Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819544 times)

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #720 on: Feb 08, 2013, 01:37 PM »
So it's going to snow like a foot or so over night tonight. Going out Sunday for a contest. Is my Smitty going to be useless with my Nanook and all of my gear on top of it? Will it just sink through the snow?

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #721 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Will be better than your Nanook and gear without it!!
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #722 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Looks like maybe I should have 2 x 12s for risers on my new Smitty instead of 2 x 6s since we got a foot of snow last night. LOL Still better than trying to drag my Kenai

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #723 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:18 PM »
You only really noticed the Corolis Effect when your Hammered.............. .....LOL

Offline Tater13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #724 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Yup, i'll be stealing this idea.  Thanks

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #725 on: Feb 09, 2013, 10:38 AM »
The angles make it look faster, so you think that your getting to your spot faster than you really are!!  But its a secret, so don't tell anyone.....
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! (Pic heavy!
« Reply #726 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:37 AM »
Well, I finally built one! I shamelessly stole ideas from many of the posts here including the Rubbermaid FastTrak mounts on the side from ASATMillerbluegill.
I got some things right, some wrong but easily correctable. The side rails work wonderfully, leaving the inside of the tub for "stuff". Usually mine and others' stuff.

My brilliant idea of placing a "blind" pronged T-nut in a hole in the side of the uprights is a bust. The Eyebolts thread easily into the nut and fasten the whole thing together very securely, but the way I mount the sled on top with Cam lock straps make securing it unnecessary. I will move the eyebolts to the side of the uprights and place a second carriage bolt as a pin to prevent scissoring of the joint. The holes for these pins were all drilled using a drilling block keeping the spacing exactly the same front or back left or right. This makes the cross members fit no matter where they're placed.
It pulls very well considering the load I carry. The rope is 25 feet of soft polypropylene and I can place it behind the neck and around the shoulders like a harness.
It has a very wide stable stance which makes for a 60 ft turning radius, so I pick up the front to turn it around. I up-slanted the uprights to make sure the lift instead of submarining. Probably unnecessary.
I may even paint it once I'm sure of the configuration. The painted ones I've seen here all have a "finished" look to them. Thanks to Smitty and all of the others here who have contributed their ideas to this sled.

Headon

Auger Side (Eskimo 8" Stingray 33)

RubberMaid FastTrak with Hose Holder mounted

Tent Side (Eskimo QuickFish 3)

Captive T-Nut inside the upright

Rope Attachment
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #727 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Sweet build mjmeyer.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #728 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Sweet build mjmeyer.
Thanks, it was fun.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #729 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:49 PM »
why is it called smitty again?

Check out the first page of this thread.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #730 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Nice sled mjmeyer!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

I love the paralelogram cut on the uprights... looks fast, even sitting still  ;D

Offline makintracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #731 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:41 PM »
I almost made my SmittySled this year.  I think I will have to for next year.  This year I just put two small sleds side-by-side.  Clip in front and bungee strap in back.  I think I need to put slot & pin.  All the gear just fits in the trunk of my car.

(Image removed from quote.)

wouldn't it be easier to pull in tandem(one behind the other),  should be way less drag. 

Offline coolhand_luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #732 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:10 AM »
Nice job Mjmeyer!  What did you use for a drilling block?  You have some great ideas that I will definitely be "borrowing" when I make mine!

servocam

« Reply #733 on: Feb 15, 2013, 06:23 PM »
wouldn't it be easier to pull in tandem(one behind the other),  should be way less drag.

Yes, probably and that was the original plan.  Didn't get around to doing that yet.  It pulls easy as it is.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #734 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Nice job Mjmeyer!  What did you use for a drilling block?  You have some great ideas that I will definitely be "borrowing" when I make mine!
I took a chunk of 2x4 and inch and a half and measured the same distance from each edge. Used it to drill all of the holes so the cross members could be installed in any configuration. No need to mark front or back left or right. I'm abandoning the idea of the eyebolt through the cross member and replacing it with another carriage bolt. Strapping the sled tub down eliminates the need to secure the cross members. The eyebolt will go through the face of the uprights. It will slap together much quicker.
Mike

Offline makintracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #735 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Yes, probably and that was the original plan.  Didn't get around to doing that yet.  It pulls easy as it is.

well if it works don't mess with it is my method of operundi.   happy fishin.

Offline wingnut19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #736 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:34 PM »
smitty sled is the best thing I ever did

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #737 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:03 AM »

Aren't those sleds backwards?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #738 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:52 AM »
MJMeyer, My only suggestion would be to run your pull rope through the holes in your skis & attach the ends to your 2X uprights. That really helps to keep the tips up & out of the snow.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #739 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:19 PM »
MJMeyer, My only suggestion would be to run your pull rope through the holes in your skis & attach the ends to your 2X uprights. That really helps to keep the tips up & out of the snow.
Thanks, I'll try that!

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #740 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:34 PM »
I ran the rope through the bottom of the ski and put the knot on the top side to get lift. I did not use any quick links. I also have a pretty good length off pull rope that is tied with knots that are easy to untie in case a need a rescue rope

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #741 on: Feb 23, 2013, 11:27 PM »
ok guys im curious how the smitty sleds are working with any type of flipover style sled i have a kenai and when its fully loaded with any snow it can be  a real bear to drag anyplace or is there a better suggestion that might help making pulling it easier?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #742 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:09 AM »
ok guys im curious how the smitty sleds are working with any type of flipover style sled i have a kenai and when its fully loaded with any snow it can be  a real bear to drag anyplace or is there a better suggestion that might help making pulling it easier?

Are you saying it is still hard to pull using a Smitty sled or just as it is? With a Smitty sled it should be a lot easier.
<===Lefty===

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #743 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:06 AM »

It will definitely help your cause.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #744 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Are you saying it is still hard to pull using a Smitty sled or just as it is? With a Smitty sled it should be a lot easier.

yes wondering if it will help my cause i built something similar maybe 8 years ago all out of plywood and that was a bear to drag if i remember correctly because when i got in the snow drifts it would begin to plow and fall into the snow

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #745 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:02 PM »

I would bet you a beer at the bar that if you put your fully loaded portable on my smitty sled that my 10 year old son could pull out on the lake for you!  I put my 1980's babe winkleman eskimo suitcase on it and a 20 lb lp cylinder, camera, 2 buckets of poles/tip ups, auger, minnow bucket, cooler with food and drinks and usually my son will drag it out for me!  it just glides so easy on those skis it's ridiculous!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #746 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:10 AM »
FYI, Just came back from upper Wisconsin and there was quite a bit of snow on the ice. I have the frabil predator and with probably 150lbs of equipment in it. If I didn't have the smitty sled I probably wouldn't have made it out where I needed to be. I walked a heck of a ways and the sled pulled great. Now if you stop, it takes a little tug to get it going but it goes great. I may try waxing my skis too. I would say that may help.
Gator Nation

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #747 on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:28 AM »
FYI, Just came back from upper Wisconsin and there was quite a bit of snow on the ice. I have the frabil predator and with probably 150lbs of equipment in it. If I didn't have the smitty sled I probably wouldn't have made it out where I needed to be. I walked a heck of a ways and the sled pulled great. Now if you stop, it takes a little tug to get it going but it goes great. I may try waxing my skis too. I would say that may help.

I had trouble with the dark blue skis on my smitty heating up in the sun and getting ice froze to the bottom when they cooled off. I reverted to my old practice from 60 years ago when using old maple skis and toe strap bindings.. I turned the skis up side down and got my propane torch out a long with a bar of paraffin. I heated the paraffin up and rubbed it one the skis, then took the torch to even it out.
Wow did that help. I lost hold of the rope last night coming up over a drifted in sea wall and the sled went back wards 20 yards.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #748 on: Feb 25, 2013, 11:16 AM »
awesome guys thanks for the input think one might be order then guess a project for the weekend or this summer

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #749 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:41 PM »
I rub on snowboard wax, then even out with heat gun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.