New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Irondequoit Bay 2021  (Read 4186 times)

Offline RSLfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Irondequoit Bay 2021
« on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:13 AM »
Ice thickness on the bay? Have seen guys on south side of the bay bridge.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Irondequoit Bay 2021
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:03 AM »
There are some recent reports over in "reports and conditions" section. Some people fishing south end but sounds like ice varies.

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Never fished IB before, not looking for spots just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction as to where to access the bay and nearest bait shop? Thanks I’m advance.
Fish on! Ice Fishing Team Yamagoochy

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:03 AM »
S & R Bait on Culver up by Seabreeze. They had emeralds last I knew. It’s nowhere near the most common access point which is the Fish & Game Club area I guess. I don’t ice fish I Bay. I don’t trust the ice and I don’t want to be lumped in with the slobs who litter the ice and the parking lot so I can’t help much more. I saw one hut out at the first marker channels on Sunday and a whole bunch of groups on the shallow bay on the northeast corner. There’s access there as well but the fishing won’t be as good and the motorcycles were ripping around the ice as well so if you don’t mind listening to the equivalent of a half dozen chain saws buzzing in your brain, that’s an option.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Excuse me, but not all of us are “slobs”. I fact most all I’ve encountered on Ibay over my 50+ years of fishing it are far from that description.  Yes there’s a few. Just like every other body of water.

S&R is a good bait shop. Good small business.

Just a caution on the NE Corner. Conditions change rapidly in warming weather. Only place I’ve ever gone through. Lots of gas pockets in that shallow water. South end is more predictable. Access from the  Irondequoit bay fish and game club. Or thereabouts. Be mindful of their property.

Not hard to spot the crowd and trail out.

Have fun.
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2021, 04:07 PM »
Nice post RG. Thanks for sharing.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:00 PM »
Excuse me, but not all of us are “slobs”.
Yeah...that was dickish of me. Apologies. I didn’t mean to offend you or lump you in. My experience has been less positive there than most other places I fish. A few rotten apples have me fishing elsewhere is all. Plus I get enough Perch in Spring and Fall, and enough Walleye from May to September, to have me longing for less crowded parking lots and crowds when I want to hit the ice. I don’t have a machine so I have to be creative to avoid the crowds and get the peace I’m looking for when I fish. Go get ‘em though. There’ve been some good looking pics the last couple days. It’s a great fishery, no doubt.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Understood!
8 grew up in that area. Fished it from shore as a youngster and from the boat and ice for many years since.

Anyone with a conscience would cringe at the abuse of some of our shore fishing spots. Even more when it’s on the the ice.

Anyway, it’s a great fishery. Go enjoy it with respect.

Take the pledge and pick up trash whenever you go.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Appreciate the info. Garbage is no issue for me I always end up walking off the ice with garbage left behind by others. I keep reading and hearing about the NE corner can someone give me a town or business that this NE corner. NE corner on south side of bridge or north side of bridge? Thanks again

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2021, 12:36 PM »
Directly behind Bayside bar and grill. Culver road just before you go up the hill to enter Webster.

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Ahh okay so north of the bridge.  So with that being said the only two spots I’ve heard about for access are that NE corner and fish and game club which is south of the bridge. Does that mean that the entire bay is safely  fishable once you access. I understand it’s ice it’s never completely safe just wondering with a wheeler could I access at fish and game and then ride up the bay under the bridge and try NE corner or any other structure I find on my navionics?  Again I appreciate any info not trying to pry for information I’ve just never fished it and like to try and cover all my bases and avoid any unwanted surprises before I hit a new body of water.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:21 PM »
I wouldn’t advise trying to get on anywhere else. For one, it’s pretty much all private property on the east and west shores. Some used to access from the state park at the North, but it’s a hike to fishable water and generally not safe. Thankfully, the launch site is under reconstruction and closed.

Can’t tell you how many cars through the ice I’ve seen out of that  launch over the years. Not that I’d expect you to try and drive out there. Generally they get loaded at Marge’s or the Bayside and do something stupid.

Rg

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Appreciate it, yeah definitely don’t plan on driving out there with anything other than 4wheeler if the ice allows for that. Okay well from what I’ve gathered I’ll try my luck out of the fish and game club. I appreciate it if there’s anything else any of you guys think I need to know before heading out there feel free to post and let me know. Thanks again I appreciate it.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:29 PM »
I saw that people accessed from Newport on Saturday unless they walked or took a sled..I thought that was private property too..as far as the channel markers are concerned that spot is the last place to tighten up on the bay..take a spud if you try.

Offline Palmyraslim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:36 PM »
Has anyone got any idea how much safe ice is currently out in front of the Rod & Gun Club and are people fishing? Thank-You!!!

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Has anyone got any idea how much safe ice is currently out in front of the Rod & Gun Club and are people fishing? Thank-You!!!

6" plus out of Glenhaven..gotta be more out of F&G..just stay clear of the island and you should be fine with a spud..theres a gas hole over there.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:39 PM »
There was still open water around the last set of channel markers a few days ago.  I don't think its safe yet.  South of bridge there were machines out today.  I was on 7 -8" ice off the condos SW side.

Offline Palmyraslim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:54 PM »
Thanks for the ice update guys. How are the fish biting? Sodus Bay has a ton of perch in it this winter, but the big ones are tough to catch because they just can't get to the bait fast enough. Two of us will catch 150 fish, but only end up with 15 - 11" or better.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Be careful on the south side.  While most of the ice is safe, it does have gas pockets and soft spots.  I have been fishing the bay for 20 years, and thought I knew all the bad spots, but managed to break through last weekend, even though ice was 6 inches most places and guys were taking machines up to the bridge.  Luckily, it was just one leg up to my knee.  If you are new to the area, I would recommend sticking to the worn paths. 

Fishing IBay this year has been like Sodus, but maybe not quite the numbers.  What I mean is, lots of little ones to sort through to get some keepers, and nothing huge.  I caught the same number of keepers in the NE Cove as I did at the South end.  So take your pick.  NE Cove usually freezes up earlier, and is a shorter walk, but you may have to contend with motorcycles on the week end.

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Themaninblack I really appreciate the report. Good luck rest of the season and try and keep both legs dry ;D appreciate it.

Offline RSLfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:20 PM »
I know walleye guys are tight lipped especially on open water but curious if anyone ever hooked up with a walleye on I-bay through the ice or has targeted them?

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2021, 04:56 AM »
I thought I might add my 2 cents.  For many years I fished the bay out of the game club with an atv. Never gave it a second thought.  About ten yrs ago I headed out to my usual spot in 30’ of water, parked the  machine and walked a few feet with my auger. I promptly went in up to my hip.  The ice everywhere was 7-8” and I just got unlucky.  After 8 yrs, I got up enough courage to go back but this time I walked. I was there at first light and there were two other guys out. Then I watched one guy walk out from the cattails ( not smart) just south of the condos. Next thing I know is all I can see of him is his head just barely above the ice. There was no way I could reach him in time but luckily he got out. Later I talked to the other two guys that told me they never saw him. Thank God  he got out.  I would have been helpless to get to him in time.
I’ll let others enjoy. Be careful, take a friend, carry a rope, hand spikes and wear a floating Stryker suit.
A lot of guys fish there with no problems. Not me, there are plenty of other places to go.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:13 AM »
I live in Irondequoit  (for 50 years)  and have caught perch from my boat BUT  I  avoid I_BAY   ice fishing  for the reasons mentioned above. I do not trust the ice,especially north of the bridge on the main body of water and would never walk  south from the boat launch  to fish.  I have fished the Webster cove about 6 times never West of Bayside Pub towardsa the outlet.  I just prefer waters I know and feel safe on BUT always take precautions. Good luck!

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:48 AM »
I only ice fished a few times but i always thought the ice was a little spooky.   

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2021, 11:34 AM »
Appreciate the honest reports, glad you guys were able to get back out safely. Guess maybe I’ll reconsider or just take extra caution and spud like crazy... these reports have me curious now though, what is it you think that causes such unpredictable sketchy ice in IB, current..?

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2021, 12:45 PM »
Appreciate the honest reports, glad you guys were able to get back out safely. Guess maybe I’ll reconsider or just take extra caution and spud like crazy... these reports have me curious now though, what is it you think that causes such unpredictable sketchy ice in IB, current..?

Maybe lake Ontario is always a little warmer???  Not sure

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2021, 12:48 PM »
There's lots of gas pockets down there. If you drive over the bay bridge and the water is dead calm you can see quite a few.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2021, 04:23 PM »
I have been there in the boat also and have seen a few spots where gas was actually bubbling up. Cant say if they are always in the same spot or vary or come and go.

Offline Slkgt37

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:19 PM »
As you cross the Bay bridge from Webster to Irondequoit on the high ground on the Webster side of the bridge looking north there is a road leading to a huge white tank which contains the oxygen gas.  There is also much current out there due to the natural flow from Irondequoit Creek at the south end to the outlet at the north end of the Bay.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.