Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 822202 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #840 on: Dec 08, 2013, 03:27 AM »
Wow the smitty sked is a awsome idea.. the people using jet sleds on top are you screwing the sled to the 2x6's or just setting it up there and bungieing it down ??Iam definitely makinone. of these this weekend.
the sled is not attached to the skis. it is bungeed or tied to them. I use nylon cinch straps with hooks. that way, the skis can be broken down for storage

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #841 on: Dec 08, 2013, 03:30 AM »
I was thinking maybe some larger wider lawnmower type wheels mounted on my Smitty's crossboards -  so that it becomes a Smitty Kart when flipped over. Roll it down to the ice then detach sled/gear and flip then reattach ski side down. Permanently installing 6 or 8 inch wheels wouldn't be too hard.  My crossboards extend a foot out so that I can lash the auger or pop-up.
post a pix  if you do this.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #842 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:11 AM »
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline jeepman307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #843 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:03 AM »
home made is always better you can customize it to exactly what you need

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #844 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Re: Wheels.  My solution was to install 4 screw hooks (not screw eyes), one on each of the 4 upright blocks fore and aft.  Place them about 2 inches above the skis, open side down.  Make sure they are wide enough for your axles to fit within.  This works like a charm.  When you get to the ice, simply lift the sled front and back and the axles will drop right out.  Remove the wheels and spacers ( to avoid rubbing the skis) by removing the snap pins that hold the wheels on.  Your left with two axle rods about 30 inches long, four PVCC pipe spacers and four ~8 inch wheels.  Put the spacers back on the axles and the snap pins back in the axles.  Add the axles and the four wheels to the sled load and go fish. ;D ;D ;D

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #845 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:51 AM »
how about a picture of this frigidare????
Gator Nation

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #846 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:18 AM »
  I'm still having trouble posting more than one picture at a time  ???.  Anyway here is a close up picture of one of the wheel assemblies. On the outside, simple drill a hole through the 1/2 inch aluminum axle for the snap pin to secure the wheel in place ;D ;D ;D  I resized the picture to 600x450; I hope that's what you get when I post this. ;)

Offline Cranked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #847 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:19 AM »
That idea is putting my mind in overdrive.
Definitely need pictures.

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #848 on: Dec 08, 2013, 01:17 PM »
I was thinking maybe some larger wider lawnmower type wheels mounted on my Smitty's crossboards -  so that it becomes a Smitty Kart when flipped over. Roll it down to the ice then detach sled/gear and flip then reattach ski side down. Permanently installing 6 or 8 inch wheels wouldn't be too hard.  My crossboards extend a foot out so that I can lash the auger or pop-up.

I'm lucky my boys are done with their training wheels.  I'm making a mod on my sled to slip an axle through so I can wheel across the asphalt.  I'm trying to keep those $5 skis as good as the day I got them at the rummage sale!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #849 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:02 PM »
I here I was thinking I was done with my build... Lol
It is what it is....

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #850 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:34 PM »

For a stronger design, I used thru axles to carry heavier weights:

At 225 pounds, Ive ridden this sled down my driveway and across my lawn.  Its nice and sturdy.  I just need to put a steering wheel on it to avoid hitting things!!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #851 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Harbor freight has 8" pneumatic wheels for 5 bucks
Gator Nation

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #852 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:44 PM »
That's where I got mine.

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #853 on: Dec 11, 2013, 08:23 PM »
ok i finally got my smitty like sled done and its all painted and waiting patiently for safe ice

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #854 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:21 AM »
Looks good, hope you get ice soon.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #855 on: Dec 12, 2013, 07:10 AM »
4426 - if you add a 2nd piece with holes drilled out under that rear 2x4 an the rods will stand up straight. nice set up.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #856 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:04 AM »
4426.......Nice work, you will love it, show us some pics out on the ice. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #857 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:42 PM »
I was on my way home from work yesterday and in  someones yard leaning on a tree was a nice  set of skis with a nice FREE sign hanging from them. Oh yea cant wait to build my sled.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #858 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Smitty I made a sled last year and just used it for the first time today. OH my Goosh I hardly knew I was pulling all my gear with the skis. I had to have my wife try it out and she was amazed. I have an Eskimo Z51 auger,2 Chairs with extra cushions,A fold out table, 2 3 Foot Scoops,Marcum troller and bag setup,Another bag with Tip downs,a large bag that has 6 rod/reel combos,It also has 4 double sided Lure/Jig boxes and some small boxes from Custom Jigs and spins,2 Pliers,2 other tins with Fastach and clips,A large Old Pal Tackle box,A bucket with 4 rod holders bait and Extra blades for the auger. Then I had my Shappell Wide House 6500 strapped on the side. I would say over 110 pounds easy. Pulled like a dream.
<===Lefty===

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #859 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:52 PM »
1010 pounds?  Wow.  And I thought I had too much   I've never weighed it, but it's nowhere close to that.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #860 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:46 AM »
1010 pounds?  Wow.  And I thought I had too much   I've never weighed it, but it's nowhere close to that.
I thought what? I went back and modified that post. It is 110. I guess I had an extra 0 in there.
<===Lefty===

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #861 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:12 AM »
Ha ha.  I figured.  Couldn't resist.  I carry probably 50-100 myself depending on what Im doing.  Sometimes its just a rod or two, my hand auger, flasher, and a pocket full of jigs.

Offline Allen1203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hunter!
« Reply #862 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Smitty I made a sled last year and just used it for the first time today. OH my Goosh I hardly knew I was pulling all my gear with the skis. I had to have my wife try it out and she was amazed. I have an Eskimo Z51 auger,2 Chairs with extra cushions,A fold out table, 2 3 Foot Scoops,Marcum troller and bag setup,Another bag with Tip downs,a large bag that has 6 rod/reel combos,It also has 4 double sided Lure/Jig boxes and some small boxes from Custom Jigs and spins,2 Pliers,2 other tins with Fastach and clips,A large Old Pal Tackle box,A bucket with 4 rod holders bait and Extra blades for the auger. Then I had my Shappell Wide House 6500 strapped on the side. I would say over 110 pounds easy. Pulled like a dream.

Pics or it never happened!
Levi

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #863 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Pics or it never happened!
Next trip out. I can't take pictures of what's in the back of my Explorer. Well I can it just wont show you everything. I never did like show and tell. I just liked the tell part.
<===Lefty===

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #864 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:39 PM »
What is the shortest ski people have used?  I need to replace my original skis and have some really short ones......     Think they would be ok?
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #865 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:41 PM »
I think kids ski's would be good enough for a Jet Sled or Cabela's type sled. Or a smaller one man flip over. Depends on what you use it for.In fact I think they would work for any thing they are longer than.
<===Lefty===

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #866 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:49 PM »
I've looked and did not see this question posted, although I may have missed it in the 44 pages. Has anyone started with one style of ski and gone to another (downhill/cross country) ??? I was also curious if anyone had issues with the steel edges on downhill skis cutting or catching on anything ??? Getting ready to build a sled and do not want builder's remorse.
Great designs so far fellas :)

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #867 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:20 AM »
Down hill skis should be wider giving more support on snow.

Must be making ice up there this morning.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #868 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:40 AM »
I've looked and did not see this question posted, although I may have missed it in the 44 pages. Has anyone started with one style of ski and gone to another (downhill/cross country) ??? I was also curious if anyone had issues with the steel edges on downhill skis cutting or catching on anything ??? Getting ready to build a sled and do not want builder's remorse.
Great designs so far fellas :)
Just used mine for the first time the other day. The only problem I had was turning too sharp.
<===Lefty===

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #869 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:44 AM »
I forgot about making a sled this fall and donated some old Downhill skis to Good Will. Oh well, such is life.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.