IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

Ice fishing baitcasting reel....

<< < (4/5) > >>

filetandrelease:

Bart I have the same set up and I have no issues , I use it for eyes and perch on Oneida
  Just shows what’s works for one doesn’t for another,

Philip:

--- Quote from: river rat78 on Sep 23, 2018, 10:09 AM ---Baitcasters are better used with heavier baits and line. I don’t see them being able to drop small lures designed for panfish. I do see them being used to target larger fish like walleye, pike, laker trout. For this you can just use a low profile baitcaster.

--- End quote ---

I think a BFS reel could get a light lure down there

matzilla:
take the break system off a baitcaster and it will get a small lure down for sure....does anyone make an affordable (under $50???) baitcaster in a small size?

DR.SPECKLER:
I think there are some smaller baitcast reels for crappie.forget who makes them.smaller sizes than a standard abu garcia series.not the cheap ht ones.ok crappie max by bps,lews has one and a few others.no reason you couldn’t get rid of the grease and put some hot sauce in them.baitcasters for crappie is what i searched.

slipperybob:
It's not really the actual physical size of the bait casting reel, but more the shallow spool designed just for some ice fishing line capacity.  Next there is no need for a braking system as there's no need to cast.  Then having a graphite type frame instead of a metal type frame, cuz cold metal is always colder with some moisture.  Finally a precision design so that 1 or 2# diameter lines don't slip around the spool lip and getting caught up in the gears.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version