Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 821989 times)

Offline diddly4

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #750 on: Mar 04, 2013, 06:37 PM »
So I just bought a Clam 5600 and I'm going to build one of these "smittysleds" but I was wondering if I some how built my sled so that after I set up the ice shelter I could put it on top of the sled and fish from it. The reason I want to do this is two fold, first I can easily open the floor flaps and just drill into the ice. I won't have to first mark the ice, then move the shanty, drill the holes and then move the shanty back. Secondly I can easily move my shanty around after I have set it up on the ice in case I want to move. So does anyone think this is possible? How much weight can these sleds hold? I'm thinking I'd make it traditionally with two skis for initial transport but then allow me to increase the size to 3 or 4 skis once set up shelter is placed on top. How much would I need to reinforce the floor so that if I'm in the shanty walking around the floor won't warp under my weight and anyone else inside? Can I achieve this with just cross beams of 2x4s or would I need a sheet of plywood. Obviously o wouldn't want it to get too heavy that i have trouble pulling it. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I figure I've got all off season to perfect it.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #751 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:26 PM »
So I just bought a Clam 5600 and I'm going to build one of these "smittysleds" but I was wondering if I some how built my sled so that after I set up the ice shelter I could put it on top of the sled and fish from it. ...................... ...................... ......... or would I need a sheet of plywood. Obviously o wouldn't want it to get too heavy that i have trouble pulling it. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I figure I've got all off season to perfect it.

Yes, you could do it.  I'd suggest using a sheet of 1/2" or even 5/8" plywood.   I would also make some type of "box" to go from the opening in the shanty to the ice to keep the cold air from blowing back up the holes.  and be sure to lay it out so that when you drill your holes, the ski's or supports aren't in the way... Personally I think it would be easier to mark the holes and slide the shelter over it..  You can always load the opened up shanty back on the sled to move it..  I've done it many times..

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #752 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has posted pics and of course the creator of this thread.  Finally made a "Smitty Sled".  Well actually my father in-law made it for me.  My first attempt was an epic failure which resulted in a pile of junk attached to some skis.  I decided to pony up and go spend the $4 for a 2x6.  I can not even describe how awesome this "Smitty" design is.  I had a whole week off for spring break and intended on ice fishing the whole time.  After 3 days of dragging my Nanook thru 10 inches of slush and wet snow I was rewarded on Friday with my completed sled.  After a 10 minute walk (normally 20 min easy) I got to my new honey hole and had a limit of crappies in a little over an hour.  I now look forward to dragging (opps I should say gliding) my new sled out.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #753 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has posted pics and of course the creator of this thread.  Finally made a "Smitty Sled".  Well actually my father in-law made it for me.  My first attempt was an epic failure which resulted in a pile of junk attached to some skis.  I decided to pony up and go spend the $4 for a 2x6.  I can not even describe how awesome this "Smitty" design is.  I had a whole week off for spring break and intended on ice fishing the whole time.  After 3 days of dragging my Nanook thru 10 inches of slush and wet snow I was rewarded on Friday with my completed sled.  After a 10 minute walk (normally 20 min easy) I got to my new honey hole and had a limit of crappies in a little over an hour.  I now look forward to dragging (opps I should say gliding) my new sled out.
Well show it off!!!!  PICTURES
Gator Nation

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #754 on: Mar 22, 2013, 12:39 AM »
Welcome to Iceshanty fishNdisc.

Stick around for the summer, you'll be amazed.   

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #755 on: Mar 22, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Pictures of my new Smitty sled are in my flickr account,  can't figure how to get pics up yet.  No bolts needed. 
http://flic.kr/p/e5cTYA

Offline JigginChenango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #756 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:27 AM »
38 pages and lets just say I am impressed! Lookin for skis and have plans drawn up, operation I want one about to start. Thanks smitty.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #757 on: Mar 22, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Here is my sled before rounding the corners and painting it. Minimal weight, no fastners. The cross pieces are mortised into the uprights. They just pop right out.
 Used it today.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #758 on: Mar 23, 2013, 10:28 AM »
Here is my sled before rounding the corners and painting it. Minimal weight, no fastners. The cross pieces are mortised into the uprights. They just pop right out.
 Used it today.
(Image removed from quote.)

I know you're trying to lighten the sled but I don't think the plywood will cut the mustard. JMHO. I could be wrong.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #759 on: Mar 23, 2013, 01:34 PM »
been out 3 times with it and no problems yet. my sled( homemade flip over) only weighs 33# empty

I don't even tie it down to the sled.

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #760 on: Mar 28, 2013, 09:02 PM »
I want to thank everyone for posting pictures of their Smitty sleds.  I now enjoy gliding across the ice.  Although still envious of the 4 wheelers and snowmobiles.  I get a nice 15 minute jaunt to my new honey hole.  No Joke, first time with new sled, limit 21 crappies, 4 gills.,;D

Offline Blugoat5

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Old and Retired
« Reply #761 on: Apr 07, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Do you have pictures of the sled Thanks

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #762 on: Apr 19, 2013, 08:41 AM »
Private message sent.

Offline Phazer icefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #763 on: Aug 13, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Do smitty sled work behind a snowmobile/atv?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #764 on: Aug 13, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Just don't hit the brakes!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #765 on: Aug 14, 2013, 05:27 AM »
Just need to make a tow bar to keep it from hitting the back of the snowmobile

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #766 on: Aug 28, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Garages are warm and skis are cheap. Now's the time to think about making a sled.

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #767 on: Sep 19, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I flattened the ends of conduit and rounded corners,drilled each to accept speed clips,two ends are over lapped at 6 wheeler hitch and clipped.Other ends to a stout eye bolt each side inside towards sled front. Not looking for hurky jerky start stops or would incorporate a spring to reduce shock.The small amount of play at linked ends should be fine if hauled sanely.
Not originally designed for towing but Thanks Smitty!
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #768 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Might even wax the skis for the first full season with my new sleigh.  Super Easy design awesomeness.  Can't wait for first ice. @)
Pictures here, Zero bolts.
http://flic.kr/p/e5cTYA

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #769 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Might even wax the skis for the first full season with my new sleigh.  Super Easy design awesomeness.  Can't wait for first ice. @)
Pictures here, Zero bolts.

That is a great idea. Really liking the no bolts concept.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #770 on: Sep 23, 2013, 10:06 PM »
I use mine all year. I pull wood, dirt, groceries, whatever in mine.  Put some wheels on it and you'll look for excuses to use it just to make your life easier.

Online rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #771 on: Sep 24, 2013, 06:47 AM »
Ok, I've put in some garage time and got a sled built............well, do you ever have it completely done? The first picture is my old fishing sled. The rods/reels aren't in there, but you get the picture. Throw everything in and hope for the best. This little sled would have me huffing and puffing across the ice I tell ya. And when its snowing or raining the thing would fill up with water.......everything would be wet.......and then freeze........well, you get the picture.

Now, thanks to Smitty, I have a sled beginning to take shape. I used 2x6's on the skis and 2x4's for cross braces. I'll use the Xcountry skis for now, but plan on finding downhill skis to replace them. I hope this rig isn't too heavy. I haven't really had a chance to get out since the warm up.

The box I used is a Contico Xtreme toolbox. It has a hinged lid that I can sit on and will keep my stuff drier. Mounted my Nils on one side, buckets on the back and pole holders across the front. I'm working on a really nice way to store my rod/reels on the back side of the lid. I'll post that soon. We got some snow last night, so I'll take her out for a test drive today.

I had similar setup. tried using it in deep snow. coming from parking area, had to go down slight hill.and then step down edge to ice. think tipped over. luckily, everything was locked in the box.  my setup was top heavy. gonna widen the cross pieces and lower the center of gravity.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #772 on: Oct 23, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Love em' all......Thanks for keeping this thread alive.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Online rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #773 on: Oct 24, 2013, 07:01 AM »
center of gavity - same thing happened to me last year also going to lengthen the cross pieces

Online rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #774 on: Oct 24, 2013, 07:29 AM »
mjmeyer - the way you have the auger handle hanging so low, doesn't it drag in deep snow? wouldn't this be problematic?

Online rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #775 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:56 PM »
wouldn't it be interesting to get a count of how many of these sleds have been built since Smitty 1st posted this?

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #776 on: Nov 04, 2013, 08:11 PM »
mjmeyer - the way you have the auger handle hanging so low, doesn't it drag in deep snow? wouldn't this be problematic?
It DOES hang very low. I haven't hauled it through much snow. I wish it would mount horizontal rather than vertical. I'll need to look into it if we get much snow. It hangs naturally the way it's shown in the photo. If I find a solution, I'll post an update.
Mike 
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #777 on: Nov 04, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Bungie the handle up or mount the auger on top with bungies.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #778 on: Nov 04, 2013, 11:52 PM »
Its about that time and many are thinking of makeing a sled.
I posted photos of mine early in this thread and I don't see them anywhere so I posted them again.

My runners are made of 1" conduit pipe. I drilled holes into the front/back 2x4 so that I can pull out the runners if I need to.
The rod holders are golf club tubes. As the photo shows I drilled holes on one side of the tube so I could run my screwdriver into the tube and attach to wood. It works for me and is cheap and light as possible. On fresh snow it cuts down thru the snow and runs on the ice. Can run thru about 10" of snow, here in Indiana thats normally good enough.

My load is heavy, a 2-man shanty, vex, underwater cam, etc. so its heavy. So with skiis I found on fresh snow they fall down thru and don't cut thru the snow as good as conduit, maybe I didn't have wide enough skiis.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Iceomaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #779 on: Nov 05, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Nice job Musky8it.  If you fill up all those pole holders you shouldn't have to tie a single jig on while on the ice! 

Love all the ingenuity in the posts!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.