Author Topic: 6in augers.  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
6in augers.
« on: Sep 30, 2021, 05:52 PM »
So I’ve been using a 6in lazer on my drill setup for in the 1 man eskimo wide one.

It’s worked great….but like everything a guy always looks. Since I have the gatco ice auger blade sharpener for flat blades…I’ve tinkered with the idea of going to a 6in flat blade.

However looking at the 6in flat blade augers it looks like nobody makes one with a center point. Like…..why would someone drop $150+ for an Eskimo pistol 6in…..with no center point? The same auger with aluminum flits can be had for $20 with less the 1# weight difference….

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: 6in augers.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2021, 06:12 PM »
That's why I still run moras. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2021, 06:19 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2021, 06:47 AM »
Problem solved ..dont forget to clip the coupon

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Diameter-Adapter-Fishing-Burrowing/dp/B09B9DJ1YR/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=vevor+ice+auger&qid=1633043724&sr=8-3

not quite a review but some IS members have made purchases

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=384941.30

Really not sold on this Vevor company. We'll see how the reviews go in the other thread, but vevors main product is an ice machine...
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2021, 07:36 AM »
Really not sold on this Vevor company. We'll see how the reviews go in the other thread, but vevors main product is an ice machine...

That Vevor  style drill looks like a rebranded Nordic Legend.. similar  to what Cabelas Eze drill is to HT E-drill/Nordic Legend from last season . I have the HT E-Drill ..cuts fast and light weight . I would imagine that there are not many places in China making composite augers ..so they just mix up different colored dye for the flighting and out the door to good ol USA.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2021, 07:46 AM »
That Vevor  style drill looks like a rebranded Nordic Legend.. similar  to what Cabelas Eze drill is to HT E-drill/Nordic Legend from last season . I have the HT E-Drill ..cuts fast and light weight . I would imagine that there are not many places in China making composite augers ..so they just mix up different colored dye for the flighting and out the door to good ol USA.

That's possible...it's also possible that these composite augers are made to look like name brand augers but are made with any ole 3-D printer at most factories in China, and cheap blades with poor angles are thrown on to call it an auger. I like to believe a lot more R&D goes into the 'name brand' augers we have in the states, but who knows! I agree they all look the same. 
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2021, 07:57 AM »
That's possible...it's also possible that these composite augers are made to look like name brand augers but are made with any ole 3-D printer at most factories in China, and cheap blades with poor angles are thrown on to call it an auger. I like to believe a lot more R&D goes into the 'name brand' augers we have in the states, but who knows! I agree they all look the same.

The best Mora/flat/shaver blades are from Strikemaster as they are stainless steel ..the blades on my HT are quite sharp  and are made by annealing the steel ..but they held an edge all last season and for two seasons on my buddies set up ..he is a young man and really put the spurs to his auger set up with lots of holes ..he switched out his HT blades with a set of of 8" Stainless Mora blades he had laying around toward the tail end of last season ...so they are interchangeable. We also hand sharpened the HT blades and they appear to be good to go on a test run ..but that was in late/soft ice conditions..so the jury is still out on that ..note that the blade swap was due to slow cutting ..but not to noticeable until compared to my HT with "fresher" blades. 

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2021, 07:58 AM »
Lack of in use reviews kept me on the fence on the Vevor for a while and I'm still not sure what to expect when it shows up.  I'll do my best to get an accurate review for everyone thinking about getting one. Tough to get any on ice looks right now though.  Maybe that old chest freezer in my garage has one last use!!

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2021, 08:21 AM »
Lack of in use reviews kept me on the fence on the Vevor for a while and I'm still not sure what to expect when it shows up.  I'll do my best to get an accurate review for everyone thinking about getting one. Tough to get any on ice looks right now though.  Maybe that old chest freezer in my garage has one last use!!

Same on this - but I was pleasantly surprised with the initial quality of the materials - from the auger itself to the blade cover.  Did you go 6 or 8"?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2021, 09:29 AM »

There is not much R&D in an auger any more- the technology has not changed in a long time. There is a little metallurgy in making a quality blade, but that was old hat when I was in engineering school 40 years ago. The manufacturing system works like this: Companies source their product out of China, which requires them to show the factory how to make it. The Chinese have a different idea about intellectual property- the concept of owning an idea is not accepted by them. It used to be that the companies here had control of the distribution, but with Amazon it is pretty easy to make and sell something on Amazon all over the world. A year or so after anything is made in China, you will see knock offs, even branded rip offs.

The name brand still has the advantage of a company here with a stake in keeping customers happy, but they can't charge a huge premium once there are several options. For most simple things, buying on Amazon gives you enough protection- if it is clearly junk- send it back. If it looks reasonable, keep it and take your chances.

I am not for or against this, it is just the way the world is now. Companies can manufacture in the U.S., but most things are so much cheaper there, it is getting harder to do. That at least forces the copy cats to figure the thing out for themselves.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2021, 10:17 AM »
Same on this - but I was pleasantly surprised with the initial quality of the materials - from the auger itself to the blade cover.  Did you go 6 or 8"?
the shorter 8

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2021, 12:24 PM »
I believe there is a difference in the flighting of my 8" Eskimo Pistol Bit and my 8" HT E-Drill..diameter and height wise ..also all the Eskimo knock offs seem to come in every color but RED .. HTYellow.. VevorOrange...Cabelas Green..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.