Author Topic: Honda Generators  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Honda Generators
« on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Does anyone know of a company in the US (or Canada) that will work with you on the price of a Honda generator? in all the research I have done on the internet, the price has been exactly the same on each model from dealer to dealer.  I am only interested in Honda.  Thank you for any leads.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Honda Generators
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:19 PM »
John Deere does the same thing. Prices are set by corporate. Tried negotiating on a new 1 year old lawn tractor a few years ago at a JD dealership. He told me then what the deal is. Checked Home Depot  anyway...same price.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:35 PM »
There are Chinese knockoffs, so if you do find them cheaper....Beware.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:46 PM »
 I just picked up 1000 W Honda. I think your best bet is to maybe try and find a 10% off coupon somewhere and see if you can get Home Depot to match the price and deliver it to the store. I wanted the 1000 watt but saw a ton of the 2000 watt units used that were marked down heavily. You might think about the used market. The ones  I saw were not in bad condition at all. I wanted the 1000 watt because it only weighs 29 pounds versus 47 pounds on the 2000.

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:50 PM »
www.macallisterrentals .com/about/locations/   MaCallister rentals in Midland Michigan has "Honda spring sales"  I got a good price on the big 2500 generator there.  Not sure if this helps. 

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2018, 02:46 PM »
Does anyone know of a company in the US (or Canada) that will work with you on the price of a Honda generator? in all the research I have done on the internet, the price has been exactly the same on each model from dealer to dealer.  I am only interested in Honda.  Thank you for any leads.
Order out of state from someone with free delivery and don't charge sales tax to out of staters. Probably your best deal.
Or buy a nice 5 to $10,000 quad or snowmobile and I'm sure you'll get a good deal on a generator.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2018, 06:47 PM »
I love my Hondas.

Dude, these guys are the best:

Motosports of Ukiah, CA  800-832-7365

First found them in an ad, in the back of Trailer Life Magazine, claiming Lowest Prices Anywhere.  I bought two from them some time ago.  Called today and the prices are still great and still free shipping no tax as far as my state at least.

Suggestions:

-Get the new 2200 or new 2200 Companion (rather than the old 2000 or 2000 companion).  The fuel and cooling systems are improved.
-If you plan to run an RV, get the Companion.
-Use stablizer and drain fuel after each season

Good Luck
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2018, 09:08 PM »

Good luck it's a set price and anyone below can get their dealership pulled. I had a Honda and sold it.....simply because an idot was willing to pay within $50 of what a new one was worth. Way to many solid brands at 1/2 the price to buy Honda IMO.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:16 PM »
i reckon you get what you pay for, i have over 20 small gx honda engines among the machines i take care of and they are next to bulletproof.  gladly spend a few extra bucks on a name like that.  there are alot of other good brands but honda is up with the best.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Hondas are great, I have 3 honda generators. Use them for sugaring.
Like someone else said you get what you pay for.
Dont rule out generac (with a honda motor) or yamaha.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2018, 07:06 AM »
When buying anything with a small engine used in my business for the last 25 years, it has been a Honda (probably had as many as 8-10 at any one time).  If it was a Honda with a recoil, they normally started in the first couple of pulls, about the only problem I have ever had is to replace an occasional recoil.  I have 3 different Honda generators and am temporarily using my home backup (EU7000is) but it is overkill and am wanting to get it home before the power goes out (again) and is needed. I will use this unit as additional power to supplement/help charge the batteries for my solar system at my outpost cabin and especially to run some high usage items on occastion, what I have my heart set on is a EU3000si,  it is the perfect size for my application and I can get a wireless remote start for it.

I have started looking on the dark side, the Yamaha EF3000isEB might work as well.  Yes, a different brand with a Honda engine is also an option, I have had one in the past from Northern Tool, but want to get something that is remote start capable from over 100' away, that really limits the playing field.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2018, 07:08 AM »
I bought a Wen inverter generator because it has a yamaha motor and less than half the price. The generator works great but is definitely louder than the Honda. In my opinion if noise is a factor go with Honda otherwise other brands last and perform well. Many years ago I bought a coleman and I cant kill that thing, it also starts in one pull every time. I bought an inverter for camping just to realize I prefer full hookup lol.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Its call MAP pricing and controlled by the Vendor. Unless you find a coupon or somehow get the seller to pay the difference, it will be the same everywhere.
Just add water.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2018, 12:50 AM »
Get the 2220 not the 2000 as it is a discounted model. 

Amazon has a nice cheap extended warranty for a little more and it make the Honda have a 7 year warranty. 
Don

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:21 PM »
I've picked up a Briggs & Stratton P2200 this summer and so far so good.  1700 running watts and 2200 surge where the Honda 2000 is 1600 to 2000.  Its just a few decibels higher than the Honda but half the price.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2018, 08:17 PM »
I've picked up a Briggs & Stratton P2200 this summer and so far so good.  1700 running watts and 2200 surge where the Honda 2000 is 1600 to 2000.  Its just a few decibels higher than the Honda but half the price.

The Honda 2000 was actually underrated on what it could do. It would sustain 1800 running watts and could do the "surge" watts up a little over 2000 watts for 30 to 45 seconds before it would do the over load.  It is a high priced generator, but was either over built or under rated on what it could/can do. The one thing about the Honda is it has a fuel pump, which would suck fuel up a hose when running an extended run tank. Great generator, but way way over priced for the $1000 price tag.

The Yamaha is the most over priced generator, it cost like the Honda, but has a slightly smaller engine which will cause the overload shut down if it pulls the 2000 watts for more then 5 seconds or so. At $899 it's a joke.

Champion & the Wen generators seem to be the best bang for the buck. At around $400 they preform just has well if not better then the yamaha at half the price, and are very comparable to the Honda. They just don't have fuel pumps so extended run tanks need to be gravity feed.

Lots of inverters out on the market for great prices. The main thing to look at on them all is the decibel rating. Some are quite like the Honda......some are loud as heck.

When I bought my wheel house I debated on what to do.....champion 2000 Ginny & a tailgate dish.....or a Honda. I bought the champion 2000 and the tailgate dish for $1000. The champion always worked well....I just had to gravity feed the extended run tank. About a year later, I bought a Honda off my cousin that runs a construction business. He sold it for $200 since it was all scratched and beat up with some of the pannels and stuff cracked on it, and the pull cord was broke. I went online and fixed everything on it. So I had about $450 into it. Thing ran great.

So now that I had a Honda I put it next to my Champion and threw different things at it to see if one really out preformed or was louder. After testing I couldn't tell any difference between the two. Loudness they were both comparable. So I sold the Honda for $650 on Craigslist and kept my Champion. Figured I just get another champion so I could connect them in the summer and run my AC unit.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Figured I just get another champion so I could connect them in the summer and run my AC unit.

Sincerely, good luck with that.  I couldn't get two Champion 2000's in parallel to run my RV AC unit, using their own kit.  That's how I ended up with Hondas.  Thank goodness for Costco's terrific return policy.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Sincerely, good luck with that.  I couldn't get two Champion 2000's in parallel to run my RV AC unit, using their own kit.  That's how I ended up with Hondas.  Thank goodness for Costco's terrific return policy.

Can't say I've had any issues. Been happy with mine. I was very hesitant to go champion, but couldn't be happier with them.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I know a lot of other sugar makers that run the champions.
They do the job, but dont last long. The power ends wear out
Fast.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2018, 02:51 AM »
Alot of the knock offs are built I'm China.   I personally don't like getting much from China because the quality is low and life span just isn't there. 

I guess if you buy two China mades to last 10 years or one Honda to last ten years it's up to you if you can deal with the inconvenience of no generator while you buy the second one.
Don

Offline horhey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Fleet Farm had a $75 gift card with the purchase of a 2200 a couple of weeks ago.  I took advantage of that as I was searching as well.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Alot of the knock offs are built I'm China.   I personally don't like getting much from China because the quality is low and life span just isn't there. 

I guess if you buy two China mades to last 10 years or one Honda to last ten years it's up to you if you can deal with the inconvenience of no generator while you buy the second one.

I don't agree with this entirely.

I know when I was looking at the WEN and Comparing things, it had the exact same motor has the Yamaha and a guy actually got the WEN and his Yamaha to run parallel.

I'm not saying that champion inverters are for everyone, and maybe the quality is or isn't has good. However, I've been happy with mine and have had no issues. I usually take pretty good care of things, so I think I'll be ok. I've been running synthetic in it and using a dipstick with a magnetic tip to grab any fine metals in the oil. If I get half the life of a Honda I'm fine with that.....I paid less then half what a Honda was. Maybe I was nuts for getting rid of my Honda, but it's not that big a deal IMO.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2018, 06:19 PM »
After a little bit of discussion with Agronomist and the fact that my brother in law has a Champion that’s what I went with. The brother in law has had his for six years and runs his non stop during maple syrup season and that thing hasn’t skipped a beat once. I picked mine up around this time last year and it powered a hard side shack a ton over the winter and then I used it at my own sugar shack where it ran a ton. This past summer my nephew used it two to three times a week at race tracks (he races a dirt modified) where he didn’t have any power. In a year it’s paid for itself already and we’ve connected it with the one my brother in law has without any issues at all.

I did an insane amount of research on these things before my purchase and am glad I did. The price point was nice, it does what I need it to do, and it is just the right size for what I needed something like this for. No intention of selling it so resale value wasn’t a concern at all. A few guys I know scoffed at it because of that last point. Well...if I was going to dump it in a year or two then maybe I’d go with a Yamaha or Honda...but I wasn’t. I’m happy with it and that’s really all that matters.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2018, 10:34 PM »
After a little bit of discussion with Agronomist and the fact that my brother in law has a Champion that’s what I went with. The brother in law has had his for six years and runs his non stop during maple syrup season and that thing hasn’t skipped a beat once. I picked mine up around this time last year and it powered a hard side shack a ton over the winter and then I used it at my own sugar shack where it ran a ton. This past summer my nephew used it two to three times a week at race tracks (he races a dirt modified) where he didn’t have any power. In a year it’s paid for itself already and we’ve connected it with the one my brother in law has without any issues at all.

I did an insane amount of research on these things before my purchase and am glad I did. The price point was nice, it does what I need it to do, and it is just the right size for what I needed something like this for. No intention of selling it so resale value wasn’t a concern at all. A few guys I know scoffed at it because of that last point. Well...if I was going to dump it in a year or two then maybe I’d go with a Yamaha or Honda...but I wasn’t. I’m happy with it and that’s really all that matters.

Nice to hear the champion holds up. I researched it pretty hard to. One thing I noticed is a lot of $400-$500 inverter generators out on the market were not near as low on the decibel ratings or has high on the running watts. (1750 watts for the champion)

I will admit if I would have gotten in on the Amazon sale for the WEN I would have bought one of them. If I remember a couple guys got the WEN on the Amazon sale for around $250......that was a deal!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.