Author Topic: 2020 shack build  (Read 968 times)

Offline Sodakman22

• IceShanty Rookie
2020 shack build
« on: Jun 16, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Newbie to the forum! Gonna be receiving gs built frame here shortly. Went with 18x8 single axle. Plans are to keep it simple but comfortable and built too last. Plan on using 3/4 treated on the floor with rubber matt. 2x4 for studs and 2x6s cut for the pitched roof. Going to have shack totally spray foamed with 1x6 car siding/ knotty pine on the interior. Cant decide on outside sheathing before the ribbed steel goes on. Do I NEED to sheet the hole house with sheathing (osb) or plywood or can I save weight and get by just fine. Realizing I'd be 800lbs heavier just in osb than with out. Any other advice/opinions is greatly appreciated!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: 2020 shack build
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2020, 09:53 PM »
 Welcome to Ice Shanty Sodakman22 at this time of year activity is low  so you may not get answers to your questions until around Thanksgiving. I suggest looking through the Ice Shacks Tips forum on this site you should find topics started by other members about their shanty builds . Some of these will have photos of the build which maybe helpful to you in your build. Sorry I can not give you more information personally have never built a shanty . All the best to you with this project.
 Steve

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2020 shack build
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Just my opinion but 2x3s are enough for studs and 2x4s will hold 1/2 in plywood for roof with rubber over it. 1x anything is very heavy for interior, most use 5/16s tongue and groove. Put your aluminum up on the exterior, wire it, and spray it as is. Take LOTS of pictures so you know where the wiring is before foaming for hanging stuff on the walls. Be sure to foam the floor too. Stud guards are cheap insurance where wiring goes thru studs or rafters. There are better ways for everything but most of us do it this way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.