Author Topic: TipUp Help Needed  (Read 538 times)

Offline Moldman52

• IceShanty Rookie
TipUp Help Needed
« on: Nov 11, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Fellow Ice Fishers,   we will making a trip to the U.P. of Michigan mid January and will be taking a few tip ups for walleye. Never used them before and would like some basic information on setting them up. Any help such as type of line, steel leader(in case a northern is in the area) weight setup and hook type and size would surely help. Thanks for all your help.
Wishing You All Straight Shooting, Tight Lines and a Limit of Fun

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: TipUp Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2018, 05:41 AM »
Check out "Tipup" section in forum. Lotsa good info there.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2018, 06:44 AM »
I stopped using steel leaders when the good fluoro line became available. A 20 or 30 pound test fluoro leader with the hook tied directly to it has been working for me, and I may have had 1 bite-off. There is less line scare of wary pike versus the heavy-looking leader, and as a result you get more flags in clear water.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2018, 06:53 AM »
YouTube has lots of videos n

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2018, 01:14 PM »
30 lb fluorocarbon but only leader material. For pike or walleye a spinner blade and a couple of glow beads either above the hook or above the split shot. I don't tie I crimp my line now and use a quality ball bearing swivel on the tip-up dacron line that's used as backer. Keep your leader length around 12-18".

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2018, 04:18 PM »
My tip ups are set for walleyes, not a lot of northern pike in the lakes I fish for walleyes and the water is darker/stained so I use a 2ft 8lb mono leader to a small treble or single hook with the smallest split shot I can that will keep my minnow down by the bottom

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2018, 04:35 PM »
8 pound mono to 12 pound mono..

We use single hooks and treble hook..  I quick snell the treble on then add the single hook via a clinch knot short to treble hook. The single hook is for the nose of the emerald shiners and treble in the back..  I usally snell them right to the line on my windlass or the tip downs..  if your going to bay de noc  might want to check in to tip downs or clam windlass tip ups??  the clam straps right on the rod/reel and works like a tip down kinda sort of but has a flag.. were the butt of the rod on tip downs are the flag..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.