Author Topic: A Perfect Day for the Kids at Cascade  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
A Perfect Day for the Kids at Cascade
« on: Mar 04, 2012, 11:47 PM »
My kids have been troopers this whole ice fishing season. We've had some good days on the ice and some not so good days. They have scooped holes and "bonked rods" (jiggers) every trip and they have worked hard to earn a "fast action" perch day. Well, yesterday they got it. They had a blast running from hole to hole setting the hook on jumbos. They caught the majority of the fish with only a little help from mom and dad.
This was their last ice fishing day for this season and I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out.
We always start our trips with a visit to Tackle Toms. The kids get a treat and always look forward to petting the black lab when he is there. It's the best place for last minute needs and it's always nice to talk with Tom.

Here are some pics and videos of our trip.

This is my son hammering the perch on a Chubby Darter. They were pretty much hooking themselves. (For some reason the camera didn't pick up the flasher very well.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ZXxJ8QPF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjvbpd5dBtc

This video shows how sensitive a Jigger Totter is. JTs have helped teach my kids know when to set the hook. They are now self sustained hook setting machines. (Sorry for the weird camera angle)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81qkWB5gSGY

Here are some pics from the trip. Again, the kids caught most of these and we figure we threw back about as many as we kept.

After Dad filleted all of the fish. (I can't wait until the kids are able to do this themselves) we had a fish fry. We cooked some up Cajun style with blackened seasoning, along with some other flavors.

I don't post much but I wanted to show how much fun the kids can have. All of the time and frustration of teaching your kids to fish pays off after a day like this.
One lesson the kids want me to learn is to stop buying those dang BBQ burritos from Howdys for the long trip home. :whistle:  :sick:
Good Luck to everyone for the rest of the season.  :icefish:

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
Re: A Perfect Day for the Kids at Cascade
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2012, 05:44 AM »
That has gotta be one of the best post of this season.It doesnt get any better than to have the kiddies out and catchin fish,espically sweet lookin perch like that.Congrats on the awesome day of catchin... Oh ya,let the wifey know..those goggles are HOT !!!!..lol... JT

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:07 AM »
Outstanding !!!!! What a great day and how awesome to see the kids catching fish and then eating them....the world needs more of that for the kids vs. Video games and tv dinners...congrats
BOWHUNTER68

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2012, 06:09 PM »
That was just awesome.  I'm a big fan of the jigger totters myself.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Perchfreak,

Thank you for so many reasons! First and foremost getting and keeping the little ones into enjoying, respecting and using the great outdoors the truly enhance (or may I even say...bless) their lives. I take great comfort in knowing that most, if not all of us, on here have young ones we are raising to be responsible outdoorsmen and women. Best trip I ever had ice fishing was two weeks ago with two of my children at the Derby. They had a blast and I was totally there to make sure they were safe, taught good sportsmanship, learned to appreciate the beauty of the winter on the ice, respect others and to have a great time. Yeah....the catching and my 10yr old son winning twice was cool. But that was icing on an already tasty cake!

Second, for taking us from the lake to the kitchen. Not many of us actually post pics of fish in their second most beautiful state of a meal. YUMMMMMMYYYYY!!!

And last and definitely least, near and dear to my own heart...teaching the kids that they can become complete and self-performing anglers with the use of the Jigger Totters!!! C'mon, you guys had to know I couldn't leave it unsaid, LOL :thumbsup:

Anyway, Perchfreak, for someone who doesn't post much, Brother you knocked this one out of the park....Thanks again and very much....

Hogger

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Thanks Guys! It really was a fun time!

JT -  The wife got a kick out of the goggles comment.
She was riding the snowmobile around and just figured she would keep them on the whole time.  ::)

Hogger - The JT's are awesome for the kids. They have sped up the learning curve on detecting bites and what a bite looks like, but still make it so the fisherman has to pick the right time to set the hook.  I can't say enough good things about em.

I hope to get a few more trips in, but the steelhead are calling. Maybe I will see some of you out there. Good Luck!

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:25 AM »
someone say steelhead..... yes they are here, you might see me up by riggins possibly..... awesome pics, great family trip, I took the whole family up steelheading and they had a great time, even though they spent most of it in the pool.....
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2012, 10:21 AM »
Excellent post. Reminds me of growing up on a lake in northern Wisconsin. My dad took us out almost daily. Great reading. thanks.
Fish hard, or go home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.