Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 822299 times)

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #690 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Nice and clean Dizzy, I like!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #691 on: Jan 28, 2013, 01:35 PM »

Very nice looking set up. I see you don't mess around when it comes to lounging around. I have never see anyone with a lounge chair in their set up. Better to take a nap when things are slow huh?

Exactly... sometimes comfort trumps functionality!  ;D

Very nice!! For a $15 investment you are going to have many years of fun!  :thumbsup: Great job!!  :clap:

Thanks. And yeah, about that $15... the ski's alone cost me $10... I stopped tallying after that!  :P

Offline golffanman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #692 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Picked up a set of X country skis from Goodwill today.......$8.99. Dragging my flat bottom sled is killing me. Some of the lakes I fish require a long walk to get to the fish. I did lengthen the rope and that did help a lot. But tomorrow I'll be building a Smitty sled......ditching the old flat bottom and I bought a heavy duty tool box with a hinged lid. Time to get organized and get fishing..........more to come.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #693 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:49 AM »

Picked up a set of X country skis from Goodwill today.......$8.99. Dragging my flat bottom sled is killing me. Some of the lakes I fish require a long walk to get to the fish. I did lengthen the rope and that did help a lot. But tomorrow I'll be building a Smitty sled......ditching the old flat bottom and I bought a heavy duty tool box with a hinged lid. Time to get organized and get fishing..........more to come.

I hear that! I was amazed at how easy the ski-mounted sled glides across the slush and snow. Welcome change from that snow plow (aka Jet Sled) that I was pulling around.  ;)

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #694 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:04 AM »
ok here is the finished sled, had to move the front bar a little back.
have to undo 4 screws to take it apart

(Image removed from quote.)

Can improve by replacing screws with quick release pins. Drill thru fitting to accept the pin. Easy in, easy out, no need for a screwdriver.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #695 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:53 PM »
little update... had it out twice, held like a champ when fully loaded.
i was even sitting on the bucket that was in the sled and i didn't break the elbows or bent the pipes.

fishinnut... i was thinking exact same think after 2nd day on the ice, it only takes few turns with mini screwdriver but pins are much easier. already bought them and will be ready for the next trip.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #696 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Finally made one, I had some left over wood from the deck so I cut down the 4x4s and used 2x6s on the cross beams. Now I need to figure out how I want to attach the wheels. I really don't want to have to take them off and on. Thought about a hinge system. Just haven't had a real good idea yet.
Gator Nation

Offline golffanman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #697 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:52 AM »
Ok, I've put in some garage time and got a sled built............well, do you ever have it completely done? The first picture is my old fishing sled. The rods/reels aren't in there, but you get the picture. Throw everything in and hope for the best. This little sled would have me huffing and puffing across the ice I tell ya. And when its snowing or raining the thing would fill up with water.......everything would be wet.......and then freeze........well, you get the picture.

Now, thanks to Smitty, I have a sled beginning to take shape. I used 2x6's on the skis and 2x4's for cross braces. I'll use the Xcountry skis for now, but plan on finding downhill skis to replace them. I hope this rig isn't too heavy. I haven't really had a chance to get out since the warm up.

The box I used is a Contico Xtreme toolbox. It has a hinged lid that I can sit on and will keep my stuff drier. Mounted my Nils on one side, buckets on the back and pole holders across the front. I'm working on a really nice way to store my rod/reels on the back side of the lid. I'll post that soon. We got some snow last night, so I'll take her out for a test drive today.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #698 on: Jan 31, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Smitty was a genius. :tipup:

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #699 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:20 PM »
why is it called smitty again?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #700 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:43 PM »
why is it called smitty again?

Just go to the first post.
<===Lefty===

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #701 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:03 PM »
oh i saw the first post, i see it was created in 2009, but what made me ask this question is another post that i came along which goes to 2004

Here is one I built this year. I love it!..It's a little heavy to load in the truck, but I can still do it by myself. I can also carry ALL my gear without stuff falling out, and it pulls like a breeze.

not trying to be smarta$$, but am i missing something?

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #702 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:28 PM »
36 pages later I'm ready to start mine. Thanks to all who have shared so much info!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #703 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:14 PM »
oh i saw the first post, i see it was created in 2009, but what made me ask this question is another post that i came along which goes to 2004

not trying to be smarta$$, but am i missing something?

The "original" Smitty sled breaks down, easy to transport.  Many have used skis before, (I build my home made "portable" on ski's several years ago.) but the Smitty sled is ideal for most of us.  cheap, lightweight, compact, and glides across the snow / ice even when fully loaded.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #704 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:01 AM »
I never called it the "Smitty Sled" from the start, but........the reason I made it and posted it here was...........affordable to build, easy to build, and compact enough to fit in a car, people have coined the phrase which I am very flattered by, and the , well, 35+ pages of threads speaks for itself. I just wanted the guys that are on a budget to know, that they can have a sled too that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to build.

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #705 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for instructions, you made everyones ice fishing much easier...was just wondering where the name came from, thats all..

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #706 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Smitty is a bonafide living legend.....on Ice Shanty anyway!!! lol
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #707 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:19 AM »
Is there a reason why people cut an angle on the base?

How long do most people make there base?

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #708 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:28 PM »

1) Is there a reason why people cut an angle on the base?

2) How long do most people make there base?

1) Looks cool? I don't know  :roflmao:

2) Just as an example, I used 2x8's for the base and I think they're 16" on the bottom with a 45° angle cut starting 1" up from the bottom. The result up top may have been 10½" or so. It was really a look/feel thing for me... no hard rules here.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #709 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Smitty was a genius. :tipup:

Smitty IS a genius!!
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #710 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:41 PM »
I think the next step is to get smitty on mt. rushmore.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #711 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Smitty is a bonafide living legend.....on Ice Shanty anyway!!! lol

I am on Colorado Boards and Smitty is a legend there also. I send anyone that wants to learn to this site.
<===Lefty===

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #712 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Is there a reason why people cut an angle on the base?

How long do most people make there base?

The angled base pieces are so it cuts through snow rather than pushes.  Make your base to suit your needs.  Make it so the width and length suit your needs.   I went a couple inches narrower on width so it turns easier and the length suits the lodge style shanty I use.. Just run with it.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

servocam

« Reply #713 on: Feb 03, 2013, 10:33 PM »
I almost made my SmittySled this year.  I think I will have to for next year.  This year I just put two small sleds side-by-side.  Clip in front and bungee strap in back.  I think I need to put slot & pin.  All the gear just fits in the trunk of my car.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #714 on: Feb 03, 2013, 11:53 PM »
The angled base pieces are so it cuts through snow rather than pushes.  Make your base to suit your needs.  Make it so the width and length suit your needs.   I went a couple inches narrower on width so it turns easier and the length suits the lodge style shanty I use.. Just run with it.

How do the angled bases cut thru the snow? The snow is flattened by the ski before it makes contact with the angled base.
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #715 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:32 AM »
How do the angled bases cut thru the snow? The snow is flattened by the ski before it makes contact with the angled base.
I think it is more of a JUST IN CASE deal with the angles. Or it could be for the young bucks that run across the ice to get to their spots. They don't want any wind dragging them down.

This  | Blocks snow.
This \  Doesn't.
<===Lefty===

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #716 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Not when you factor the Coriolis effect
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #717 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Not when you factor the Coriolis effect

Au contraire !      :nono:

The axis is linear.      :roflmao:

servocam

« Reply #718 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:04 PM »
After 36 pages...there has to be a Mechanical Engineer or Drafter here that could work up blue-prints/assembly instructions with a BOM and post on Google Drive for everyone? 

Or just read the past 36 pages (or first 4 or 5) :-)

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #719 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Au contraire !      :nono:

The axis is linear.      :roflmao:
:thumbsup: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.