Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 821857 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1200 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:41 AM »
My Smitty

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline meat sticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1201 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Thank you Johnny.......still torks me off a little to put Smitty on it.......will see how this works out.......like you said......it's over $100 bucks.......build one for $15-$20.......keep building em boys and keep posting your pics....thanks Smitty

Don't let this pretender get you down.  You've done something very few people can claim, you've become a bit of an icon in the ice fishing world, and people will be building "smitty sleds" for the next 50 years!  Good for you.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!  This guys expensive idea is going nowhere when guys can make their own for $15!

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #1202 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:27 AM »
Hi all. Getdanet1 here. I haven't been active on this board in a long time. I have been thinking of making a sled to make things easier for the old fella to tug along on the ice. I've been reading over the pages and finding some very interesting ideas. Hope to have something put together soon to get my insulated Clam Scout up and not plowing snow. I recognized Smitty's name and Husker and Jay Bird. Sorry JBird I don't remember your real name. Hope to get by here more often and get a shot up of whatever I put together for a sled. I'll see you ICE HOLES later. GDN1
 ;D
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1203 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Hi all. Getdanet1 here. I haven't been active on this board in a long time. I have been thinking of making a sled to make things easier for the old fella to tug along on the ice. I've been reading over the pages and finding some very interesting ideas. Hope to have something put together soon to get my insulated Clam Scout up and not plowing snow. I recognized Smitty's name and Husker and Jay Bird. Sorry JBird I don't remember your real name. Hope to get by here more often and get a shot up of whatever I put together for a sled. I'll see you ICE HOLES later. GDN1
 ;D

Sounds great........can't wait to see what you come up with. Thanks Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline want fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1204 on: Feb 02, 2015, 02:38 PM »
Thank u very much for the info and pics
You can run but you will only come out that hole tired!!!!!!

Offline chopstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1205 on: Feb 02, 2015, 02:55 PM »
 GetDaNet1 , I also hop on here to check on some designs they got going on.
 Got a couple extra skis 4 ya, fig out something and i'll get together for you.
  And Smitty  , Thanks a whole hella of a lot. It's going too help with pulling some of this load!!!!!
If you count holes, YOU MUST BE A ROOKIE!

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1206 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Hey Chop, I got it together today. got some skis from my bud Angelo. I gave birth to this master piece today. It's still naked but I have a few more days if I need it for W.O.W.  I made the spanner pieces so that I can run the skis at 40 inches or 32 inches.  Well, I've  had the sled together for two days and already making changes. After ready a few posts I have decided to go with the two pins in the spanner boards for more of a snug fit.  I have cut a few small pieces of left over tie down strap and used my staple gun to tack them down over the pins in the spanner boards. Hopefully that will keep them from dropping out and getting lost.  After reading a note about higher risers having the chance to tip over, I am going to add some braces to my 2 X 8 risers.  I'm sure that I will be adding a few more notes here and hopefully a pic or two before she hits the ice. I am signed up for the local Cancer foundation tourney ( Walk On Water  or W.O.W. as the locals call it ) this Saturday. I'm thinking it will be the shake down cruise. Lots of people to help out if there is trouble with my build. I don't expect any. Today. Tues 2-3-15 I added a few more things to the SS. I picked up a few items from Menards today. Some rubber backed rug ends that I reversed and attached to the spanner boards to help keep slippage to a minimum. I also found a nice box of tie downs straps in Camo and some quick attach adapters for the ski tips. This way I can just use the rope from my Scout on the SS. I also added an L bracket to each riser to sure them up.  Last pic.   We ready ta go Down Town  !! Thanks to Smitty for the inspiration.

God Bless our Troops.

Offline chopstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1207 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:35 PM »
 Right on John, So I have a extra pair of skis? What to do with them?
 Any of yous guys have any plans for hauling you manually powered auger on your sled , i'd like some ideas.
 Thanks AGAIN   The man SMITTY!!!!
If you count holes, YOU MUST BE A ROOKIE!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1208 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Thanks for the great comments guys.......the sleds are awesome.....hope you enjoy them. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #1209 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:01 PM »
how are you guys attaching the base to the skis? are you screwing in from underneath the skis?
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1210 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Generally yes - pre-drill & counter sink the holes.  Last year I had one screw that was not flush, sled tracked sideways...
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #1211 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:31 PM »
cool thanks
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1212 on: Feb 07, 2015, 03:07 PM »
 ;D

Hey GDN1,
Glad to see you are back. I've only been on the ice twice this year. Not much luck catching anything. I built my smitty sled a couple years ago. I had one of my riser boards break at the top right behind the cross beam. I think I twisted it a little bit and the back of the notch broke off. I ended up screwing a "L" bracket to replace the missing chunk of wood. It works ok.   
jbird68

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1213 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:07 PM »
Hey Bird, I've been out 4-5 times. Only one frying pan filler Day. did get out last week for a Veterans fund raiser. I was going to fish WOW today and show off my new sled but a back spasm last night took me out of it. As far as the sled goes, I'll need to use it before  I can break it and fix it. ;D

God Bless our Troops.

Offline knezzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1214 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Hey everybody, I love this thread.  People using their minds and tools to make something practical and useful. I've made a few sleds over the years, each one nicer than the last.  I'd like to share some pics.  My early sleds were just a pair of skis screwed to a tote and a rope to pull it along.  Then I needed more sled because I have more gear. So I ended up with a more "traditional" Smitty sled design.  Last year a neighbor gave me an old "Coquette" style hut but it was mostly rotten.  It gave me an idea to make a sled that my pop up tent could rest on and all my gear to fit inside.  Using nothing but scraps I put one together.

Offline knezzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1215 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:09 PM »

Offline knezzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1216 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:41 PM »

Offline knezzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1217 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:44 PM »
It's a work in progress. Also I am not a carpenter nor do I have any woodworking skills... but this is kind of a prototype anyway. 

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #1218 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:40 PM »
It's a work in progress. Also I am not a carpenter nor do I have any woodworking skills... but this is kind of a prototype anyway.

Pretty cool!
It is what it is....

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1219 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:46 PM »
FYI:
A good place to acquire skis is your local ski shop. I was advised to check with the local ski shop, and their response was that they were "...MORE than happy to give some skis...
I'm picking up two sets tomorrow (free).
Happy Sled-building!!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1220 on: Feb 11, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Last year build

This years build

That's three builds for me so far ...kind of addicting ...have two more pairs of skis still
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #1221 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:01 PM »
NICE! ^^^^
It is what it is....

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #1222 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Here is my first stab at a Smitty

upload gambar

pictures upload

free picture upload

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1223 on: Feb 14, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Well done Lavman........you will fall in love with it........your back will appreciate too!!

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #1224 on: Feb 14, 2015, 12:05 PM »
My first Smitty.  Can't wait to try it out.  If only the deep snow on Oneida would go away.   :tipup:

Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline MattyP123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH - HUNT - ICE
« Reply #1225 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Finally joined the Smitty army!

2x10's and 2x4's are just stained next time going red white and blue themed. Thanks Smitty for the design and thanks hardwater diehard for telling me to make one to haul my thermal trekker dlx around!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1226 on: Feb 15, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Finally joined the Smitty army!

2x10's and 2x4's are just stained next time going red white and blue themed. Thanks Smitty for the design and thanks hardwater diehard for telling me to make one to haul my thermal trekker dlx around!

Good luck with your Smitty ....she is a beauty ...in field pic next

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #1227 on: Feb 17, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Well done Lavman........you will fall in love with it........your back will appreciate too!!

Yes Sir! Love was found on Valentine's Day! Took my daughter to our favorite little lake, 2' of snow on top, snowshoes required to get to and onto the little mountain lake, and the new Smitty worked AWESOME!! Here it is in action - THANKS AGAIN SMITTY, THIS THING IS AMAZING!!

adult image hosting

upload pics

uploading images

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1228 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Shake down cruise for the SS today

All went well as expected. I picked up a few pointers and some things to do just from usage.
My friend suggested that I counter sink the bottom of the pin holes for the pins on the cross beams and add a nut to them to keep from losing them. Also noted was to drill out the pin holes in the uprights a size larger to make for easier set up and break down. I am also going to fasten a small piece of rope next to the cross bars. once the bars are in place, snug the rope down into the joint to prevent sway.  I learned on my own that the flip over sled needs it's own pull rope to keep from having to switch the one from the SS to the flip over once I have reached my destination.

Speaking of destinations: Ours led us to a bunch of these today. Lucky me, a Dandy 10" Red Ear wanted to come home with me today. Eat or mount with the other two on my wall???

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=77891

God Bless our Troops.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1229 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:28 AM »
Anyone have problems drilling through the skis?  I broke 4 drill bits trying to go through a set of downhill skis.  The bit went through about 80% of the way, then just stopped...not sure what the 'core' of the ski was, but I couldn't drill through it?  This was down around the area I removed the bindings from, trying to drill pilot holes for screws to go up through the skis into the riser piece.  The bits/drill went through my old broil king BBQ clam shell, which is about 1/2 thick steel with ease so I'm not sure what the problem is  ???
Tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.