lines

Right on bro!!

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:39 AM »
This roller coaster of temps and high winds can only hurt the hard water. The cold snap next week will help, but now they are calling for a mixed bag for Friday... We are averaging 5 degrees above normal this winter so far! :-\

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:49 AM »
That sucks.  I was wondering about that as we are having some issues up here also.  Right as our lakes locked up we got about 18" of snow on top that insulated from the cold so they couldn't solidify the whole way.  Near shore you are typically on 10"+ but it gives a false sense of security because 150 yards away you might be on 3" over 40' of water.  I heard a few people went through up here last week checking on a spot that looked weird.  They got out fine but still makes you think. Be safe guys, no fish is worth a big mistake.

So what fish do you guys target in RI?  I am mostly fishing for salmon and trout but people have introduced pike up here over the last ten years and they are taking over. They get huge but can ruin a trout fishery in no time, plus once you have them there is no getting rid of them. I grew up fishing the scituate res for bass. ::)

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Dan,
We have a big choice her in RI; Pike, Bass on some ponds/Lakes., Salmon, Trout in others... Yes, I lived near the SR for awhile and my wifes Aunt lived boardering the water company land.. Smallies and LMB  It was great...
I wish they would open sections as they do up at the Quabbin res.

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing is not a sport-"its a way of life"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:05 PM »
That sucks.  I was wondering about that as we are having some issues up here also.  Right as our lakes locked up we got about 18" of snow on top that insulated from the cold so they couldn't solidify the whole way.  Near shore you are typically on 10"+ but it gives a false sense of security because 150 yards away you might be on 3" over 40' of water.  I heard a few people went through up here last week checking on a spot that looked weird.  They got out fine but still makes you think. Be safe guys, no fish is worth a big mistake.

So what fish do you guys target in RI?  I am mostly fishing for salmon and trout but people have introduced pike up here over the last ten years and they are taking over. They get huge but can ruin a trout fishery in no time, plus once you have them there is no getting rid of them. I grew up fishing the scituate res for bass. ::)
Dan, I live on the scituate res now- its my favorite place to fish in ri but doesn't have pike..DEM has issued permits to hunt the scituate res land for deer. Don't think they'll do the same for fishing..

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:02 PM »
there are pike in there.  No question.  We were fishing hulapoppers one august evening and my buddy kept hitting these 10" largemouths, he was annoyed by the 3rd one and just left it there before bringing it in. About 5 feet from shore it was taken, the bass and the popper and it cut his line off like nothing.  Had to be a pike. Or the biggest pickerel the world has ever seen.  I have seen dead ones in there while swimming also.

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:08 PM »
How did you ever fish Scituate Reservoir? That place is patrolled more than the perimeter at Gitmo? You can't pull off the road near it to take a leak without  the cops or DEM bustin' your balls. Even if you did it on the sneak,you sure as hell ain't putting tilts out there.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:10 PM »
no for sure not.  never fished it in the winter. I grew up in scituate, walk in and walk out, and you're right we got caught by state troopers, local police, DEM and water supply trucks. We were under 18 and local so they usually just took our names and kicked us out.

where on the res pikeanator? I grew up in north scituate, right in town.

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 AM »
no for sure not.  never fished it in the winter. I grew up in scituate, walk in and walk out, and you're right we got caught by state troopers, local police, DEM and water supply trucks. We were under 18 and local so they usually just took our names and kicked us out.

where on the res pikeanator? I grew up in north scituate, right in town.
I live off of battey meeting house near the state police for 26 years. I've been caught by everyone-they always let us go and even gave us a ride or 2 home. I would fish the horseshoe dam all day and I've icefished several coves that are hidden. best place in RI to fish.Send me a PM Dan-I wonder if I know you..

Offline teeo9111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:22 PM »
I fished the Scituate res for many years. Ran into the water guys many times but they aren't cops so just ran and they never did anything. One time we ran into DEM and my buddy got caught coming out of the woods by state cops called in by DEM,arrested on the spot and charged with criminal trespass,still on his record. No pike in there,just gigantic pickerel,the two biggest pickerel I have ever seen were in the res and I have been fishing for 50 years.

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:29 PM »
How did you ever fish Scituate Reservoir? That place is patrolled more than the perimeter at Gitmo? You can't pull off the road near it to take a leak without  the cops or DEM bustin' your balls. Even if you did it on the sneak,you sure as hell ain't putting tilts out there.
Hey war eagle, I fish this scituate res water all the time. Hardwater too..Its not patrolled in certain areas and I have had a DEM friend  :callcops:tell me where to fish so I don't get caught. Maybe cause I'm local-they don't bother me. I use to fish off the cetral pike bridge during the day and if you fish the right side-its legal..Left side-not legal. :whistle:..I have friends that canoe out to an island and camp with a fire during the summer :cookoo:..Guess its a great place if you live near it and since its in my backyard then I guess thats why I use it.. ;D

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:27 PM »
I do not believe that pike are in smithfield but not in the res. They spread so easy, you should see how they are moving around up here.  Also, they can't really be substantiated since it is illegal to fish there and it gets hardly any pressure. But I wouldn't want to get into a discussion about their existence in there. We used to swim out to islands for exploring, and I have been caught dropping shiners into the horse shoe.  haha.  They were rather pissed about that one.  I have also been out to the shooting range and walked in on some training. they let us watch them train but told us we were on our own if the res patrol comes.  I assume pikeanator knows the range I am talking about.

pm sent pike

Offline The Legend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:23 PM »
Hey war eagle, I fish this scituate res water all the time. Hardwater too..Its not patrolled in certain areas and I have had a DEM friend  :callcops:tell me where to fish so I don't get caught. Maybe cause I'm local-they don't bother me. I use to fish off the cetral pike bridge during the day and if you fish the right side-its legal..Left side-not legal. :whistle:..I have friends that canoe out to an island and camp with a fire during the summer :cookoo:..Guess its a great place if you live near it and since its in my backyard then I guess thats why I use it.. ;D

your talking about fishing bardens reservior off central pike correct?

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:39 PM »

your talking about fishing bardens reservoir off central pike correct?

I didn't think any of that was legal.  we used to fish it before hemlock rd was open.  I got the biggest LM of my life out of there 10+ lbs. That was probably in 1998 or so.

also, sorry I kind of highjacked this thread and turned it into reminiscent reservoir talk

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:56 PM »

your talking about fishing bardens reservior off central pike correct? yep, fish the ramstail rd side and we were fine,cast on the other side and we got in trouble.I'm going back a few years-more then i would like to admit..

Offline The Legend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:44 PM »
so neither of you would know about the boat and 2 paddles stashed in the woods would you lol  ;D

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:48 PM »
 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.