Author Topic: world record perch  (Read 66610 times)

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
world record perch
« on: Jul 18, 2004, 10:36 PM »
i was just wondering if anybody knew where i could find a picture of the world record perch and how big it was or any state records. are state record in sd is 2.9pounds

PerchBusterSD

Re: world record perch
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2004, 08:59 AM »
i believe the world record is 4 pounds 3 oz.

UKpro

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2004, 02:51 PM »
the world record is not 4 pounds 3oz because over here in england the record is about 5 and a half pounds and perch over 4 pounds are very common

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2004, 06:17 PM »
and is there a pic of it?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2004, 07:35 PM »
There's no pictures of the world record perch that I know of.

Perch, yellow     4lbs-3 oz   Bordentown, NJ     May, 1865     Dr. C.C. Abbot

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

UKpro

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2004, 03:55 PM »
and is there a pic of it?

there should be somewhere i will ask around but it will be hard to find

UKpro

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2004, 04:11 PM »
the world record is not 4 pounds 3oz because over here in england the record is about 5 and a half pounds and perch over 4 pounds are very common
if you want to see a big perch check out www.thefishingzone.org/html_site/perch_info_html.html

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2004, 04:46 PM »
That, my friend, is a gigantic perch!!!  :o :woot: :o And it is "only" 4 lbs. 6 oz.!
The state record perch for Pennsylvania was caught Ice Fishing in February, 2000.
It was 16.25" long and weighed 2 lbs. 9 oz.
Ken                                          

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2004, 05:26 PM »
Just FYI.....the perch in the UK are not the same as the yellow perch in the US. The european perch are Perca Fluviatilis ...and the yellow perch in the US are Perca flavescens.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2004, 05:43 PM »
This is my source for record information
World Fish Records
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

UKpro

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2004, 02:23 PM »
Just FYI.....the perch in the UK are not the same as the yellow perch in the US. The european perch are Perca Fluviatilis ...and the yellow perch in the US are Perca flavescens.
you do have european perch in america and canada when i have gone to see my family in michigan and toronto i have caught european perch in both places but my uncle says they dont grow as big as in england and uk

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2004, 07:51 PM »
you do have european perch in america and canada when i have gone to see my family in michigan and toronto i have caught european perch in both places but my uncle says they dont grow as big as in england and uk

Well, UKpro, I'm siding with Esox on this one.  The European/Asian perch is completely geographically isolated from the North American one, and most scientific thinking is that the two are separate species.  The European one (P. fluviatilis) is HUGE compared to the N.A. one (P. flavescens) , and is often called the Redfin Perch as opposed to the N.A. Yellow Perch.  For a good, but general comparison, go to the link below to see the difference.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Perch
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2004, 05:52 AM »
They dont even look the same.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

UKpro

« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2004, 11:47 AM »
They dont even look the same.
they are similar but definatly different. just fyi if u are thinking of coming to england the weather is perfect for big perch right now i went today and caught 9 seven of them were 2-3 pounds 1 of them was diddy and the other 1 was just over 3 i also caught pike and chub

Paradice

« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2004, 04:35 PM »
MN record is 3lbs. 4oz.   page 79 of MN Fish Reg Book. 

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing.pdf

Check it out.

perchpile

« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:59 PM »
MI state record is 3-12 page 21 rule book

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2005, 10:55 PM »
Those world records can not be correct.  The New York state Musky is 69 lbs. 15 oz.  This list shows the record as 65 lbs. 

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Those world records can not be correct.  The New York state Musky is 69 lbs. 15 oz.  This list shows the record as 65 lbs. 

That fish, caught by Art Lawton in the St. Lawrence River, is no longer recognized by the IGFA as the world record, due to conflicts regarding the actual size of the fish (doubts were raised as to how accurate the weight was, based on length and girth). So the IGFA now recognizes the current record, which came from Chippewa Flowage, in Wisconsin (It was Chippewa Flowage, was it not? Correct me if I'm not...). However, the state of NY still recognizes Lawtons fish for the state record.

-Zach

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:58 PM »
If there are European perch in Canada they were probably illegally imported. I know it would be illegal to do so here in the U.S. However there are a few renagades doing some reaseach on them here in closed systems but they aren't supposed to have them. I was told this by a PHD colleague but he had no names.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:41 PM »
one of the main differences i can see in these fish is that ours doesnt have red fins, and the UKs does ;D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2006, 09:22 AM »
I respectfully disagree. Our male perch can have intensely red fins especially during spawning time while the females tend to stay yellow to orange. Here's my avatar perch I caught last year and even though she is a female she has some pretty bright fins. Males have even more intense fins.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:20 PM »
European perch are much larger- the hump on the back and the striping is completely different

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:49 PM »
If the genetics of European perch and American perch are slightly different then sure they are different "species".    But if we are going by looks and size alone.   Then The Florida bass and the New York bass would be differnt species.     Like someone mentioned on the first page, the scientific names of the two perch are different then they are different fish.   

You cannot say two fish are different species by size or looks, because as we all know that one perch can look totally different from the next we pull through the same ice hole and also differnt from fish to fish and lake to lake and deep water and shallow, murky and clear water.     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:14 AM »
Well you guys aren't going to believe this but the American Fisheries Society had decided the Florida Largemouth is so different from the northern largemouth it is designating it as a separate species. So much for look a like fish species.

Yep European perch is slightly different from it's North American counterpart and gets bigger. The European Zander is also simlilar to the walleye and it also gets larger.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:02 PM »
the only way to tell the difference for sure is the european perch has an accent...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:17 PM »
LOL ;D
the only way to tell the difference for sure is the european perch has an accent...

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:26 PM »

Well yeah that's common knowledge.  ;)

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:19 PM »
guys ,this is the same yellow perch ;D. If u wanna proof go to the old continent and do some ice fishing. I were ice fishing In Europe for 13 years and 3 years in this country, one thing i can say it's the same yellow perch ( Perca fluviatilis ). And the colors are the same. Back home in Lithuania the record is above 2 KG it's more than 4Lb.It's not rare to catch 2-3 Lb perch in Europe or Russia.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Kinda like the difference b/t the northern pike here and there.  For some reason there have been some huge pike caught over there, but none of them are recognized as records.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:48 PM »
yeh, did u read how much stuff IGFA requires.u need to prepare big time to make a claim.and the big catch most of the time is only once in the lifetime opportunity.U don't know when,where,if u gonna have it or not. i'm sure u caught a lot of big fish ,but did u ever try to claim it somewhere not even IGFA.It's all about a time and money and not everyone can afford it especially in other countries.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.