Author Topic: president question  (Read 851 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
president question
« on: Jun 16, 2015, 11:08 AM »
I have the smallest version of the president reel on a 6ft light carbon rod that I use for gills and crappie. I have the reel spooled with 6lb power pro braid. My issue i am having is backlash. I have had to cut the line about 5 times due to a knot forming. What am I doing wrong? I have always used fireline in years past and never had near this many issues. Can't imagine it is solely due to the line? Love the reel for ice fishing but struggling with this issue. Typically casting a 1/32nd - 1/16 jig.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
Re: president question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2015, 11:13 AM »
How did you spool the line onto the reel? Must have introduced twist when spooling is my guess.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2015, 11:34 AM »
downsize and use some ice fishing line

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2015, 12:26 PM »
i thought about that too but this power pro 6lb braid is 1lb mono diameter so figured it would be just fine. Evidently I did something wrong but pretty sure i followed the directions on the box. May have to you tube and respool more line on it as most has been cut off. ugh.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2015, 11:49 PM »
When spooling, lay the spool flat on the floor (or table) while reeling. When a twist forms, flip the spool over, pull twist out and continue to reel. You may need to flip the spool over a dozen times or more before your spool is full.
This method works well for me on all reels and all line types.
The last thing I do is tie a 1oz weight on and cast out either in the yard or down the road or in some open water and retrieve. This will help compact your line on the spool so that it won't jump off like wacky horny toad...
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Wind knots are caused by slack in the line, and seem to be exacerbated by lure induced twist.  I use braid for stream trout and will bump into them occasionally.  I've almost never had to cut one out though.  As soon as I realize I've got a problem I GENTLY pull line off the spool by hand until it comes off, when you start yanking is when it tightens up into an un-fixable mess.  Once you've got the nest off the reel you can carefully untwist it.  Here's a write up with a bit of information http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/rigs-and-tips/how-stop-wind-knots-braid.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2015, 01:51 PM »
One thing I do with my mono lines when I am out in my boat is to cut the swivel off the line (line is bare ended) and let the line out behind the boat while at troll speed. Let out all the line, this will allow the line to un-twist. You only have to drag the line for a few minutes to get all the twist out, then simply reel back up with a little finger tension above the reel and you are all set. I assume this would work the same with braid.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2015, 04:45 PM »
good idea. Wish I fished out of a boat more often to try that. Plan on just pulling the line off and re spooling with much more tension that i did the first time?? Have pretty much solely used that reel/line for a 1/16th roadrunner jig and seems like it never fails after a while the line will nest on me. Hoping the tighter spooling will help.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2015, 03:15 AM »
You could also tie a ball bearing snap swivel with a hook attached to the snap and hook it to something, open your bail and walk out until your line is tight and then reel the line back in as you walk back towards whatever you hooked it to to help get rid of the line twist. Judt make sure to keep your line under tension as you do this.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2015, 07:19 AM »
Need to make sure your jig is not spinning. Cast out a few feet and reel up to make sure the jig stays upright. If it spins, that's your problem. Re-adjust until it retrieves without making big loops. I would also make sure the guide bearing is free on the bail. It is possible, if frozen, to introduce some twist.
When you do get a backlash, look for the loops as you unwind the line. Grab the loops and pull on them until you can remove more line. Its been years since I have had to cut line from a backlash. Your are a fisherman, so I know you will figure it out!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2015, 07:38 AM »
thanks guys. last night I used the hitch from my truck to tie line to and then took off on a walk letting all the line out. Then just made sure while reeling in the line was pretty tight. Fished this morning for a bit (about 50 casts) and all is good. We shall see. Will be using it all day tomorrow.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2015, 03:00 AM »
Braids tend to compress after several layers.
Just have to reel up braid lines snug tight.  It will work better that way.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.