Author Topic: Striker Hardwater or Predator?  (Read 8455 times)

Offline Schroeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Striker Hardwater or Predator?
« on: Dec 28, 2016, 07:56 PM »
New to the ice game and looking at getting new bibs and coat.  Looking at the Striker line but not sure between these two models.  The hardwater bibs have my attention due to the heavier material they are made of, but I do get hot quickly when moving around.  How durable are the Predator bibs?  I'll likely end up with the Predator coat, just trying to decide on bibs.  Thanks for any info.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Striker Hardwater or Predator?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:57 AM »
You and I are in the same boat when it comes to getting over heated.  I went with the Hardwater bibs and Predator coat because the coat and bibs over lap and I was worried about being too warm.  The material on the Hardwater bibs is pretty heavy duty, which is what I wanted, but when it comes to warm most of the time I have the zippers opened some to vent out the extra heat.  With them you could get away with wearing a light weight pair of work pants, like Dickies, and be warm.  I was out the one time when it was around 0 with high winds and I was toasty warm with the Hardwater bibs.  The Predator material is noticeably thinner and would probably hold up well as long as you're not too tough on them.  I'm not sure how cold it gets out your way but I don't think you'd regret going with the Hardwater bibs and Predator coat.  Besides if you get cold, which I highly doubt you will, you could always put on a sweat shirt.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:00 AM »

best video on the nuances of the models .

If you run and gun ..Predator with proper layering per the day conditions...similar to Clams Blue suit for rated 7

if you tend to get cold and/or bucket fish w/o a shelter a lot ...Hardwater  rated 9

Climate kinda the best of both worlds ...rated 4 w/o liners and 10 with liners
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WNYangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:40 AM »
Just got the Predator coat with the hardwater bibs and am very happy with the combo.

Offline Schroeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2016, 03:06 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Now, if only they'd hurry up and go back on Sale.... LOL

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:22 PM »
I hear you there Pal, my friend is looking to buy the Predator coat but wants to get it on sale.  He said he saw them before Christmas for around $150 but he couldn't get it because he was buying stuff for his kids for Christmas.  I admire him for that and have been looking for sales, if I find any I'll post it here.  Please do the same.

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:10 AM »
I just got the predator bibs, going to try them out this weekend

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:28 PM »
I'm sure you'll like them and won't be cold, odds are you might be a bit too warm. 

Offline MO FISH jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Just got the predator bibs and coat, got the perfect weekend to try them out with single digit lows and teens for the highs. I'm very impressed with the fit and how warm they are. Only wearing a base layer of polar tec fleece unders and pair of jeans and a long sleeve tshirt I was comfortable all day. Disclaimer if you open the vents you'll think they don't work lol.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Just got the predator bibs and coat, got the perfect weekend to try them out with single digit lows and teens for the highs. I'm very impressed with the fit and how warm they are. Only wearing a base layer of polar tec fleece unders and pair of jeans and a long sleeve tshirt I was comfortable all day. Disclaimer if you open the vents you'll think they don't work lol.

Lose the jeans and go for fleece sweat pants or something comparable ...cotton/denim..is a no no ...good luck with your purchase. Now don't forget where you put stuff ...pockets pockets pockets ...love my SI gear.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:18 AM »
I was very impressed with the predator bibs

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2017, 02:46 PM »
I was very impressed with the predator bibs
So was i until a zipper tooth broke and zipper came unzipped , called factory got return authorization # however they are out of stock until next year . so decided to spend extra $ and have them send out hardwater upgrade which were instock .i was supposed to get a call from the factory when they received which they did and was signed by Melony .
i have called multiple times to get answering machine and have not received email response either .

To  add more bad to this story my predator parka inside pocket ripped putting a cell phone in it [ stitching looks to be weak]  I will have a local seamstress sew this as i m not going to deal with striker again.

More bad - last year i was looking for the Transporter bag started calling last September [ to the factory]  called 4 times left 3 messages NEVER did get call back .
Luckily for me i got ahold of Tanya at Kabeles in Spirit lake and she held one for me GREAT GREAT store and shes trying to help me with the suit , but its hard when rarely  anyone answer messages or answers the phone ..and in this case everyone is gone for 2 weeks but there's no message saying that on any of the voice mails..
moral to story if you're going to spend $400-$500 on a suit make sure you can get service if needed, and not have to wait a year for restock..
guarantee you call clam they'll answer ph.
although i have both suits I A and Striker both suit s have good and bad BUT i think the Clam IA has held up better over a year and my Striker suit is only 2 months old .

FRUSTRATED ! wish there was an American made quality suit , id pay 10-20% more

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.