Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 820853 times)

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1170 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:42 PM »
here is the reply I got from Vinh Nguyen of the new smitty design.

Hi Mr. Ken Clark,
I am very surprise about your email because this design I asked my lawyer did patent search and filed a provision patent application for me . Everything was fine but now you start to complain . I will talk with the lawyer about this problem . In the mean time I will be very appreciated if you can send me a proof about the document you claimed . About the drop down & wheel design you complained , after some tests from real environment we realized some problems need to be fixed completely before the product can bring out to market. So we decided to change everything & will release the completely new and better design next week after finishing  PPA.

Thank you for your mention & let us know if you have any problem.

Vinh Nguyen.

At least got his attention.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #1171 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I wonder if the design, as simple as it is, has been patented?  If not, I don't think there is anything you can do about the design, but you might have a case against the name.  Plus, this guy is in Canada.  Whole different set of laws there that mIght not apply to a US design.

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1172 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:20 AM »
Well.......somebody using my name to make $.........doesn't impress me...... this thread is for somebody on a budget and who has a car to get their gear into, go to page 1 and see........let's stay on track boys......Thanks Smitty

You got that right! My sled is still going strong, (pics somewhere back in the beginning of thread) This guy trying to sell the design, fails to see the point. This is for guy's that like to do things for themselves and share ideas. Good luck to him with the stolen name, I know it will be a red flag for anyone who reads this forum!!

Smitty Sled Strong!!!
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1173 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:08 AM »
Well.......somebody using my name to make $.........doesn't impress me...... this thread is for somebody on a budget and who has a car to get their gear into, go to page 1 and see........let's stay on track boys......Thanks Smitty
Yep - using the name is not so great.  The guy/company is taking advantage of the name (as it was popularized, here on IS, and other fishing forums.  The design, I'd say is available as far as patents go.  The idea will never die - it will always be available to individuals that want to build a "Smitty Sled".  i'd go after this dude for using the name.
Eskimo already has a sled similar to this guy's - I wonder if they have a patent on there's?
BTW, I built two of the Smittys for myself last year.  No use this year - we went from first ice to driving wheelers on inside of two weeks and the ice was bare for that two weeks.  ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1174 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Even if he sells some it most likely will have cost him more to get them made,a web site,marketing and pay a lawyer for a patent then it is worth.
Just a reminder here,not siding with anyone on this. A lot of people on here have made their own version of the Jaw Jacker, which they paid good money to develop and market. Just saying if he makes money on this I would be surprised.
Stealing the name is a different mater.
<===Lefty===

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1175 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:17 AM »
The SmittyPro will be too expensive and will be too heavy.  He will fail.  Cannot patent a sled, you can only patent certain design features (possibly) and Eskimo may have a patent on their Lake Runner but only for the part that converts down to meet the ice.  Even that I'm not sure is a patentable idea.  If Eskimo's sled sells well enough then other companies with come out with their own versions.  The Lake Runner is expensive and for sleds,also if a guy puts his auger in the sled, as they suggest, then all his gear is gonna get ripped up.  Need to travel with your auger on the sled.

Let these guys sell their products, it doesn't matter (except for the name!!!)  Just read the topic of this post "my homemade $15 sled" and not "my storebought $115 sled"!

Smitty you have created something that a lot of guys and gals and their backs thank you for, you didn't do it for profit and shared it out of kindness and let me speak for all of us who have made one of your fantastic sleds, "Thank you for your free design and much respect to you!"  Hope the fish gods smile on you!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1176 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Thank you Johnny.......still torks me off a little to put Smitty on it.......will see how this works out.......like you said......it's over $100 bucks.......build one for $15-$20.......keep building em boys and keep posting your pics....thanks Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1177 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Smitty you have created something that a lot of guys and gals and their backs thank you for, you didn't do it for profit and shared it out of kindness and let me speak for all of us who have made one of your fantastic sleds, "Thank you for your free design and much respect to you!"  Hope the fish gods smile on you!

X2 - Thanks Smitty!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1178 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:38 AM »
I think when anyone plugs  in "Smitty Sled" into their search engine ..."My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled" will be one of the first choices ...it will live on ...maybe even more so..no such thing as bad publicity .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #1179 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:40 AM »
When Ben Franklin invented the wood stove, he did not patent it because he wanted all of mankind to benefit from his invention. Smitty is our Ben Franklin of icefishing.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1180 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:43 AM »
I checked this guy's site out and did not see a price. you think the price w/b about $100?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1181 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Don't forget its less than 10 days away from the Smitty Sled birthday ....Jan 25, 2009, 01:09 PM ...(first post) so lets parade them sleds for all to see and be encouraged ....Serving Ice Anglers since 2009

Thanx Smitty 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1182 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:50 AM »
Just for Ha ha's, I typed Smitty sled into a search engine and found it to be on 9 different icefishing forums( probably more but I was too lazy to look) and on youtube.  Smitty is very famous.  ;D

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1183 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:59 AM »
I checked this guy's site out and did not see a price. you think the price w/b about $100?

If aluminum it costs him more than that.
That will be the problem with him selling it.  It will have to be $300-$500 to make money, plus large item is expensive to ship.  Idea is going nowhere

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #1184 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:33 PM »
If aluminum it costs him more than that.
That will be the problem with him selling it.  It will have to be $300-$500 to make money, plus large item is expensive to ship.  Idea is going nowhere

2X Not to mention it takes skilled laborers to weld aluminum.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1185 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Don't forget its less than 10 days away from the Smitty Sled birthday ....Jan 25, 2009, 01:09 PM ...(first post) so lets parade them sleds for all to see and be encouraged ....Serving Ice Anglers since 2009

Thanx Smitty
I like the idea!! Let's start posting pics at 1:09pm on the 25th......Who's with me? I'm going to take a new pic of the original "Smitty" when I'm out this weekend.........LETS DO THIS!!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1186 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:56 PM »
I like the idea!! Let's start posting pics at 1:09pm on the 25th......Who's with me? I'm going to take a new pic of the original "Smitty" when I'm out this weekend.........LETS DO THIS!!
Put it on the Main board and I'll pin it to the top.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1187 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:35 PM »
When Ben Franklin invented the wood stove, he did not patent it because he wanted all of mankind to benefit from his invention. Smitty is our Ben Franklin of icefishing.

Right on.
<===Lefty===

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #1188 on: Jan 16, 2015, 03:50 PM »
I'll post...I made on a couple of years ago and didn't post a pic.  Coming soon!

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1189 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:57 PM »
I don't think he can use your name either Smitty. You might try looking for him on the Kickstarter website. Even though you don't sell them, I would think the name would be off limits. Any officials at kickstarter would agree and his project wouldn't qualify. Just guessing; but its worth looking into to put a stop to it. Good luck Smitty

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #1190 on: Jan 19, 2015, 10:45 AM »
  He'll definitely have to charge more than $200, most guys won't bite. Besides it's overbuilt for the walker, the original purpose. And lastly most of us walkers have already built ours. Guess I'll have to break down and do this photo pail business and post a pic of my lightweight aluminum collapsible Smitty. Took it out for the first time on Saturday, wow what a difference! Thanks Smitty!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1191 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:07 PM »
we all know that isnt a smitty sled,does it break down for travel in a car?,the people who buy these are office workers who cant make a true smitty sled,I just sold one for cost to a fellow from one of the fishing forums,didnt make any money but did a good deed.good luck to the guy he will need it.

Offline miked77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1192 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Finally got my smitty built! First real test comes tomorrow. She pulls easy with about 90 pounds on her in the driveway.  So far have just used the Clam sled pulling harness to pull and worked well, may still add a little rope to the tips of the skis. The harness pull straps are about 6-7' long.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #1193 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Nice Smitty Miked!
It is what it is....

Offline 4chevys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1194 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:05 PM »
I found this in the woods when I was cleaning up around my Grandma's house when she was moving.  I was scrapping all the metal around the place but for some reason saved this.  I talked to my Dad and he said my Great Uncle built it to tow behind a snowmobile way back in the 60's.  I want to resurrect it because of the back story.  It is built like a brick crap house.  It is made of galvanized water pipe.  The attaching hardware is made of stainless so restoration will be easy.    I have some old water skis to replace the skis and another pair to make a traditional Smitty sled.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1195 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I thought I would add mine here as well...

I had everything except the stainless bolt, nut, and wing nut (X4) that are used to attach the cross boards to the uprights..

1/2" Birch ply for the uprights, 1x6" for the cross boards, and 3/4" angle iron (sourced from bed frame rails)....

I have been building and using sleds with down hill skis for 25 years now and prefer using only one mount in the ski's binding area.. The ski can flex and work like a suspension system for a very smooth quiet ride..

This is my first break down style sled though, thanks for the idea Smitty!!

Walked it out 1 mile on Erie tonight and it pulls like a dream!

Pictures....

<*)))>{

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #1196 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:04 PM »
nice job on the smitty
I like the old smitty also.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1197 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:35 AM »
Nice job scratcher......I really like that alot.......Thanks for sharing it with us. Smitty

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1198 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Here are a cpl I recently threw together.. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1199 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:11 AM »
Nice job scratcher......I really like that alot.......Thanks for sharing it with us. Smitty

Thanks Smitty!

Happy anniversary man! 60 pages, six years, maybe on the 10th it'll be 100 pages?

Just think of the combined joules of force saved these 60 pages would add up to!

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.