Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: "Fisherman stranded on Spirit Lake, found unhurt"  (Read 1342 times)

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: "Fisherman stranded on Spirit Lake, found unhurt"
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:58 AM »
I see how this could happen. I became turned around in the fog on Spirit in my pick-up a couple of weeks back.
Forgot my GPS  :blink:... had to use the compass in the rear-view mirror to get turned back around the right direction.
It was very foggy that day.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2010, 08:57 PM »
**censored** its not lske erie? haha you could just walk straight for ten minutes and find the shore
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2010, 12:20 AM »
With all due respect....  If I am 200 yards out off of Marble Beach or Buffalo Run ( on Sunday at dusk with the fog we were 200 yards out or so, still light enough out to see, we could not see the shoreline) and I get turned around and end up going East/North east I could end up walking 3.5 miles headed towards Anglers Bay,dragging my gear through slush, snow, and standing water, and that is provided I don't walk a mile then turn right and head to the south end coming out at the spillway.  It's not a cornfield either, no straight line for you to follow one way or the other.   Not trying to bag on you, just having been out there in that fog, I can see how you could get out of sorts...

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2010, 10:26 AM »
I've been lost on Big Creek before. Being disoriented is not a fun deal. Any kind of fog or snow, or not being able to see the stars to orient yourself. It's very easy. So, judge all you want, until you've been there, you have no opinion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.