Author Topic: Trucks on the ice??  (Read 4189 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Trucks on the ice??
« on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:03 PM »
 ??? ::)  OK!  just read about a Minn. driver that put his truck through the ice while driving to check ice depths??   Went from 10 inches onto 4 inches and while checking ice thickness watched his truck sink behind him????    I've driven on the ice twice in my life and will never do it again ???
NHF&G warns that no amount of ice is safe for full sized vehicles.  So!  Why do people continue to drive on ice??   Instead of sinking a $40,000 vehicle I would think it would be practical to invest in a $10,000  - $15,000 ATV and still look for 8 or 10 inches of ice, while still spudding ahead!    How many videos available of vehicles through the ice at Meredith every year?   
Will someone give me a real excuse for such dangerous risks??
Dick

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Trucks on the ice??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Some folks have no brains! Not a clue about the real world of ice.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:23 PM »
If everyone thought things through and where rational, there would be no need for all the jails and prisons.
I personally don't take chances with ice. I like my money and my family wants me around a little longer.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2017, 05:00 PM »
I have no problem with trucks on ice. To each their own. Personally I will never do it but when the ice is *safe* I have no problem.

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Out here in lake St Clair the ice gets pretty thick.  Around 24" to 36" mid winter, with maybe 3 to 6 feet of water under it.  Mid to end of Jan we have hundreds of trucks, trailers and other rigs all over the ice.  They usually have ice racing and bon fires going in 50gal barrles up on blocks.  A couple years back there were food trucks too.   

I will say though, on the years we had thin ice, there were still crazy folks driving. Last year at the access, there were about 12 trucks that went through all at once.  it didn't get cold last year.

Long time ago in mid Michigan, tip up town was put up on Houghton Lake when the ice got over 36".  They keep it on solid ground now days, but it was pretty cool getting on rides that were set up on the lake.

A wise man once said nothing. Rob~

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Out here in lake St Clair the ice gets pretty thick.  Around 24" to 36" mid winter, with maybe 3 to 6 feet of water under it.  Mid to end of Jan we have hundreds of trucks, trailers and other rigs all over the ice.  They usually have ice racing and bon fires going in 50gal barrles up on blocks.  A couple years back there were food trucks too.   

I will say though, on the years we had thin ice, there were still crazy folks driving. Last year at the access, there were about 12 trucks that went through all at once.  it didn't get cold last year.

Long time ago in mid Michigan, tip up town was put up on Houghton Lake when the ice got over 36".  They keep it on solid ground now days, but it was pretty cool getting on rides that were set up on the lake.
.          The days of thick ice, for the most part are gone. I remember when I was a kid it was not uncommon to have 20” every year, some years a measured 30”. Also rode snowmobiles everywhere as there always was 6+ inches all winter long. Now here we don’t get near the snow, and the ice if it gets 10-12” it’s a lot!!   Weather has really changed in the last 50 years !!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Dick, I think you answered part of this question yourself.....you did it twice.  How much have you learned since then.  Those guys learned a lot.  Education is never cheap.  I think it fits under the heading of "a time and a place for everything" except that in my mind there is never a time when the right tool to check ice thickness is a truck!

I'll stick with a chisel.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:19 PM »
 ;D  And I have my super new chisel that I won at last Springs NHIS get together!!
        My big concern is that it's so heavy and sharp that it will go through 4 inches of ice with only
         two hits??  Better safe than sorry!
Dick

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:23 PM »
When i started ice fishing we drove out our truck only if there was 16 inches of clear ice now we have sleds and nicer trucks....we only take the sleds out now min. 8 inches for my tundra. 6 inches for my 71 elan. We drilled 10 inches after going out on 16 once .....we got sleds after that
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I totally agree "time and a place for everything".  I dont see any problem if theres TONS of ice, and the place youre going youve checked ahead really good. NOT  checking with the truck as you go. Thats just stupid.
Its been many years since Ive taken a truck on the ice, not worth the risk anymore, much easier with the atv now.
BUT, I do remember all the years up on Moosehead it was an everyday thing to drive out and fish. Those were the days when it wasnt uncommon to see 30-40 inches of ice. We would drive 20 deep 3 miles up the lake to fish. But of course the ice roads were checked and flagged ahead of time. Boy I miss those days of having that much ice.
 Like Nosaj said "time and place for everything".
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:46 PM »
I have been in other people's vehicles on the ice,when at least 12 inches,I don't take mine out there  :whistle:

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:50 AM »
"My big concern is that it's so heavy and sharp that it will go through 4 inches of ice with only two hits??"

My Jiffy Chisle will find water through 3" in one whack so I know if I can't put through in 1 whack I'm good.

Hawkeye and I try to make it to the gathering each year however there always seems to be a conflict.    Maybe this year.....

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:44 PM »
I would say there are way too many people watching ice road truckers In say to themself well I can do that.  Famous last words, Here's your sign.
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:59 PM »
If everyone thought things through and where rational, there would be no need for all the jails and prisons.

The problem is that some are incapable of that kind of thinking.   :blink:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2017, 03:25 PM »
The problem is that some are incapable of that kind of thinking.   :blink:

Or, more commonly, they don't think that anything like that could possibly happen to them....until it does!

I have my limitations, and if I were to stretch them even a little, the sphincter-clench reaction would snap me back top reality before I could take a step!
I will test the ice, but ONLY in shallow waters I know are not more than knee deep. Some would argue that you can't know that for sure, but I would reply that if you fish a pond for many years, and follow the SAME routine every year, I'm more than likely to be correct in my presumption.

Basically, I KNOW the waters where I will be testing are that shallow. Only a fool would venture out on uncertain waters and think all is beer and skittles!

My basic process is to approach the body of water from the shallows (helps to know from open water experience) and test the ice in 5 foot distances.
If the ice is below my rock-bottom comfort thickness, I go home! For me the ice can be 3inches of clear ice, but no less than 4 inches if the ice freezes in different layers.
Since I like to fish with friends and family, I shoot for 6-8 inches for more than one person.

When you get into the 14-20 inch level, I might consider brining my truck out, but I would verify the conditions well before heading out.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:58 AM »
Anyone one of us is more likely to crash and perish (I know i have  been in a few bad wrecks) driving to the store for a gallon of milk. This discussion always made me grin because we'd be hypocritical to call out people driving on ice when commuting to work is significantly more dangerous! 

I was thinking about ice racing this season with my 92x...its already spent lots of time on the ice....no breakthroughs...Im still very much alive. 

Offline Msteffen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:44 AM »
This discussion always made me grin because we'd be hypocritical to call out people driving on ice when commuting to work is significantly more dangerous! 

That's a bit of a stretch dude.

Mike

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Yeah, that IS a stretch...

Driving to work is something we HAVE to do, so the inherent risk is that you will encounter someone else on the road.
You can usually avoid "most" accidents by being alert.

Driving on the ice is something we CHOOSE to do, so the risk is decided fate and poor decision making.
It's kind of hard to avoid weak ice if you don't know about it until you're breaking through it.

Using the commute comparison would be about as logical as saying "take the bus, train or airplane" to work.

And I'm sure we'd call out people for bad driving decisions whether they were on ice, dirt or asphalt.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:17 PM »
Ok maybe a stretch. Point being is people are way too dramatic about something they don't do.  If you dont drive on the ice but walk on it, and then call someone out for driving on it...it's wicked hypocritical.  The only difference is the scale. 

You said it yourself Tim "It's kind of hard to avoid weak ice if you don't know about it until you're breaking through it"

That can be equally true regardless if its walking or driving...

I guess the airport on Winni makes those people extremely reckless right?  I mean they park planes on the ice....they must be practicing "decided fate and poor decision making"?   ;D

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Nothing wrong with driving on ice of appropriate thickness.
I agree, shaming that yet walking or riding across proportionally thick ice is very hypocritical.
Every year we hear from the "knowbetters" on it...
Those "checking the ice with a truck" aren't sportsmen, they are fools, and not likely to be found here to educate.

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2017, 05:07 PM »

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:18 PM »
As has been stated there is a time and place for it..I've driven on ice many times over the years. ..now I use a quad. For most of my on ice transportation  ..under the right conditions I'd still drive. My truck.  ..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:54 PM »

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:29 PM »
The difference between walking and driving on ice is that in scenario 1 you merely risk your life; in scenario 2 you risk your life AND a $10-$60K VEHICLE  :cookoo:

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:32 AM »
Anyone one of us is more likely to crash and perish (I know i have  been in a few bad wrecks) driving to the store for a gallon of milk. This discussion always made me grin because we'd be hypocritical to call out people driving on ice when commuting to work is significantly more dangerous! 

I was thinking about ice racing this season with my 92x...its already spent lots of time on the ice....no breakthroughs...Im still very much alive. 

LOL really? Well, of course we're "more likely" to crash than have our vehicle fall through the ice because no one wants to dare put their vehicle on the ice!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:42 AM »
The difference between walking and driving on ice is that in scenario 1 you merely risk your life; in scenario 2 you risk your life AND a $10-$60K VEHICLE  :cookoo:

I was shocked to find that insurance companies often cover vehicles through the ice :o    Maybe that should change?
Dick

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:47 AM »
Insurance companies "may" cover going through but will not cover the expense of getting the vehicle out of the water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2017, 10:50 AM »
My insurance policy will cover all costs provided its a public right of way.  Pretty much any lake or pond with a state ramp is covered. 

Ben, you risk your vehicle and life driving it to any ice fishing local to a much greater extent but no one whines about it.  (This is especially relevant because many of us will drive in poor conditions to ice fish.)

Dick, if you think that should change then maybe insurance companies shouldnt pay out if you crash in a snow storm or drove your car into a flooded street and disable it. 

Dennisg34...you have a quad in the ice in your sig...many more quads go through every year than cars and trucks.  Pick a side of the tracks to stand on!

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:14 PM »
WOW

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:18 AM »
My insurance policy will cover all costs provided its a public right of way.  Pretty much any lake or pond with a state ramp is covered. 

Ben, you risk your vehicle and life driving it to any ice fishing local to a much greater extent but no one whines about it.  (This is especially relevant because many of us will drive in poor conditions to ice fish.)

Dick, if you think that should change then maybe insurance companies shouldnt pay out if you crash in a snow storm or drove your car into a flooded street and disable it. 

Dennisg34...you have a quad in the ice in your sig...many more quads go through every year than cars and trucks.  Pick a side of the tracks to stand on!

lol I don't think you understood what I said..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.