Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Live Baits and Plastics

Ice fishing plastic molds

<< < (4/4)

Rockfish:
Full disclosure, I know absolutely nothing about bait molds and the like but just happened to see this thread and it gave me an idea. There is a specific style and size to my favorite soft plastic, which is a shad bodied style. It was originally marketed in 1.5”, 2”, 3”, 4”, and 5” but in the last year when I went to replenish my supply of the 4” sized which is the one I’m particular about. Ive found that size to be extra versatile and threw them at everything. Smallmouths, largemouths, walleye, peacock bass, redfish, spotted sea trout, flounder, striped bass, it caught them all. But when I went to reorder them, I couldn’t find the 4”ers anywhere. I finally called the company and was told they discontinued that size because they weren’t selling. So, I scrounged around and was able to eventually locate one package and ordered it off eBay. It was from some guy living in Spain of all places. So, my questions are; one, would it be possible to use the ones I got to make a mold, and two, would I be breaking any copyright laws? I mean, it’s a discontinued model. They rarely if ever bring something like that back. Thanks folks for your consideration.

Best,
Rock

kasilofchrisn:

--- Quote from: Rockfish on Jan 23, 2022, 01:37 AM ---Full disclosure, I know absolutely nothing about bait molds and the like but just happened to see this thread and it gave me an idea. There is a specific style and size to my favorite soft plastic, which is a shad bodied style. It was originally marketed in 1.5”, 2”, 3”, 4”, and 5” but in the last year when I went to replenish my supply of the 4” sized which is the one I’m particular about. Ive found that size to be extra versatile and threw them at everything. Smallmouths, largemouths, walleye, peacock bass, redfish, spotted sea trout, flounder, striped bass, it caught them all. But when I went to reorder them, I couldn’t find the 4”ers anywhere. I finally called the company and was told they discontinued that size because they weren’t selling. So, I scrounged around and was able to eventually locate one package and ordered it off eBay. It was from some guy living in Spain of all places. So, my questions are; one, would it be possible to use the ones I got to make a mold, and two, would I be breaking any copyright laws? I mean, it’s a discontinued model. They rarely if ever bring something like that back. Thanks folks for your consideration.

Best,
Rock

--- End quote ---
It Might be possible to make your own mold.
I don't hear of too many guys making their own mold for soft plastics unless it's an open pour silicone  or plaster mold.
Some mold makers won't make an exact copy of someone else's bait unless it's a common thing like a grub tail or something similar.
It isn't copyright laws that will get you in trouble it's the patent laws.
The copyright law would come into effect if you were using the same name for your baits and selling them.
But if it's a patented bait and you are caught selling them they will usually send you a cease and desist letter in the mail from their attorney's office and usually at that point most people quit producing them for sale rather than go to court..
But if you're not selling that shouldn't be a big issue.
Have you looked at some of the soft plastic bait molds already out there?
Having a custom-made one is going to be expensive.
But you might find one that is close enough that's already on the market.

Agronomist_at_IA:

--- Quote from: Rockfish on Jan 23, 2022, 01:37 AM ---Full disclosure, I know absolutely nothing about bait molds and the like but just happened to see this thread and it gave me an idea. There is a specific style and size to my favorite soft plastic, which is a shad bodied style. It was originally marketed in 1.5”, 2”, 3”, 4”, and 5” but in the last year when I went to replenish my supply of the 4” sized which is the one I’m particular about. Ive found that size to be extra versatile and threw them at everything. Smallmouths, largemouths, walleye, peacock bass, redfish, spotted sea trout, flounder, striped bass, it caught them all. But when I went to reorder them, I couldn’t find the 4”ers anywhere. I finally called the company and was told they discontinued that size because they weren’t selling. So, I scrounged around and was able to eventually locate one package and ordered it off eBay. It was from some guy living in Spain of all places. So, my questions are; one, would it be possible to use the ones I got to make a mold, and two, would I be breaking any copyright laws? I mean, it’s a discontinued model. They rarely if ever bring something like that back. Thanks folks for your consideration.

Best,
Rock

--- End quote ---

Take a picture of the bait with measurements e-mail bait molds and they will make an aluminum mold for you. I had them make a 4 spoon ice fishing spoon mold that had 4 very popular style ice spoons.....$100 shipped from Ukraine and it blew me away how good his mold was.

Rockfish:
Thanks. I probably should’ve known that since that’s actually the area of law my brother specializes in. Believe me, I have been keeping an eye out. Part of what makes these plastics unique is not just their shape, bit the soft plastic itself is a bit tougher than the average soft plastic, so it lasts longer than others that quickly get shredded by say sea trout or flounder. I like the idea of the molds suggested but it sort of sounds like that area of the world may erupt soon, which I’d bet would put a damper on stuff like this. The input is definitely appreciated

kasilofchrisn:

--- Quote from: Rockfish on Jan 24, 2022, 05:59 PM ---Thanks. I probably should’ve known that since that’s actually the area of law my brother specializes in. Believe me, I have been keeping an eye out. Part of what makes these plastics unique is not just their shape, bit the soft plastic itself is a bit tougher than the average soft plastic, so it lasts longer than others that quickly get shredded by say sea trout or flounder. I like the idea of the molds suggested but it sort of sounds like that area of the world may erupt soon, which I’d bet would put a damper on stuff like this. The input is definitely appreciated

--- End quote ---
You can get plastisol of different hardnesses.
You can also get hardener that you add to your plastisol to make it a bit harder and tougher.
But there is a balance between getting a tail to move properly and being too hard.
So you may have to experiment with different plastisols and hardeners to get it just right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version