Author Topic: Stabil or Seafoam?  (Read 21189 times)

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Stabil or Seafoam?
« on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Or some other fuel dope.

Any thoughts, I know brand loyalty is probably a very big consideration. I've been using stability but really like the sae foam can.  Not that that's a good reason to use it or anything.

surflizard

Re: Stabil or Seafoam?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:42 AM »
The naptha contained in sea foam does a good job of cleaning gunk and varnish out of fuel systems, much better then stabile ! With ethanol in most everyone's fuel nowadays, phase separation of gas over time has become a real issue ! Startron Enzime fuel treatment and Amsoil Quickshot both work well to prevent this and they both had Amazing effects on how all of my motors, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke started and ran ! 95% of small engine repairs are fuel system related, a good fuel treatment is cheap insurance !

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:47 AM »
For me, I've found that sta-bil (the newer stuff) keeps fuel fresher longer, but like surflizard said the seafoam is great for cleaning. So I usually put both in at the regular rate. I also like Marvel Mystery Oil, especially when put in the oil of 4 stokes, but I put it in the gas of my 2 strokes as well.

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:46 AM »
I use the Startron stuff but also use alot of Seafoam. It has always worked for me. The RED stabil i was NEVER a fan of. The blue stuff is for Ethanol but not necessarily for stabilization. I will say however, i had an old chain saw that would take about 50 pulls to start. I used Startron and seafoam in it and it starts now on a just a few pulls.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the insite

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2012, 01:28 PM »
i use both....seafoam to clean the engine/carb ect and stabil to keep the fuel in good shape......cheap insurance....
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:21 AM »
The naptha contained in sea foam does a good job of cleaning gunk and varnish out of fuel systems, much better then stabile ! With ethanol in most everyone's fuel nowadays, phase separation of gas over time has become a real issue ! Startron Enzime fuel treatment and Amsoil Quickshot both work well to prevent this and they both had Amazing effects on how all of my motors, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke started and ran ! 95% of small engine repairs are fuel system related, a good fuel treatment is cheap insurance !

couldnt have said it better. I use both seafoam and startron. In my opinion the stabile products are on the lower end. I run seafoam in everything i own all the time. All new gas gets mixed with seafom. I prefer to use the startron in my old selds as they seem to be more finicky with the ethenol crap.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:41 AM »
For those that don't know, Sea Foam is also a fuel stabilizer. Thsi is from the Sea Foam website.........

"As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam® will clean carburetors, fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture."
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Seafoam+startron+Amsoil for me in all my small engines.  Nuttin but E-10 in IL.
Prayin' for cold

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2012, 04:11 PM »
seafoam use it all the time never have had a problem

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:48 PM »
Use whatever makes you comfortable but I would suggest doing a bit of research and find out what exactly is in what you use and verify that what the product claims passes the smell test in regards to what the ingredients can possibly do.

If you are concerned with ethanol then don't use a product that has 20% isopropanol as it will be subject to the same issues.

If you run ethanol free then you need to decide how you are going to keep the water that will be in the gas from freezing in your gas lines.

If you are looking into having a product that "Stabilizes" your gas, find out what is actually being stabilized and how that actually happens.

Once you are content with your findings then use the product according to directions.

If you like Sea Foam you can actually make it yourself much cheaper by purchasing the 3 ingredients at a paint store and mixing your own.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the input and sharing your thoughts. 

Offline blackpoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Been using  K-100 for the past three years - no problems with the crap new gas - apparently keeps the fuel and water from separating and causing problems

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:04 PM »
Been using  K-100 for the past three years - no problems with the crap new gas - apparently keeps the fuel and water from separating and causing problems

That is what ethanol and isopropanol do until they are saturated.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2012, 05:21 PM »
i use both. every can of gas that comes into my yard gets a good dose of blue, marine grade sta-bil. not up for discussion at my house.    every now and then,   everything at my house gets a shot of seafoam, gas or diesel. gotta have it.    my 2 cents.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2012, 12:27 AM »
SeaFoam!  ;D @)
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Ya just got love the Seafoam can,,,, old school cool. Don't get made Floyd,  Just making a funny.

Offline Trapperdirk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I will live and die laying down hard ,cold steel .
« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2012, 02:41 AM »
I personally use Seafoam in all my small motors and even in the truck every so many tanks . Its good stuff as a stabilizer , atifreeze and cleaner . It works but  More pricey in Canuck land but worth the extra and yes I also use Amsoil although not a dealer for either

TD
The bush is not just  a passion but in my soul.

TD

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jun 08, 2012, 07:45 AM »
Every spring I mix 1 can sea foam and enough gas to make 1 gallon and mix 3 oz. of amsoil saber oil and run this in my bass tracker with 35 horse merc on it. It smokes and spits and sputters. After about 15 minutes of this I shut her down and switch to the boat tank with 50-1 in it. After 15-20 minutes I start her up and run her around at 3/4 to full throttle til she cleans up. Never had any problems with her. Do the same with all my 2 cycles. Run it through intake system on my van and pickups twice a year. Yes I believe in sea foam. Son uses startron enzyme stuff in his new boat. He has had no problems so far. In winter I add about a capfull to every tank fill on my old jiffys.   Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2012, 07:01 AM »

If you like Sea Foam you can actually make it yourself much cheaper by purchasing the 3 ingredients at a paint store and mixing your own.

What is the recipe?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

surflizard

« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2012, 07:54 AM »
According to Seafoams MSDS SHEET 

Pale oil = Petroleum based Mineral oil ...................... ...40%
naphtha= Petroleum based solvent............... .............. 25%
IPA = Isopropal Alcohol............... ...................... .........10%

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Thank you.

That's interesting. Seafoam has iso alcohol in it, does adding the ethanol additive negate its effects?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

surflizard

« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2012, 10:18 AM »
With those percentages being by volume, I doubt the alcohol ratio is high enough to draw the water particles together like the 100% dry gas additives do when it is used with ethanol blended gas to cause phase seperation.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2012, 11:48 AM »
10% in a few ounces of Se Foam is gonna total about a tea spoon or less. 10% in 10 gallons of blended fuel is an entire gallon of moonshine.

I use seafoam to clean up a rough running engine and marine sta bil or amsoil quick shot to prevent trouble and maintain.

I think seafoam is still the best crud cleaner, but not the best stabilizer.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #24 on: Aug 12, 2012, 04:08 PM »
I've been using the Startron for the past year. Hard to judge this kinda stuff; I guess if yer stuff runs great, and has no problems, then it works...but I tear into mine regularily to take care of it, so I haven't had any issues, yet... ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

surflizard

« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Seafoam is helpful for cleaning carb fuel galleys and removing varnish and gunk from needle seats and fuel lines and tanks, but like Skipper mentioned, there are better gas additives out there ! I've tried a lot of them and both Startron and Amsoil Quickshot help all my small engines start easier, run better and eliminate repair down time !

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #26 on: Aug 12, 2012, 05:57 PM »
I'm just going to put in my $.02 worth on this and say that I use nothing but Stabil in ALL my gas powered equipment, both 2 and 4 cycle, as per the manufacturers directions and have for many years! I use it in the gas year 'round. The mower started second pull again this year, and I've run it in tillers, snowblowers, weed wackers, etc., with nary a problem! Used to have starting problems due to carbs gumming up, but not any more!! I believe Stabil now has carb cleaner in it!! The main thing is that you do need to run some sort of additive in your gas  ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #27 on: Aug 20, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Seafoam...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #28 on: Aug 20, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Seafoam for cleaning needles, seats, dirty carbs. Startron to keep ethanol garbage from phase seperation and ruining engines, seals, plastic parts.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

surflizard

« Reply #29 on: Aug 20, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Ethanol gas without stabilizer, Nice stuff !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.