Author Topic: Mr Heater Big Buddy Cooker top  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr Heater Big Buddy Cooker top
« on: Nov 08, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Wanted to share a quick, cheap and easy way to make a cook top for your Big Buddy heaters. I got all the supplies minus the grate at Menards for under $10.

[/url

It sets up in a couple seconds, it’s very sturdy, light and takes up minimal space. When your done with it just hook the hooks up to the grate and stow it away.

[url=https://postimg.cc/30YVC1wM]

Looking forward to some hot food on the ice this season!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Mr Heater Big Buddy Cooker top
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2018, 03:31 PM »
Do you guys that cook over a buddy heater have issues with food dripping all over the heater or unit itself? Or do you not "cook" over it as in steak and just use it more as a warmer.
Just add water.

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Do you guys that cook over a buddy heater have issues with food dripping all over the heater or unit itself? Or do you not "cook" over it as in steak and just use it more as a warmer.

You need to cook in a foil pan or on tin foil. Im mostly looking to heat up cans of soup,reheat food or cook brats ect.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2018, 03:50 PM »
Gator says
Wanted to share a quick, cheap and easy way to make a cook top for your Big Buddy heaters. I got all the supplies minus the grate at Menards for under $10.

Gator, Keep a close eye on it when you fire it up. It looks like the grate is resting on the handle. The handle can actually melt if it gets too hot.  I had this happen on one of mine while cooking. It didn't burn, but it did mess up the handle. I am more careful now.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2018, 03:53 PM »

Just get one of these about as easy as it gets ;)

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2018, 04:07 PM »

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2018, 04:09 PM »

Just get one of these about as easy as it gets ;)
specific place you find these?

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Gator says
Gator, Keep a close eye on it when you fire it up. It looks like the grate is resting on the handle. The handle can actually melt if it gets too hot.  I had this happen on one of mine while cooking. It didn't burn, but it did mess up the handle. I am more careful now.

Good thinking. Im going to get a High temp rubber hose and slice it open and slip it on where the grate rest on the handle to make sure it doesn't melt the handle. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2018, 04:17 PM »
specific place you find these?

DO NOT COOK ON THOSE

They are galvanized  (They are for painting).....  Galvanizing will burn off into your food.  (No Bueno)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2018, 04:20 PM »
I will post pictures of mine later any how that handles going to burn if you use it the way it sits!!

I used a cheap harbor freight break to bend a cooling rack or a roasting pan version of one I paid 3.79 for..  bent one side up one down the down side I hook on to the grill of the big buddy it's self..  then the other side I fold upward so stuff would not slide off..  any how I used one of the wires that form the cooling rack..  I cut and attached  to the grill buddy heater as a strut..  I  hooked it on at another point before doing the struts .. I will have to get pictures later cause its packed in the car for a fishing trip for friday after work!! But I sure if you got two plate of metal or a board on a work bench you could fold the 90* bends easily the type I used..

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2018, 05:38 PM »
FYI there is a perm thread for that:  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=132730.0

like 360+ replies.

The way it is titled, a search for "mr.buddy" gets you there, but many other simple searches won't.

Enjoy!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2018, 01:55 AM »
If you're just looking to heat something up you can just insert the grill that it comes with upside down.  I'll often heat up something from the donut shop in the paper bag that it comes in.  Just flip it around every couple of minutes.  Croissants or donuts will have you're hut smelling like a bakery in no time.  Hot dogs and left over pizza are also big hits. 

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:16 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

DO NOT COOK ON THOSE

They are galvanized  (They are for painting).....  Galvanizing will burn off into your food.  (No Bueno)

That's only if you cook directly on the grates right?
Da Pack!

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:26 PM »
That's only if you cook directly on the grates right?

I'm no chemist but I believe that the coating can create gases that are not friendly when they are heated up.  We made one for a friends buddy and after bending it to our liking we tossed it into the camp fire for a while and let me burn off the coating.  Not saying its perfect to use now but I've heard enough people take about the coating.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Gator says

I guess I'm not the only one that did that while cooking!! LOL
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2018, 01:54 PM »
I guess I'm not the only one that did that while cooking!! LOL

Is the damage done to the heater due to cooking in a foil bread pan to close to the handle? From all I have been reading it sounds like if I keep whatever I'm heating a safe distance away from the handle on the big buddy i shouldn't have any issues. It seams you need to keep a spacing from the plastic handle because the heat radiants off the foil and reflects the heat to the handle. It also sounds like most the people that have damaged there heaters have done so using the bread pans probably because they are taller and reflect the heat more.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2018, 02:50 PM »
The photo shows what happened when I was heating water in a large coffee/tea pot. The issue was exactly as you stated. I centered the pot over the heat and the side of the pot towards the handle was too close and the heat deflected from under the coffee pot towards the handle.  Now that I know that, I just don't center the pot and it is fine.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2018, 07:30 PM »
This is what I do, simple, cook burgers, steak, eggs, keep my apple cider warm.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Gator says

I have an older model which actually has a metal handle. I've hooked a veggie grill basket to mine. It works for cooking dogs/brats with foil and general warming duties.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Mines works with the perculator coffee pot to keep the coffee warm.. I will have to get a pic of the set up asap.. when I empty the car out..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.