Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 820656 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #810 on: Nov 25, 2013, 12:42 PM »
i'm sorry. not sure what you mean, then

Offline MLRTYM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #811 on: Nov 25, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Got my smitty sled finished. 2x6 bases, 2x4 cross members, green treated. Skis $10, lumber $10, hardware $5.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #812 on: Nov 25, 2013, 01:44 PM »
sweet!

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #813 on: Nov 25, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Smitty sled version 2.0  Version 1.0 is on pg 17 or 19; I forget which.  This one uses 2x6 double bolted cross bars to make it more rigid.  Being personally inspected by Chester, world's darkest orange (fat) cat.

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #814 on: Nov 25, 2013, 02:36 PM »

Here is version 2.0 fully loaded with 120qt cooler, Shapell 6000, Jiffy 30 (1982!) and a folding camp chair.  Four foot extra strong bungee cords to hold everything down.  Ready for the ice!!! Soon!!!!

I tried to get both pics into one post but I failed ???

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #815 on: Nov 25, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Got my smitty sled finished. 2x6 bases, 2x4 cross members, green treated. Skis $10, lumber $10, hardware $5.

SWEET!
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #816 on: Nov 25, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Here is version 2.0 fully loaded with 120qt cooler, Shapell 6000, Jiffy 30 (1982!) and a folding camp chair.  Four foot extra strong bungee cords to hold everything down.  Ready for the ice!!! Soon!!!!

SWEET!
It is what it is....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #817 on: Nov 25, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Good work on the new version. I think I will have to go with the 2x6's next year and double bolts.
<===Lefty===

Offline diddly4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #818 on: Nov 27, 2013, 01:58 PM »
Is there any need to compensate for the slight upwards bow that skids naturally have in the middle along with the slight taper of thickness from the middle to the end/tip. It seems to me that even with weight on top if the finished sled it the 2x6s that are being attached to the skis won't be exactly parallel to the ground. Will this slight angle really have that much of an effect? I plan on building my sled this weekend. Thanks.

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #819 on: Nov 27, 2013, 02:02 PM »
You did good :tipup: :icefish:

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #820 on: Nov 27, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Reply to Diddy4.  The rise in the middle of the ski is of no concern.  If you use long-ish blocks like mine, 14" on the bottom, held on tightly with 4 countersunk screws each, you will forcibly remove most of the bulge. Otherwise your load simply straddles it anyway. :)

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #821 on: Dec 03, 2013, 10:19 AM »
What are people using to cut the notch out of the base? I used a jig saw and made a mess of it. Got it to work some what.

I tell myself this is the test smity sled and the next one will be better.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #822 on: Dec 03, 2013, 10:32 AM »
What are people using to cut the notch out of the base? I used a jig saw and made a mess of it. Got it to work some what.

drill two pilot holes in the crotch of the notch out if your going to use a jig saw, rather than trying to round the cut
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #823 on: Dec 03, 2013, 11:04 AM »
I did that and still couldnt make a straight cut. Never could cut straight with a jig saw must be a left handed thing.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #824 on: Dec 03, 2013, 02:33 PM »
I used a band saw then a nice sharp chisel..
It is what it is....

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #825 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:48 PM »

clamp all bases together. mark where you want the notch - just draw a line across the top of the bases. preset your table saw or circular saw to the depth that you want. make several passes to cut the notch. each pass can be like 1/8" from the last one so that you have a series thin pieces standing. knock out these standing pieces. your cross piece will fit in the notches. it's like cutting 1 and getting 4.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #826 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:19 PM »

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #827 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:28 PM »
I had to modify/repair my risers. While unloading my sled last year I dropped it off the back of my truck. I ended up breaking the cross beams as it crashed too the ground. I made new cross beams. Then while taking apart the newly fixed smitty sled one of the risers broke at the top. Since my cross beams were made from scraps I had in my garage (1 1/2 x 2"), I thought I would make new, stronger ones from 2 x 4's. So I had to cut my notches wider. What a pain in the butt to cut each one as it is still on the ski. I did it but it isn't pretty. And the one riser that was broken I had to screw on a "L" bracket. I might get through this winter and them redo it all next summer.
jbird68

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #828 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:41 PM »
clamp all bases together. mark where you want the notch - just draw a line across the top of the bases. preset your table saw or circular saw to the depth that you want. make several passes to cut the notch. each pass can be like 1/8" from the last one so that you have a series thin pieces standing. knock out these standing pieces. your cross piece will fit in the notches. it's like cutting 1 and getting 4.
Nearly exactly what I did . My clamps only allowed me to cut two at a time, but I got two for one. Exactly the same size.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #829 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Finished this up today. I'm 68 and pan fish. So its travel lite for me. Its all in the tote and the tote is my seat. My Tanaka/Mora 6 in. rides on top.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline headjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #830 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Wow the smitty sked is a awsome idea.. the people using jet sleds on top are you screwing the sled to the 2x6's or just setting it up there and bungieing it down ??Iam definitely makinone. of these this weekend.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #831 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:37 PM »
I use bungees.
<===Lefty===

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #832 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:44 PM »
I have an Eskimo Sled and use Cam-Lock straps. Quick and easy.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline dorion81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #833 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:20 PM »
hi all, new here and just started my build. i'm at the stage where i have to mount the skis/legs to the undercarriage of the sled and was wondering how far back on the skis should the sled be attached? should the back of the sled be in line with the back of the skis? should i leave a few inches of rear ski over-hang? should i put the sled dead center of the skis? any help would be appreciated! :)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #834 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:23 PM »
hi all, new here and just started my build. i'm at the stage where i have to mount the skis/legs to the undercarriage of the sled and was wondering how far back on the skis should the sled be attached? should the back of the sled be in line with the back of the skis? should i leave a few inches of rear ski over-hang? should i put the sled dead center of the skis? any help would be appreciated! :)

dead center  ;)   ….    just like skiers on skis
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline dorion81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #835 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:39 PM »
makes sense lol thanks for the reply! :)

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #836 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:19 PM »
I still am trying to figure out a quick wheel setup.  Just for going across parking lots. Right now I have large bolts but I use my drill to put them on and take them off.
Gator Nation

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #837 on: Dec 07, 2013, 11:06 PM »
I still am trying to figure out a quick wheel setup.  Just for going across parking lots. Right now I have large bolts but I use my drill to put them on and take them off.

Maybe something like a quick release on a bicycle wheel.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #838 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:27 AM »
I was thinking maybe some larger wider lawnmower type wheels mounted on my Smitty's crossboards -  so that it becomes a Smitty Kart when flipped over. Roll it down to the ice then detach sled/gear and flip then reattach ski side down. Permanently installing 6 or 8 inch wheels wouldn't be too hard.  My crossboards extend a foot out so that I can lash the auger or pop-up.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #839 on: Dec 08, 2013, 03:20 AM »
I was thinking maybe some larger wider lawnmower type wheels mounted on my Smitty's crossboards -  so that it becomes a Smitty Kart when flipped over. Roll it down to the ice then detach sled/gear and flip then reattach ski side down. Permanently installing 6 or 8 inch wheels wouldn't be too hard.  My crossboards extend a foot out so that I can lash the auger or pop-up.

Oh! I like this idea! A cart, then flipped and now a sled again. The Smitty Sled/Copperjohn Cart!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.