Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 820689 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1320 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:06 PM »
So I put mine together using one pin in each crossbar to slide into the uprights.  I cut my notch just a sliver too big apparently and there's a little bit of play in the crossbars and the skis scissor a little bit.  I was thinking about stapling a little piece of foam or something in there to tighten up the fit so the skis always stay straight.  Do you guys have any good suggestions?  If I had used two pins, would that have made it a tighter fit?  Thanks!

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1321 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Mine scissors a little but it doesn't effect it. You could shim yours or add a second pin.
James

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1322 on: Jan 21, 2016, 04:47 AM »
Mine scissors a little but it doesn't effect it. You could shim yours or add a second pin.

Mine too ...should be fine as long as your just dragging it by hand.. could add a piece from a paint stirrer to shim it up .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1323 on: Jan 21, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Hi Guys,
Have a look at my Smitty on page 19.  I had the same problem with scissoring until I installed the angle brackets.  Or, you could do what I did with version 2.0 on page 41, double bolts on 2x6 crossbars.... ;)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1324 on: Jan 21, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Hi Guys,
Have a look at my Smitty on page 19.  I had the same problem with scissoring until I installed the angle brackets.  Or, you could do what I did with version 2.0 on page 41, double bolts on 2x6 crossbars.... ;)

Thanks guys!  I bought a thin foam sheet from the craft store today to try as shims, so we'll have to see how that works.  If not, I'll probably tear it all down and buy some more wood to make new risers and cross bars with two pins. I'll post on here how my shims work.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1325 on: Jan 21, 2016, 02:45 PM »
My Smitty construction begins, nearly left my spine on the ice last weekend. It shall be custom, oh yes, yes it will.
Thanks Smitty for the innovation!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1326 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:37 AM »

I would shim it like others have said, I don't know how much "play" you have....do you have any pics of it?......could also wrap blue painters tape around the ends of your cross braces, keep wrapping and testing till you get a good snug fit.......without doing anything, I think it would still be ok as long as you are pulling by hand.

Keep the questions coming, we will help the best we can.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1327 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:38 AM »
My Smitty construction begins, nearly left my spine on the ice last weekend. It shall be custom, oh yes, yes it will.
Thanks Smitty for the innovation!
Please post pics when you it done..........ask me questions if you need to.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1328 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:36 AM »
I'm not a carpenter and my first smitty did the same thing. Then my second one did too. I finally figured out not to cut on my line but inside of it. My latest version is nice and tight. One of the others has been notched out and I added a 1/2" strip of wood to the cross piece in question. SO it is now tight.
<===Lefty===

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1329 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:21 PM »
Fixed it!  Went up to the craft store and bought some brown foam stuff.  Cut a little inch square and stapled one in where needed and it tightened the entire thing right up!  I'm not a carpenter by any means (actually bought a circular saw just for this use), but I'm very happy with my end result.  Can't wait to try it out!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1330 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Used it tonight and it worked beautifully.  Thanks everyone for your help, especially Smitty for the original design!

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #1331 on: Jan 23, 2016, 05:16 PM »

Took my Smitty Sled out for the first time today.  Holy baloney, it was awesome!  On top of what you see in the pic, I had an Eskimo Quick Fish 3 hut, auger, and a small shovel attached.  It was like pulling a feather.  My friends were amazed and wanted one.  Thanks, Smitty!!!!
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1332 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:41 AM »
I would shim it like others have said, I don't know how much "play" you have....do you have any pics of it?......could also wrap blue painters tape around the ends of your cross braces, keep wrapping and testing till you get a good snug fit.......without doing anything, I think it would still be ok as long as you are pulling by hand.

Keep the questions coming, we will help the best we can.

I pull by hand so I'm not too worried about it. I have some felt I could stick in place. Sometimes some movement can be good. Pulling behind a sled would be a bit different on that though.
James

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1333 on: Jan 28, 2016, 03:24 PM »
Ok guys here is my smitty sled! Have any questions just ask! thanks smitty!

Offline zman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1334 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:57 PM »
How on earth do you get away with putting that (as the wife calls it "stuff") inside your house? I bet you lost some points for that.

Seriously though, did you make the minnow bucket holder or purchase it? I did a quick google search and didn't find anything.

Nice job on the sled.

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1335 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:10 PM »
Lol she makes me clean everything but is pretty cool about it. I made the minnow bucket holder so they would not slide around and spill. Thanks

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1336 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Nice build there Ranger.......hope it makes your life a little easier.........tight lines

Offline cweaver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1337 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:33 PM »
I took advantage of the too warm to ice fish weekend to build my Smitty sled.  Now we just need some snow and colder weather to try it out.  It's a permanent build based on the 67 pages of previous awesome designs on here.  I added a rigid hitch to pull behind a snowmobile but used spring clips to be able to swap out for a rope. 

Thanks for all the great ideas on here and thanks Smitty for the original!

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #1338 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Finished off my "rough draft" of the Smitty Sled this weekend, i made this one for my father in law so he can modify it how he pleases. It also gives me a chance to practice so when i make mine I have a better idea of what i'm doing. I used 2x10's for all my construction - i plan on making a seat that goes with it and i'm a big guy so i wanted the extra "beef" for that. This will eventually be my main sled as I have no desire to spend the money on a Jet Sled. These were youth ski's but the next ones will be a bit longer.

Offline Speeddmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1339 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Well got my skis today! I also have a 2x8x8 to work with and some brackets. No pictures as I still need to re-do my photobucket account or start over somewhere else.

I am curious if there is a wrong way to build one. Ive seen 67 pages off great info but I didn't see where anyone regretted doing something, maybe I missed it. I would like it to be low enough for COG, but yet tall enough to attach my sled underneath the cross boards that will support my clam 5600. Would this be viable, has anyone tried that?

Offline h2ofwlr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1340 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:39 PM »
^^^ Look at Frigidaire's post above.  He has upgraded/revised his twice now, I'd suspect that there is a reason.

As for those that have miscut and have a loose fit between the cross piece and upright.  I question whether cardboard or something soft will last too long as it'll flattened out and you'd have wiggle again.  I suggest cutting/shaving a piece of wood to the thickness that you need using a saw (cut it length wise and then trim it to length) and then gluing it into place with a waterproof glue.  I think it'd be a much longer lasting fix.
God help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1341 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Keeping everything tight is easy regardless of how sloppy your cutting the notches..

See my solution here...
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.1180

<°)))>{

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1342 on: Feb 05, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I took advantage of the too warm to ice fish weekend to build my Smitty sled.  Now we just need some snow and colder weather to try it out.  It's a permanent build based on the 67 pages of previous awesome designs on here.  I added a rigid hitch to pull behind a snowmobile but used spring clips to be able to swap out for a rope. 

Thanks for all the great ideas on here and thanks Smitty for the original!

Looks good weaver.........hope it works great for you.......tight lines

Offline cweaver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1343 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:45 PM »
Thanks Smitty! Hoping to break it in good next weekend.  You started a long line of creativity sir.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1344 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Ok guys here is my smitty sled! Have any questions just ask! thanks smitty!

Hey Ranger, nice sled - where did you get that metal bracket holding your bait bucket?

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1345 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:14 AM »
ready to rock n roll, sold the pop up and went with flip up. original bench removed, and the bench seat installed on the moving milkcrate that also serves as a storage.
it's also lower which gives me more room for hooksets, and moved more towards the back which gives me more fiashable area. i can also comfortably sit with windbreaker while the hut is on smitty.
what kind of method are you guys using to secure flip hut to smitty so it can be used half way up? thanks

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1346 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:42 AM »
ready to rock n roll, sold the pop up and went with flip up. original bench removed, and the bench seat installed on the moving milkcrate that also serves as a storage.
it's also lower which gives me more room for hooksets, and moved more towards the back which gives me more fiashable area. i can also comfortably sit with windbreaker while the hut is on smitty.
what kind of method are you guys using to secure flip hut to smitty so it can be used half way up? thanks

Looking good efka......hope it works good for you.......as far as securing to the "smitty sled" when half up, I would put eye bolts in your risers and use bungee straps to secure. Tight lines!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1347 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Smitty sled came in handy today, snow was wet and many guys were dragging sleds all over lake. Had a few lookers when we pulled by.

We did find out one thing it does not go together if you put skis with eye bolts facing inwards. Took me awhile to figure it out and I was in hurry.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1348 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:53 PM »

That looks to be a Frabill.     Best put it off the Smitty when in use as a wind-break, to avoid draft on your feet.     ;)2

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1349 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:01 AM »
Smitty sled came in handy today, snow was wet and many guys were dragging sleds all over lake. Had a few lookers when we pulled by.

We did find out one thing it does not go together if you put skis with eye bolts facing inwards. Took me awhile to figure it out and I was in hurry.
I did the same thing one day. Couldn't figure out why the cross pieces wouldn't go in. Then I saw the Eye Bolts were on the inside.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.