Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819700 times)

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1290 on: Nov 24, 2015, 03:37 PM »
That is one sweet looking smitty sled. Does it come apart at all? I would think the curved pieces on the bottom just slip over the bolts.

Yes they do but I have a truck, no need to take it apart. I stood on it and the skis wanted to go out in the back so I used ss. cable.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1291 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:47 AM »
This is for the guys that are making sleds to haul your flip overs,to me it doesn't make sense to have a sled to haul your shelter out on the ice and then have to remove it from the sled to use it,its not that hard to make it so it will drop down to the ice so you can fish there is a sled designed to do this but they are very expensive and won't fit all the different tub sizes out there take a look at the lake runner to see how it works and design your own if your handy which most of us are it really isn't that hard to do basically its just a little modification to the bracket that mounts to the ski a few bolts and pins and your done why have to struggle when you don't have to ;D

Offline Loudenback

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1292 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:29 PM »
This is a design my friend Sean came up with, a take on smitty's design (thanks).  He floats around on here from time to time.  All 6061 1/4" aluminum. All counter sunk stainless bolts.  Tapped into the 1/4 aluminum.  Pull 4 pins from the sled and it folds together.  Very strong.  We are in the process of making two of these.  Should pull nice!  This one is almost complete.  Little rounding off on the feet left on this one.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1293 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Building one for an assault on red lake this weekend. 1/2" gas pipe welded with 6010, I need to gusset it yet. Designed so that the longitudinal bars fit in the outer runner pockets on an otter lodge.

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1294 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I finally was able to put my newly constructed smitty to use today.  I was impressed.  I couldn't believe how easy it pulled loaded down with gear.  Thanks again for the idea Smitty!

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1295 on: Dec 11, 2015, 04:15 PM »
After breaking my previous PVC designed sled while hauling firewood, I decided this time to increase the weight capacity with galvanized steel legs and a wood platform. This gives me better options for using the sled overall than my previous design.

Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1296 on: Dec 12, 2015, 06:49 AM »
This is a design my friend Sean came up with, a take on smitty's design (thanks).  He floats around on here from time to time.  All 6061 1/4" aluminum. All counter sunk stainless bolts.  Tapped into the 1/4 aluminum.  Pull 4 pins from the sled and it folds together.  Very strong.  We are in the process of making two of these.  Should pull nice!  This one is almost complete.  Little rounding off on the feet left on this one.

Loudenback,
This is pretty cool! I love the simple design to "drop" the sled without having to dismantle anything for transport or storage. That's definitely something I would buy. Great job!
Matt

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1297 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:32 AM »
After breaking my previous PVC designed sled while hauling firewood, I decided this time to increase the weight capacity with galvanized steel legs and a wood platform. This gives me better options for using the sled overall than my previous design.

Glad to see I'm not alone in using the smitty to haul fire wood, haven't broken mine yet, but have really loaded it up a couple of times.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1298 on: Dec 19, 2015, 04:31 PM »
please post a pix when you got it built

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1299 on: Dec 21, 2015, 08:06 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Love the design..........hope it works for you.......remember the long tow rope........
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1300 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:42 AM »
I'm just checking in.........keep posting your smitty sled designs, that's how we all learn more...........tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1301 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Getting ready to build one, picked up skis today. Trying to decide if I should use 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 for uprights. Not much snow to plow in Iowa but would like to have the system as I do not want to drill all the holes for the runner kit. Wondering if anyone has issues using the 2 x 6 method with stability. I will be hauling a Yukon loaded with gear.

Looks like most are using desk screws to connect uprights.

Design looks great - thanks Smitty for posting this

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1302 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:09 AM »
I used 2x8's and deck screws. Wide stance makes it very stable. It cannot tip over.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1303 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:49 AM »
I just redid one of mine. I used 2x6" and cut then only 1' long for less weight. The 2x4 cross members still have a good hold.  I will try it out tomorrow.
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #1304 on: Jan 16, 2016, 05:16 PM »
I made a new Smitty Sled!!!!  Hope to get out and use it soon here in Indiana.  I used Ice Scratchers design, from earlier in this thread.  Only I used Aluminum to join all joints instead of the metal he used from a bed frame.  That's why I added the Wood cross pieces down low, due to me being rough on my stuff.  It breaks down the same as his.  I also added a Snow shovel handle to the rope, Rod holders, and some old pet barriers for a car we no longer have.  They trombone out so they can be longer if needed, and they make bungies easy to attach.  Thanks Smitty your original has made it easier for us all to get out!!!!!  Tight lines and stay above the Ice everyone.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1305 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:36 AM »
Sweet Ride. Did you use Aluminum L channel to mount it to the Ski's?
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1306 on: Jan 17, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Yes I did and used the existing screws in the bindings to attach everything hoping that would distribute the weight correctly.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1307 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Nice work Hounds!!

I like those white skis, they won't melt and freeze into the ice while you're busy slaying the jumbos!! Skis that long also help it pull easier and stay on top of deeper snow... Maybe instead of cross pieces under, you might angle braces upward on to the cross boards? If you don't deal with a lot of snow those bottom pieces should be a non issue though..

Hope it brings you luck!!!

<°)))>{

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1308 on: Jan 17, 2016, 01:30 PM »
The Angle braces are a great idea and they could be done in aluminum too.  Was looking at a design of an old time kids sled and that's what they used.  Thanks Ice Scratcher, how is your sled working for ya?

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1309 on: Jan 18, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Finally built our sled. Some old skis and some redwood for the wood. It has adjustable with via through bolts which act as pins. We used it for the first time this past weekend and the only issue is that my boxes slide forward or back until they fall off one edge. Some aluminum angle ought to fix that.

We were in 8-12" of snow and it staped up pretty well.

I put rope on the front and back so I can control speed down hill. Spud and auger go on either side.

I need to figure out a better one tray. Either buy a cabelas sled which is on sale or make a wood try to fill that spot so I can put buckets, heater, etc. Open to suggestions.

James

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1310 on: Jan 18, 2016, 01:18 PM »
Go back to about page 64 and look at some of the sleds there and how the builder put eye bolts in each one of the risers to hook ratchet straps. That will keep things from falling off. Another thing that makes for easy towing is a longer rope, your's looks kind of short. Good job on it though.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1311 on: Jan 18, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Go back to about page 64 and look at some of the sleds there and how the builder put eye bolts in each one of the risers to hook ratchet straps. That will keep things from falling off. Another thing that makes for easy towing is a longer rope, your's looks kind of short. Good job on it though.

Already did that. I just set the cross beams too far apart when I built it. Engineering failure on my part.

Here's some pics of the inside of the black box where I store rods, holders, tackle, etc.

The box was a mess as we had just gotten back. And I was trying to reorganize things and dry stuff out.
James

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1312 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:19 PM »
My cross braces over hang some ...my theory is it help the ratchet strap from slipping back while going over tough/rough terrain .... a 14-16 ft rope is a must.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1313 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:28 PM »
guess I didn't notice them on your original post. I like your rod holders in the box with the pvc and the clear plastic.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1314 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:37 PM »
guess I didn't notice them on your original post. I like your rod holders in the box with the pvc and the clear plastic.

No worries. They weren't in the pic of the empty sled. The jury is out on those rod holders. The clear plastic may turn out to be too much of a pain. It's a 2 hours drive to go ice fishing so it will take some time to determine. I can also fit my auger in there for non hardwater storage.
My cross braces over hang some ...my theory is it help the ratchet strap from slipping back while going over tough/rough terrain .... a 14-16 ft rope is a must.

I was a little surprised the rectangle box had issues. The other one did surprise me. It's not a hard fix for the rectangle box though. And I have the scraps around to do it.
James

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1315 on: Jan 18, 2016, 11:16 PM »
Thanks Ice Scratcher, how is your sled working for ya?

Working out perfect! Just need lake Erie to settle down and freeze up..

<°)))>{

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1316 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:56 AM »
Wished we could safely fish Lake Michigan through the Ice?  And wish we had 25+ inch eyes.  You lucky dogs on Erie.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1317 on: Jan 20, 2016, 01:34 AM »
Wished we could safely fish Lake Michigan through the Ice?  And wish we had 25+ inch eyes.  You lucky dogs on Erie.

I wish we had salmon, and lake trout, those Lake Michigan guys got all the good stuff!! Lol just kidding.. I'll take walleye any day.. But honestly I'm sure there are guys stuck on Erie wishing for lake MI...

<°)))>{

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1318 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:02 AM »
I finished my Smitty Sled yesterday.  Still need some straps to secure the shanty on the sled but it'll be ready to roll Saturday ice conditions permitting.  All aluminum frame, except for two by two wood rails that the shanty (Otter Lodge) actually sits on.  The wooden rails were designed to fit the outer two grooves in the bottom of the sled.  The legs are adjustable from 8" to 12" in height by pulling and resetting hitchpins in the legs.  There are four eyebolts mounted to the aluminum rails for attachment of straps (when I get them).  Nothing is welded except the upward curves in the aluminum rails at the front.  It was designed so it  could be completely disassembled for transportation and storage.  I purchased the  Clam sled harness and 3/4 PVC pipes for the straps when pulling downhill to the ice.  The rear of the sled is built like a ramp for pulling the shanty up and on, and I will buy some sort of padding (pipe insulation?, noodle floatie?) for the front 'bumper' to protect my shins when doing so.  lol  Materials were two 8 foot sections of 1/8' aluminum "T" channel, one 8 foot piece of 1 1/4" square tubing, one 8 foot piece of 1" square  tubing and some misc solid aluminum stock, nuts, bolts, washers and eyebolts.

Apologies for the super large photos.  I tried and tried to re-size in photobucket, but PB would not cooperate.

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1319 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:21 AM »
I wish we had salmon, and lake trout, those Lake Michigan guys got all the good stuff!! Lol just kidding.. I'll take walleye any day.. But honestly I'm sure there are guys stuck on Erie wishing for lake MI...

<°)))>{

They put up one helluva fight, I just not really skilled at preparing them, although have been working on it.  Walleye is pretty much goof proof in my opinion to prepare for the table.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.