Author Topic: Walleye lures size  (Read 611 times)

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Walleye lures size
« on: Dec 19, 2018, 03:21 PM »
What's some must have walleye lures for around north central indiana?  I plan on targeting them a lot more this year.  Also plan on taking a trip or two to saginaw bay.  From what I've read everyone up there likes bigger, heavier lures.  Average seems to be 3/8s-1/2 oz on up.  Is the same true around here also?  Or should I be looking to start off a little smaller? As in #3or 5 jigging raps, 1/8 to 1/4 oz spoons. Thanks for any insight!
Fish On'

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Walleye lures size
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I like the number 5 jigging rapalas unless I am fishing deeper than 15 feet then I switch it up to #7.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:05 PM »
#7 JRs are a good place to start. I like to start bigger and more aggressive and work my way down. If I start smaller the inclination is to go even smaller when what they really might want is bigger.

Did a good bit of snap jigging open water with a 2.5" Shiver Minnow this past year. You wouldn't believe how many small walleyes (9 - 12"), tiny perch (5 - 7") I caught PLUS a coupla bonus bluegills (and they weren't big either).

It's always easier to downsize and slow down instead of going the other way (bigger and more aggressive).

I've been applying this to all of my fishing and it has made a positive difference.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2018, 04:32 AM »
I think its more the fishes mood.  be prepared with a full spectrum.  some days all you need is some 3" perch on dead sticks. other days it takes a softer approach, like a crawler on dead that stick.  same with jigging.  big n fast vs small n slow.  walleye are walleye.  have a rod with a big aggressive lure to start like said(along with the dead sticks).  if the fish are looking and not hitting, soften up as needed.  maybe another rod rigged with drop shot n plastic. a drop shot n plastic can be either also!  scent plays a huge roll in that bite part, in my opinion, no matter what is on the end of your line. it will get some of those "lookers" into your hand!

no limit on rods on the ice with you, just the ones your using. lol ;)

these are a great option for those dead sticks, and are cheap n easy to make.           57.9 KB    slammer rig1.jpg
have since added eyes down the shaft for my shorter gill rods to be used as well.                                                       

44.1 KB    slammer rig2.jpg      you can set them as light or heavy as you want by bending the trigger.                                                             

just a modern take off of the "steelie slammer" from years ago. you can make 4-5 of them for 20$.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2018, 01:12 PM »
Really depends on what mood the fish are in. Aggressive fish will hit swimming lures without hesitation but if they are finicky, spoons usually outproduce them. Sometimes they are so neutral to negative that live bait dead sticks are the only thing they will eat. Size is also a consideration when dealing with the different moods regarding feeding.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.