Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 823591 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #780 on: Nov 05, 2013, 05:46 AM »
Nice job Musky8it.  If you fill up all those pole holders you shouldn't have to tie a single jig on while on the ice! 

Love all the ingenuity in the posts!

Yep all full with poles. My upclose eyesight is very poor so re-tieing different colored jigs on 2-3lb line I find hard. Much easier just to change poles.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #781 on: Nov 05, 2013, 09:32 PM »
I made my sled from cut down 2x4's to save a little weight, and the real prize was a yard sale cooler, a 48 quart. It was surprisingly lighter than a tool box and that kept the center of gravity lower on the trip out. On the trip back it's usually full of lake trout so it has a lower center of gravity then.  With little snow in southwest Wyoming, I can go with the 2x3's for the materials on the frame and not drag bottom.  Another cheapy tip is to stop by the local house being built and get permission to dumpster dive.  Contractors throw away a lot of scrap pieces that are gold to the sled builder. 
Thread killer

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #782 on: Nov 06, 2013, 06:59 AM »
I made my sled from cut down 2x4's to save a little weight, and the real prize was a yard sale cooler, a 48 quart. It was surprisingly lighter than a tool box and that kept the center of gravity lower on the trip out. On the trip back it's usually full of lake trout so it has a lower center of gravity then.  With little snow in southwest Wyoming, I can go with the 2x3's for the materials on the frame and not drag bottom.  Another cheapy tip is to stop by the local house being built and get permission to dumpster dive.  Contractors throw away a lot of scrap pieces that are gold to the sled builder.
I like your tip on Dumpster Diving. Construction is far and few around here though.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #783 on: Nov 06, 2013, 07:15 AM »
wouldn't it be easier to pull in tandem(one behind the other),  should be way less drag. 
need a bigger sled

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #784 on: Nov 06, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Over 101,000 views!! Thanks for keeping the "smitty sled" going!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #785 on: Nov 06, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Thanks goes to you Smitty.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #786 on: Nov 06, 2013, 08:50 PM »
yeah, but how many sleds built?

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #787 on: Nov 07, 2013, 06:03 PM »
I would like to share the Smitty Sled I made. I still have to add a tow rope. I plan on drilling a hole in the tip of each ski and anchoring the ends to eye screws in each of the two risers up front.
Many thanks to Smitty and all of you who posted comments and pics of your own builds for inspiring me.
The cost was about $25-30. I had the skis(curb-side special) and the wood. I purchased some Spar Varnish and Liquid Nail adhesive. I added the hangers on each riser as a way to hold my Fish Trap or my other sled to the top of the Smitty Sled using bungee cords.
The pins holding the cross members in place were landscapers nails which I had. I recessed the screws into the bottom of the skis as suggested by numerous members. I used a band saw, drill, hammer and sawsall. I carved the Bass, Pickerel, Perch and Gill on each riser using a Burgess Vibro-Tool, from the dark ages, as well as some whittling blades.

It is what it is....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #788 on: Nov 07, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Sweet. Like the Carvings.
<===Lefty===

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #789 on: Nov 07, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Sweet. Like the Carvings.

Thanks Lefty!
It is what it is....

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #790 on: Nov 07, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Carvings are awesome

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #791 on: Nov 08, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Carvings are awesome

Thanks Rdhammah! It was my first time using the Vibro-Tool. Made things a lot easier.
It is what it is....

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #792 on: Nov 10, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Corndog.....you have taken it to the next level, the carvings look simply amazing, I am glad I could inspire you. Thanks for sharing your beautiful sled. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #793 on: Nov 10, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Corndog.....you have taken it to the next level, the carvings look simply amazing, I am glad I could inspire you. Thanks for sharing your beautiful sled. Smitty

Many thanks Smitty.. But honestly I never would have done it if you hadn't started this thread..
It is what it is....

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #794 on: Nov 16, 2013, 07:15 PM »
I decided to build a smitty sled because we bought a new shelter this year and it wouldn't fit on our sled without modification. I built a frame off the back of the sled and put straps there to strap a chair and the shelter there.  I've pulled it through the snow when we got a few inches of it a week ago and it pulled with ease. I was just wondering if you guys think it will be easier to pull if i cut off the part of the skis after the rear support so the weight on the back lifts the front up or do you think it is better to leave it as it is?

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #795 on: Nov 17, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Great job on your build, you will love it! I don't think cutting your skies off at the back will make any difference of how it pulls, I would leave them alone. I cut about 6 in. off mine, but that was solely so they would fit in my car.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #796 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:16 AM »
Don't cut them any shorter. The more surface area the more weight they can float in snow. That's why powder skis are so much wider than cross country skis.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #797 on: Nov 17, 2013, 08:08 AM »
Don't cut them any shorter. The more surface area the more weight they can float in snow. That's why powder skis are so much wider than cross country skis.

X2

And the center of gravity will still be rearward if that gains you an advantage. I would prefer a balanced load, however. It makes more sense to me to spread the weight over the skiis evenly.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #798 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:02 AM »
Okay thanks for the advice, we have a truck so length is not an issue and I was thinking that also (more surface area equals more payload ) , just wanted to be sure

Offline diddly4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #799 on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:20 PM »
What works better, cross country skis or downhill skis? Thanks.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #800 on: Nov 19, 2013, 03:29 AM »
Downhill.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #801 on: Nov 19, 2013, 07:09 AM »
Downhill.

No question downhill. If you can, use a more modern pair of "All Mountain" skis.  You are trying to "float" weight in snow, so the wider the better.

Offline MLRTYM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #802 on: Nov 21, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I think you know what this means…

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #803 on: Nov 24, 2013, 11:03 PM »
I'm definitely building one this year, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting the skis at a slight angle,  so the metal edges of the skis have some bite into the ice or snow pack? 

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #804 on: Nov 25, 2013, 04:24 AM »
I'm definitely building one this year, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting the skis at a slight angle,  so the metal edges of the skis have some bite into the ice or snow pack?
I'd think you'd want them flat to distribute the weight,rather than biting in. Think about skiing, if you're on your inner edges you're trying to slow down. You want minimum resistance.
Mike

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #805 on: Nov 25, 2013, 06:34 AM »
also, if you do put them on edge and if one is straight and the other is not, it will not track straight. called a snow plow turn.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #806 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:21 AM »
Slide easy not grip. I don't get your logic!
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #807 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:28 AM »
the whole idea for the smitty sled is to make it EASIER you pull your gear

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #808 on: Nov 25, 2013, 09:09 AM »
I'll echo what the others have said.....keep em' flat....let's see it when you get her done.....Thanks Smitty

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #809 on: Nov 25, 2013, 09:14 AM »
I was talking about putting the skis on a slight edge, almost like how an old steel runner sled works, not deviating the angle of the skis themselves.  Just pitching the edges up, in essence.  Oh well, maybe I will give it a shot and report my findings!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.