Author Topic: Do I have everything I need?  (Read 8081 times)

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
Do I have everything I need?
« on: Aug 26, 2014, 07:37 PM »
I'm brand new to ice fishing (and fishing in general), but ,I have the bug and I love to fish.
Anyway, I've searched the forum and haven't been able to come up with all the info I need, so I decided to finally post instead of lurk.

So far I have;

A 3 (really 2) man pop up
A vex fl-8 genz pack
A humminbird ice 55
A big buddy heater with the big tank hose extension
A quantum optic ice rod
I have really good boots and mitts
And I own a silverado with 4x4

I will be also be getting;
A Strikemaster 10"auger
A snow suit
A GPS
Cleats
and some ice fishing tackle

Am I missing anything important?

I've thought about a sled for everything a few times but not sure if I'll really need it or not with owning a truck.

Thoughts?

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Do I have everything I need?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2014, 07:39 PM »
You never have "enough" stuff  :P  How about a 4-wheeler?  With tracks?

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:00 PM »
You don't always need the best or most equipment to be a successful ice fisherman.  Start out with what your comfortable with and work your way into it. I also agree that we all feel we never have enough it's the nature of the sport as with any sport I suppose , but Don't overlook the cheap safety equipment that I feel is a necessity such as a pair of spikes to pull yourself out just in case and a rope to help someone else out. Wish you the best of luck and stay safe .
Tight lines ;D

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

Most of the gear I've purchased used, the auger is new in the box but I'm getting it for literally half price! And everything else,.. Well, I figure, I should really dig in and get the best if what I can afford so that ice fishing is enjoyable and fun! Cause if it's cold, miserable and boring I'll probably give it up.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Good layering system ...polypropylene ...wool etc
safety equipment...chisel ,rope , ice picks....fishing partner
cleats ..recommend Kahtoola micro
Jet sled xl or equivalent
7 gallon bucket ..height better for your back
good bait bucket ...bait pucks
good head lamp ...Energizer 6 LED
tip downs for crappie

from your list your well on your way ...add what you can when you can

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2014, 09:09 PM »
copy of in-fisher mens ice fishing secrets to speed time up wile not fishing ? the layering is always a good idea too by the way they got use copies on half.com for like $8. isbn of book is: 0-929384-19-9  retail for book is 11.95 +s&h for 8 bucks total including the shipping. i don't see how you could go wrong. cause there is tons of info on how to read lakes and how to use these tactic on how to fish those lakes and plan you approaches on how to fish for every species. pan fish, trout, bass, pike, musky, perch, and walleye all in one book.  plus how to use stuff like flashers to find fish and catch them.   what to take and what not to take with to keep it simple...  best book i have read yet  so search that isbn number else ware and on half.com.  this is the best advise i can give on the ice fishing subject...

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Welcome to the shanty !!

It looks like you are off to a good start . One thing you should have is a spud bar . They are the best thing to check early season and late season ice conditions.

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2014, 09:51 PM »
yes all good  except scrape the the silverdo and get dodge. lol

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Your off to a good start.
How do you plan to fish and for what?
I find it odd you have no tipups but plan on getting a 10" auger.
There are 2, well 3 types of ice fishing and equipment types to go with each style.
Sit and watch tipups or tip downs, hole hop/jigging and a combo of the two.
If you plan to set in your pop up and jig I'd get some tipups or tip downs to set out and watch.
If you aren't going for trophy pike I'd get a 6 or 8" auger 10 is just to big. If you have 2 holes in the shack every thing you drop will be down the hole, most feet and your flasher will fit down them too.
Definitely get a sled bigger the better on this one. You cant drive your truck on early or late ice and that is when the fishing is at its best.
PS if you add your location to your profile it helps us help you. By knowing your region we will know common tactics that go on there.
Good luck out there this year and be safe...
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2014, 07:58 AM »
Starting off a lot better than I did! Hand auger, a pole and a bucket was what I had my first year lol

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Serious consideration to safety items.  ice picks and if you are looking for warm outerwear - consider a float suit - there are lots of options out there today.  Footwear?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Good start really, wish I had your stuff when I first started out. Personally, I'd consider a deep sled for all your stuff, the ice won't be thick enough all season to drive out, so you'll need one. Otter makes decent ones.

I second, third and fourth the need for a quality suit. Nothing worse than being cold and or wet when it's below freezing. Striker Ice makes a really nice one that floats. I bought the Hardwater bibs and the Climate parka. The parka is a 3-1 and offers layering. I also have a Gore-tex uninsulated suit, great wind block, keeps me dry and allows me to layer as I see fit.

The base layer is probably the most important item of clothing you'll wear. I've found that you get what you pay for. And thus far, the Under Armor Base 4.0 is some of the best I've come across. No matter what you decide on, but a base layer that's breathable and won't keep you dam like cotton.

I'd also toss in a good set of hemostats and a good multi-tool.

To me being comfortable is the most important part of this sport. I spend a majority of my time on the ice at night and without warm gear and decent equipment, it's just not as fun.

Also....somewhere down the line, get one of these or a snowmobile, pretty priceless when the snow gets thick and your truck isn't going to cut it.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:25 AM »
After the other additions, the only things I can add...

A good skimmer - I like "The Big Dipper"
A hand towel to clean/dry your hands after a catch

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:35 AM »
I almost forgot the most used item I have...a boot and mitt dryer. Priceless.

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!
Updated my location for you all.
The 10" hole I think will be fine. I'll be goin for lakers and like too!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!
Updated my location for you all.
The 10" hole I think will be fine. I'll be goin for lakers and like too!

that book i mentioned covers them as in "laker's" are you using tip up's or jigging? for the laker's?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Sorry for the subject change there dmm26 - but ---
52isntbigenough those are the new Polaris Tracks on that new 570?  How much time you got on them and how do you like them?  I got a set (going on the 4th season now) of the Tatou 4s tracks on my 2010 550. Like them a lot and would not trade for a sled of any kind.

Those drive sprockets look huge.  Does there seem to be a big reduction in speed?  I get 43 mph, top end, (gps reading) with my tracks and 550.

If you have not had it on the ice yet - you are going to like it.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Yup, they're the Prospector ii Pro track set. Gottem with the 570 last february, I GPS'd it the first time out in Low at 32 in 20" of snow. I sorta laugh when people say, Yeah, but those tracks cut your speed in half". My answer is always.."how fast you think your wheeled atv makes through 24" of snow with 6 inches of slush under it?" Speed for me isn't important, i ride 7 miles from my house to my walleye spots, getting there with all my gear is.

I was seriously considering the 4s tracks, but my dealer gave me a smoking hot deal on a new Prospector kit and figured if i had warranty issues, Id have less hassles having all Polaris parts.

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:15 PM »

that book i mentioned covers them as in "laker's" are you using tip up's or jigging? for the laker's?

Probly jigging, but I am considering buying a tip up.

And 52, that's such a sweet rig!
Won't happen for me this year, maybe a sled though, something a little older.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:24 PM »

Probly jigging, but I am considering buying a tip up.

And 52, that's such a sweet rig!
Won't happen for me this year, maybe a sled though, something a little older.

the book shows how to place tip ups and jig for laker's in combination to so keep it in mind.so a lot of techniques like how to set tip up  and how to set the trigger mechanism on the tip ups etc.. etc... trust me it is a book you should have!

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Thanks, I'm gonna pick up a copy off amazon.ca :-)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:33 PM »
don't forget the crappie wisdom book i said in your other post while your at it lol's these books will help locate crappie all year round... and give a few other techniques too.. but the books will help pass the time till winter get here lol's..if your in to walleye they even got walleye video's i have not seen yet but i am sure are pretty good know the book i got...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Aug 28, 2014, 05:33 AM »
I second the In-fisherman Ice Secrets book ...lot of good info packed into that lil book ..I have a lot of their DVD's for ice fishing all are very informative...got me hooked and hooked up .. they do make a combo pack book/DVD ..although the DVD is a lil dated the information is still relative ..don't forget to purchase their  2015 Ice Guide ..should be available soon ...mostly new products but a fun read .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 28, 2014, 07:05 AM »
just make sure that your snow suit is windproof ad waterproof.
might I add a fishing partner? more fun with company. also helps pass the time between flags. definitely get some kind of traps. recommend a couple of rods so that you can have different jigs without constantly changing.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Agreed on a good ice suit ( lots of options and options )  ....in my area I can get away most days with just my suit and good layering bucket fishing so to speak ....also no excuse not to have a good rod(s)...most retailers have better stock then years past ...this past season upgraded my rods and what a true difference it made ..check your local retailers then shop on line if your looking for a deal ..gave away my chunky clunky shorter old rods to my buddys kid

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Probably a couple more rods are in order at least 1 extra. Its nice to have something different tied on another rod if you get a big mark on the flasher but cant get it to bite your current presentation.

Also it took me years before buying a flasher and you're starting with two, although I love my FL-8 you'll probably end up leaving it home, the bird 55 is top end stuff. Unless you have a partner you will be lending the Vex too I would consider selling it.

Offline lazyicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:51 PM »
If you don't already have a specific GPS unit in mind then you might want to check out the Navionics smart phone app.  I think it's been renamed Boating USA by Navionics.  It's certainly not a perfect app but it was well worth the price for me personally.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.