Author Topic: perch rod  (Read 5776 times)

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
perch rod
« on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:24 AM »
What is your favorite rod to fish small spoons, and a few jigs for perch?  I'm looking for a new rod to use mainly for halis some  pimples and frostee jigs.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: perch rod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Thorne Bros. Perch Sweetheart-- a classic perchin' rod. Mine's lasted 10+ years...  :)

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:57 AM »
anybody use a marmish rod for the perch??? very curious about them

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:04 AM »
I was hoping for a little more response about what people are using and like, but the thorn bros is one of the rods I am looking to upgrade too.  As far as the marmish rod goes, I do use it with a small jig tipped with meat when I can draw perch in with the bigger lures, but they won't strike.  I usually end up in a touch over 15 feet of water, and they can be a bit of a pain to use that deep.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:10 AM »
I got the HT Ice Blues. I love it. Broke it earlier this year and looked around for a new one. Decided to stick to what I know and like. Mainly I use tiny bibbits. The rod is very sensitive for the light bites!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:57 AM »
I use the Frabill Ice Hunter 26" Light for perch.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:19 PM »
ht 42 inch super ultra light
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:46 PM »
St croix all the way.JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Thorne bros perch sweet heart is also my favorite perch rod.  Cannot beat the sensitivity and feel of that rod.  Perfect action for working small spoons (also love it for working a jiggin rap)

Offline nove

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Another vote for the Thorne bros. Perch SweetHeart rod.
I didn't want to spend the money,but glad I did!!!   :)
   It's definitely my favorite
           -nove

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Working small spoons have to go to the Thorne Bros. perch sweetheart rod.  Deadsticking I still favor my Cajun Ice Rod.  When the fish are finicky, it's the Thorne Bros. panfish sweetheart rod.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:13 PM »
I don't have much experience with upper price or custom rods. I usually use a noodle rod for my smaller jigs but now use Frabill Quicktips for my spoons.

I love the 27" and always have medium to large halis and buckshots tied on. The tip is just limber enough to show ALMOST every twitch of the hit and has more than enough backbone to bring those better perch up from the depths. I often catch perch in over 40 feet of water so that backbone is nice for the hook set and fight.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:04 PM »
I was teetering between the jason mitchell perch rod, and the thorn bros rod.  I have never really heard much feedback about the perch series from thorn bros before this.  Everything is always about the quiverstick and panfish sweetheart rods.   Everyone here posting about them seems to really like them, so it is prob the better way to go.

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:27 AM »
The quiverstick and the panfish sweet heart are more finesse rods than the perch sweetheart.  As you said you would be fishing mainly hali's, pimples, and frostees I would definitely go with the perch sweetheart.  The action of this rod is perfect for working the lures mentioned.  If you were fishing more along the lines of small jigs (marmooska's gill pils, etc.) then you may want to look into the quiverstick or panfish sweetheart. 

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:36 AM »
I guess I should have been more clear in my last post.  I meant that the only thorn bros rods I have heard feedback about were the panfish sweetheart and the quiverstick series.  The three rods I'm Eying up are the
Perch sweetheart, the jason mitchell perch rod, and the st croix ml action to cover the spoons mentioned. 

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:10 PM »
I have not tried the Jason Mitchell rod, but I have both a perch sweetheart and a St.Croix ml.  Not even a comparison.  Definitely go with the perch sweetheart, IMO worth every penny

Offline kastmaster693

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Another vote for the Frabill Quicktips.  Good backbone for the deep perch and really light tip is great for the finicky ones.  I would also recommend the St. Croix Legend ML.  Love the spring bobber for the light biters.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:59 PM »
For an extra 10 bucks over the croix, it appears to be the better bet to go with the thorn bros rod.

Offline bigkris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I just tried to order a pearch sweetheart, they are out of the blanks and won't have any blanks for three weeks. Went with the 32" panfish will try to get a perch befor next season.

Offline jiggin jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "drillin holes & jiggin poles"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:05 AM »
H.T icelander pro 24inch ultra light cheap and works well combo for about 30 bucks

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Frabill ultra light great rod caught my two punder on it fought like a pickerel.
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I have two that I currently use.

20" ice pro UL w/ 10 bearing pfluger presidente

28" st. croix UL w/ 9 bearing pfleuger presidente

I really like both of them, I might try a thorn bro's rod next time but I was able to buy these in town and I like supporting local businesses.
 The 20" is great inside the shack fishing small plastics and light jigging spoons, the 28" is my outdoor rod and I usually run small jigging spoons/teetots on it with good success.

:tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2011, 06:42 AM »
I've been using bro series by frabill quicktip 27". Nice tip plenty of backbone for a little bigger fish. Also been using st croix premier ul and ml. 28" they are a fun rod reel combo that have put a lot of perch on the table. A lot of good rods on the market. Thorne bros have no rods left for this year. I already called them. Waiting til next fall to get a 32" perch rod.
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2011, 03:21 AM »
Just bought this HT 15" Ultralight for $10 and put a cheap reel on it. Works for me, nailed a perch on it already. Was catching walleye, but when the flasher showed a small one that wouldn't go for the live minnow, I grabbed this rod and dropped in the tiny jig with a minnow head.
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.