Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 820743 times)

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #1080 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Wider skies are better they help to keep the sled on top of the snow

I thought so.  I can always bevel the edges with a file. Thanks!
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1081 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I'm assembling materials for a "Smitty Sled" and I'm going to our local high schools ski swap soon to get some beater skis to use.  My question is do you guys that have built them like the wider downhill skis or the narrower cross county style better.  I like that the cross country skis don't have sharp metal edges to slice me or my car up but I can see the wide alpine skis floating better?

Personally I prefer the downhills on my two smitty's.  They do ride a little higher on the snow and I have found them more resilient than Xcountry.  I've never had a problem with the metal edges and I do lay a moving blanket under them in the back of my explorer but that's more to catch the ice and snow and prevent puddles/frozen carpet.

Although less drag is what you're after (by going to a smitty sled in the first place) it's also about having enough surface area to remain on top of the snow (the balance is about diminishing and eventually negative returns).  Xcountry skis will have less surface area but if they sink into the snow and have snow passing over their tips, tops and onto your risers than that drag is actually increasing.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1082 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:30 PM »
That's quite a mule train in that picture.  I wish that I could find a really old pair of jumping skis.  Those are about six inches wide although you'd have to cut them down shorter..  They are almost impossible to find nowadays because all the high schools here have eliminated jumping from the ski team events because of insurance costs.  I'll hope to find a nice pair of shortys at the sale   ; - ) 
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1083 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Downhill skis are better.
<===Lefty===

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #1084 on: Nov 06, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I used downhill skis with excellent results. Make sure you post pics VTWoodchuck. Always great to see the results of people's efforts.
It is what it is....

Offline drstizo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1085 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:01 AM »
just wanted to say thanks for the great idea, finished up my smitty sled this weekend and can't wait to try it out

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1086 on: Nov 13, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I have an idea to get rid of the drop in bolts that hold the cross pieces to the skis. Make the notches on supports on skis 1 1/2 inch wide instead of the 2 1/2 inch width. Next cut a notch near the end of each cross piece, leaving about 6 inches at each end. Notches in crosspiece should be 1 1/4 deep by 1 1/2 wide. Cross pieces should then friction fit into risers on skis. With some weight on the sled it shouldn't come apart and now when disassembling for storage there are no bolts to lose.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline drstizo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1087 on: Nov 13, 2014, 01:33 PM »
some pics of mine

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1088 on: Nov 13, 2014, 03:53 PM »
It is what it is....

Offline Good_Time_Ranger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1089 on: Nov 14, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Can someone give me the measurements of the braces that screw to the skis??  Thanks

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1090 on: Nov 14, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Can someone give me the measurements of the braces that screw to the skis??  Thanks

You can really make them any length, width and height you want. I went with some 2x12's, only because i had it already. I believe I went with 8" lengths. The width is 2" and the height was 12". If you look at some of the earlier posts, they may indicate what they used. I think some may go shorter and smaller due to weight issues.
It is what it is....

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1091 on: Nov 14, 2014, 12:53 PM »

Used a 2'x6' for the riser the base is 12inchs long with the top being 10 inches long (then just an angle cut between the two)...I used a 2"x3" for the cross braces to cut down on weight some ..instead of a 2x4
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1092 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Well I jumped on the bandwagon and build me a smitty sled for flipover.  I put some water seal on the wood and waiting for it to dry.  Hopefully will have enough ice next week. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1093 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Come on where is the picture?
<===Lefty===

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1094 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:24 PM »
was waiting for the water sealant to dry.  I will take pic later and post.  I will have to make another one now.  I ordered a clam kenai from dicks last night, $170 and free shipping.  Needed a one man for one of my kids to use when we all go.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1095 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Here is the picture of mine.  Looks like most of the rest.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1096 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Here is the picture of mine.  Looks like most of the rest.

Nice job!
It is what it is....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1097 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Nice. Didn't mean to rush on a picture,was just joking really.
<===Lefty===

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1098 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Very nice indeed ..you will love how easy they pull though the snow.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1099 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Nice. Didn't mean to rush on a picture,was just joking really.

When I posted I knew I should have included a picture. ;)

Offline miked77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1100 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Found myself a nice set of downhill skis during a trip to Goodwill today! Less than 8$ with taxes in!  Gonna be a few weeks, but will be trying my second attempt at a smitty sled.  First attempt didn't go so well but putting more planning into this one.  Have slightly lightened my load since that first one so may help also.  Will post pics when its done!

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1101 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Built myself one to hold my ever expanding collection of gear. After reading through all 52 pages at least twice. I built mine to put my 949 on the side of the tub now my auger an stuff has plenty of room. Thanx for all the great ideas!
]

Offline donnie_o8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1102 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:43 AM »
Getting ready to build one of these gems. Got a question? I see a lot of you hanging the bag type shelter on the side of your sled. Doesn't this cause one ski to dig deeper than the other because the weight being directly over that ski? Does it track funny that way? I am thinking of putting my bag across the back sideways on the skis but this could be another problem if entering though a gate or poles near a parking area. Be putting up pics soon as I get started.....Wife sayin sumtin bout Christmas lights :-\. Suppose I better get it done its almost 50 out and we all know "a happy wife is a happy life".. ::) Or I could go get in my tree stand....lol.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1103 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:32 AM »
I have my Gas auger on one side of my sled and the tent on the other side with the over hang. Not a problem at all.
<===Lefty===

Offline donnie_o8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1104 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I don't have a power auger to use as a counter weight on the other side of the sled. I see a few guys built that way but was just not to sure how it would pull with the" hut in a bag " on one side and nothing on the other. still looking into different ways to load stuff so we'll see what happens.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1105 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:10 PM »
load the shelter in the middle of the sled

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1106 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Getting ready to build one of these gems. Got a question? I see a lot of you hanging the bag type shelter on the side of your sled. Doesn't this cause one ski to dig deeper than the other because the weight being directly over that ski? Does it track funny that way? I am thinking of putting my bag across the back sideways on the skis but this could be another problem if entering though a gate or poles near a parking area. Be putting up pics soon as I get started.....Wife sayin sumtin bout Christmas lights :-\. Suppose I better get it done its almost 50 out and we all know "a happy wife is a happy life".. ::) Or I could go get in my tree stand....lol.
As mentioned, just load it on the middle, lengthwise, parallel to the skis. But I'm sure you will have other equipment.
It is what it is....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1107 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:35 PM »
I don't have a power auger to use as a counter weight on the other side of the sled. I see a few guys built that way but was just not to sure how it would pull with the" hut in a bag " on one side and nothing on the other. still looking into different ways to load stuff so we'll see what happens.
Drinks,food tackle on the other side. Those tents are not very heavy. Mine is the Shappell Wide House 6500 28 LBs. The tent stakes go into a setup bag I have.
<===Lefty===

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1108 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:56 PM »
You can also carry your auger by having long enough crossbars to scoot the tub off to one side and place the auger beside the tub on the ends of the crossbars.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1109 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:19 AM »
I do not dismantle my smitty. I screwed a piece of 2 by 4 riser to the end of the cross bars on one side of the sled. I put 3 pair of screw in hooks to the out side. I hang my auger, spud and spreader s to keep my canvas from slapping o in the wind on the hooks.

The sled does have a tendency to tip over if I pull the shanty of the sled first but I take the auger off the top hooks first eliminating that problem with the heave spud on the bottom hooks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.