The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How close is too close?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
How close is too close?
« on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:09 AM »
How close is too close to set up your tip ups next to someone else all ready set up? I typically try to give everyone a solid 40-60 yards even when it’s like a city. Idk how others feel about being set up then you see someone come right up drill close by, 15-20 yards, and set up when there’s plenty space to set up further away. Public waters but what’s the unspoken code of ethics?

Offline Yukon Cornelius

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How close is too close?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:58 AM »
Unless permission has been requested and granted, 25 yards. Penalties for violation can be swift and stiff.

Offline Raven71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:05 AM »
Some people just have no fishing etiquette. I get so annoyed when someone sets up right on top of me.  I know, I don't own the ice, but... I'm usually one of the first people out on the ice before daylight to get my spot and set up. It never fails though, some people will come rolling on out about 9-10:00 and set up right beside me. Mob mentality I guess.
I personally try not to set up tip-ups within 50 yards of someone else's tip ups. If someone sets up close to me they're taking a chance. If their tip up line gets wrapped up in mine when the fish runs, I'm cutting their line.  I've had that happen a couple times. People learn pretty quickly when that happens.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:46 AM »
So if I put my tip ups out 100 yards  from my tent that aught to keep everyone away at least 150 yards?

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2024, 09:02 AM »
For me it really depends on the water body.  If I'm out down here in CT and we have just a few dozen acres of safe ice that everyone's trying to take advantage of, I'm a little more forgiving of people setting up closer.

On the other hand, if I'm out on Moosehead and the whole damn lake is locked up and safe, I see no reason to have anyone within 100 yards or more.  Plenty of real estate to spread out.

I was pleasantly surprised a few weeks ago out fishing down here, everyone knew safe ice was at a premium and things were going to be busy.  I had a group walk by looking for a spot and they stopped and asked me if I was going to be moving around and in what direction so they could set up a reasonable distance away.  It was a super respectful thing to do, and it took a lot of the edge off of having them set up only 20-30 yds away.
-Matt

Offline Yukon Cornelius

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2024, 10:30 AM »
Sploke is so right.  Simply having a conversation and asking is just the polite, right thing to do. And more often than not, if you have a polite conversation with someone before you just start drilling, they'll be ok with it. Might even make a few new friends that day out on the ice. But it's just rude to come up and start drilling 15 feet away from someone's tip up.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:10 PM »
I knew this would def spark some good conversations. Typically I wouldnt really care but they way it happened we were basically cut off from the way the fish roam through the area. crap happens. Usually I’d someone wants to fish some what close they’ll approach and say hey which way are you guys fishing and is it ok to set up in this area.  Def little effort and Common courtesy goes a long way. Cheers thanks for all the great thoughts on the topic

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:16 PM »
It's a tough call for me. Generally, I keep the same buffer zone that I would want everyone else to keep. This all depends on the spot, too. If Im on the inside of a river bend and there's one channel that runs through and I need to get closer to someone than I would prefer, I'll just ask how they feel about it, before I start drillin. So far, most everyone I've had to talk to either didn't mind at all, or just told my to move all my gear over and drink beer with them.
40-50 yards is my go to buffer zone.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2024, 02:04 PM »
I think one way of looking at it is no closer than you would like someone setting up next to you. For me, that's 50-100 yards. But I agree it depends on the waterbody. If you've got a feeling in the pit of your stomach that the fellow angler could get pissed, you're probably too close. In that case I'd speak with him/her before drilling any holes to check their temperature. Common courtesy.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline Alien Legs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2024, 07:42 AM »
This is a poor ice year. Expect people to be close by. Most people do this for safety.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2024, 03:51 PM »
This is a poor ice year. Expect people to be close by. Most people do this for safety.
[/quote

??? There is ice and if your afraid of falling in stay off of it . If you get to close to some folks they are likely to drill a hole and stuff you init ,that wouldn't be too  safe :).A minimum of 40-50 yards or stay home.

Offline Alien Legs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2024, 05:50 AM »
[/quote

??? There is ice and if your afraid of falling in stay off of it . If you get to close to some folks they are likely to drill a hole and stuff you init ,that wouldn't be too  safe :).A minimum of 40-50 yards or stay home.

Talk is cheap tough guy.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2024, 06:59 AM »
I often move around a good bit, so I won't set up within 100 yards of someone else if I can get away with it, lake size depending.   Probly to my own detriment, I'll set up well off the X, if it means having some room. 
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2024, 12:01 PM »
I often move around a good bit, so I won't set up within 100 yards of someone else if I can get away with it, lake size depending.   Probly to my own detriment, I'll set up well off the X, if it means having some room.

Completely agree with that!!!

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline Skorpion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2024, 05:58 PM »
Agreed, I’m usually out there for the solitude so I assume others are as well and I’ll just take it as a chance to try out a new spot, or a new lake if it is really crowded…

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2024, 08:04 AM »
What’s written on this guys coat sums it up .

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2024, 04:36 AM »
If one has to use an atv or a snow machine to drive through my spread to get to a tip up………you are too close :o
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2024, 07:37 AM »
If one has to use an atv or a snow machine to drive through my spread to get to a tip up………you are too close :o
Good point!  I've had to happen. I'm a firm believer that being stealthy makes a difference. Especially if you're after trout. If someone is all set up before you hit the ice, folks should keep that in mind. Chances are they don't want a bunch of holes being drilled next to their set. Again... common courtesy.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.