Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 823540 times)

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1350 on: Feb 18, 2016, 12:28 AM »
SUZIE'S SMITTY SLED...
Well, today I helped my friend Suzie build her Smitty Sled. These aren't the greatest closeup photos; but it's made pretty much like Smitty's Original Sled on page 1 of this thread. If you're like us, you've looked at all the pictures for ideas. So there is nothing new here. I had a good day with an old friend doing this and she is thrilled to have her own Smitty Sled. I don't ice fish any more; but now I want to build one for myself...lmao, just because they're soo kool! Thanks Smitty for such a great and simple design! ><{{{{;>
[/URL]

[/URL]

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1351 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:40 AM »
Looks great Dug.......hope it works great for you......tight lines.....
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1352 on: May 12, 2016, 12:22 PM »
So excited to start my sled. Just went to the Salvation Army at lunch and picked up a pair of skis with bag and poles for $6. Not to bad. I will post some pics once I get it together. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #1353 on: May 20, 2016, 06:42 AM »
So excited to start my sled. Just went to the Salvation Army at lunch and picked up a pair of skis with bag and poles for $6. Not to bad. I will post some pics once I get it together. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!
Excellent Team_Reload,
  Sounds like you have a good idea in mind.  Enjoy designing it and then building it.  Enjoy your summer making it , so you can enjoy your winter with it.     We are looking forward to the photos of your build.
    Have a great summer, Tight lines.

AltaIce
                      @)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1354 on: Sep 10, 2016, 09:44 PM »

I found some old skis today. I think we all know what this means  :) ...

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1355 on: Sep 14, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Last year I built my first Smitty sled and became an instant convert.  The only thing I wasn't crazy about was turning.  Has anybody figured out a work around for this?  Maybe shorter skis?

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1356 on: Sep 19, 2016, 05:06 PM »

Used the Smitty Sled last year for first time. Used my spare time this summer to refine things a bit. Got two Cabela's ice rod bags. The smaller ones holds the combos for the jawjackers and the jawjackers themselves. The larger bag contains all my jigging combos. Both bags also have zippered compartments for jig boxes and such. Also made rod protectors out of golf club shaft protectors for my jigging rods to prevent any possibility of being crushed or breaking tip.

My version of the Smitty has an aluminum tube frame . Since season was short last year can't give a full review as to its feasibility in comparison to original. From what little usage it did get it was rather impressive.Longevity is one of the things I can't comment on. Hopefully this upcoming season it will get a good work out. Installed two milk crates on rear of Smitty frame to carry one 6 and 1 7 gallon buckets. Love the 7 gallons height for sitting.

Replaced my Humminbird Helix 7 with a Garmin 720 XS with a CHIRP ice ducer. Going to try out the ION auger in 8 inch this year too . So got a lot to test out this year. I swear I enjoy all the prepping almost as much as the actual fishing.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1357 on: Sep 19, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Forgot to add this pic to display the milk crate layout.

G.E.F.M

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1358 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:33 AM »
hays47 - sweet! can you list the materials list for that sled? Home Depot carries 1" square stock, but yours looks larger.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1359 on: Sep 20, 2016, 08:07 AM »
I went to a welding shop ( small business ) and picked over their aluminum cut stock. Used square and rectangular tubing in frame. Used 1 x 1 for smaller and 2-1/2 x 1 for the larger top frame. I let what ever he had the most of guide me as to size.

These shops when they sell to other businesses. Charge for full stock size. Say a company needs only 7 ft of some material but it comes in 12ft standard stock. The purchaser pays for the full 12 ft. The remaining 5 ft then goes to the cut-off bin or rack. The shop may sell it in the future but who knows. So usually they are pretty liberal on pricing the cut-off material. Especially the odd sizes that they know may be tough to sell.

I let them know what I was using material for. That way they knew I was not a competitor for any of their fabrication retail work.
G.E.F.M

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1360 on: Sep 20, 2016, 10:03 AM »
hays47 - sweet! can you list the materials list for that sled? Home Depot carries 1" square stock, but yours looks larger.

Yeah what Hays said..

If you buy that aluminum at Home depot, it will cost as much as a used truck...

Some scrap yards will sell some at double the scrap price, which is still way cheaper....

<°)))>{

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1361 on: Sep 21, 2016, 09:19 AM »
Last year I built my first Smitty sled and became an instant convert.  The only thing I wasn't crazy about was turning.  Has anybody figured out a work around for this?  Maybe shorter skis?

Shorter skis will turn better, but pull harder because you concentrate the weight over less area. It will cut in deeper, also. I laugh at my 60' radius turns. On glare ice no problem, you can spin it in place. It's in the snow where turning is an issue.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1362 on: Sep 21, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Shorter skis will turn better, but pull harder because you concentrate the weight over less area. It will cut in deeper, also. I laugh at my 60' radius turns. On glare ice no problem, you can spin it in place. It's in the snow where turning is an issue.

X2 Thankfully we usually only need to go straight.. For shorter turns, I'll chinch up on the rope and lift the front of the sled to turn it around and such...

<°)))>{

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1363 on: Sep 21, 2016, 12:02 PM »
X2 Thankfully we usually only need to go straight.. For shorter turns, I'll chinch up on the rope and lift the front of the sled to turn it around and such...

<°)))>{

Exactly!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1364 on: Sep 21, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Personally I would try for the longest widest possible..

It's not like we are trying to beat a time in a slalom run..

<°)))>{

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1365 on: Sep 21, 2016, 02:51 PM »
I have a few of these.. ::)
But I make bigger ones out of water skies to pull behind a snowmobile or 4wheeler.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1366 on: Oct 12, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I did not look through every page but I am planning to make a smitty sled this year. I just need to come up with a solid plan and find some old skis to buy.

I have the Otter XL sled and it works great but I do pack it down and last year had some issues in deep snow. I installed hyfax on it last year, so once I take them off, I already have usable holes in the bottom of the sled. My idea was to run 2x4s down the length of each long side of the sled and then two 2x4s across the other board at each end for stability. I was then thinking of bolting heavy duty threaded pipe nipples (1.25 inch) to the 2x4 and then to the skis.

My only concern is the overall weight I am adding. I know the boards, pipe, and skis will add a lot of weight. However, by itself and loaded up, its already to heavy to pull without my wheeler so I am wondering if it even matters. Ive seen some of the nice aluminum rigs on this site, but I dont know where guys get the product.

Thoughts?

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1367 on: Oct 12, 2016, 11:28 AM »
Just make it like smitty's original. I used 2x10 for the risers, and put a piece of 1/2 plywood across the ski's cause my clam pro kept sliding down off the top.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1368 on: Oct 13, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Higher risers will help with deeper snow, however, I have never encountered a problem with that in Northern IL., keep in mind if you add more weight with wider boards ect it may defeat the purpose some........a long tow rope helps (Mine is 16' long which gets me out in front 8') .......center the weight load off center towards the back of the sled, that will help keep the ski tips up.......that's my 2¢.......tight lines guys & keep those "Smitty's" coming. Thank You.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1369 on: Oct 13, 2016, 01:37 PM »
Mine

Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1370 on: Oct 14, 2016, 06:45 PM »
 I really like the idea of having wheels built-in.  I saw some posts on past pages where guys have built wheels into the sled.  However I know that I won't feel like putting them in and taking them out all the time.  Has anyone built one where the wheels will retract up and down with something like a lever ?  I'm thinking something similar to the way lawnmower wheels go up and down but I'm not great at building things.

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1371 on: Oct 15, 2016, 11:44 AM »
I've never seen a smitty sled with retractable wheels, but I'm very happy with my wheel setup as shown on pg 43.  Using the screw hook attachment saves you the hassle of running an axle through the upright blocks.   :)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1372 on: Oct 15, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Here's my new "Smitty" with wheels that you don't have to take off!! See it here........ http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333848.0

Offline banders731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1373 on: Oct 16, 2016, 12:03 AM »
heres a newbie question, im going to be building my first smitty sled pretty soon to tow my frabill commander (full thermal fyi if that matters) i just got a free pair of skis from a coworker (perfect price right!??!)  only thing im wondering about is the length of the skis themselves. i dont know the exact length off hand right now but when i put them up to my commander they werent a lot longer than the tub itself.  my question is should i take these free skis and just build the sled and see what happens?  or should i save these particular ones and find a longer pair at a goodwill that might fit my commander better?

any input will be greatly appreciated :)

-b-

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1374 on: Oct 16, 2016, 07:55 AM »
heres a newbie question, im going to be building my first smitty sled pretty soon to tow my frabill commander (full thermal fyi if that matters) i just got a free pair of skis from a coworker (perfect price right!??!)  only thing im wondering about is the length of the skis themselves. i dont know the exact length off hand right now but when i put them up to my commander they werent a lot longer than the tub itself.  my question is should i take these free skis and just build the sled and see what happens?  or should i save these particular ones and find a longer pair at a goodwill that might fit my commander better?

any input will be greatly appreciated :)

-b-
Get regular down hill skis........they are around 5 1/2 ft long

Offline banders731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1375 on: Oct 16, 2016, 01:27 PM »
they are downhill skis, but they are just short K2s.....not kids skis just shorter adults

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1376 on: Oct 17, 2016, 05:53 PM »
I have looked at every page of this thread. I have not read every post but I have looked at every photo and screen shoted several builds. Two buddies and I are meeting this weekend to make plans to build 3 smitty sleds.

I have a few questions and hope I can get input on each. My sled is big! Its the otter XL pro (see photos of size you can see the 1 inch auger and fat fish inside the sled to give perspective). I have already built a rod rack on the back that is fairly light but the entire sled when packed down with hut, auger, and gear is too heavy to pull by myself. I basically take my wheeler every trip just to pull it. This is an ok situation but I suspect it is something I will need to consider when building a smitty.

#1: Is there a reason (other than storage) that most guys have built the smitty with the plastic sled tied down to the smitty as opposed to bolted to the lumber? I am inclined to bolt mine as I already have holes in my sled from hyfax runners. I dont anticipate needing to take it off as long as it works well.

#2 Concerning weight and the width of the skis, Ideally, I would like to build the smitty wider than my sled so that I can build an auger rack to the the side of the sled. For those of you with wide smitty sleds and or heavy sleds. Will this be an issue for pulling it? will my sled be a pain in the ass?

#3 I see most guys have drilled holes in the tips of the ski for rope. Since my sled is wheeler only, I like to use a tow bar. Once the smitty is build, will I have issues attaching a tow bar to the sled itself rather than the front of the skis? I am wondering if I will have issues with he front of the skis digging in if I dont pull from the ski tips?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1377 on: Oct 17, 2016, 06:00 PM »
I have looked at every page of this thread...

A lot of your answers specifically here..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333751.msg3535842#msg3535842

<°)))>{

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1378 on: Oct 17, 2016, 06:16 PM »
 Put your auger on the floor next to your sled, and make your smitty that wide, or a little wider. install some screw eyes  into your risers for a place to hook ratchet straps to. I put screw eyes in the front risers facing the ski's and ran my ropes through the ski tips and tied them on there. I use it on the river here, walking. When out on the bay I have a clam 2 man and the smitty hooked to my snow machine.

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1379 on: Oct 17, 2016, 06:19 PM »
A lot of your answers specifically here..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333751.msg3535842#msg3535842

<°)))>{

I read through your other post. Thank you. When you say use two bolts do you mean similar to the sled pictured a few posts above my questions post? Also forgive my ignorance but what is "counter sunk" exactly

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.