Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 821024 times)

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #540 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Thanks Matt, Smitty and all the others! I got my skis Saturday and will be building my own Smitty Sled, although it may need wheels, too.
Great ideas and designs here. I'll post my pictures when I have it together. It may never be truly finished after looking at all the modifications.
Mike
LOL I have so many ideas in my head, But smittys is the main design I like you want wheels for going across the parking lot. I just want to find a set of pneumatic probably 8" and I am too cheep to go by brand new ones. I think I will check out harbor freight soon. They have cheaper stuff there.
Gator Nation

Offline Homemade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #541 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Lots of great info on this thread. I particularly like seeing non-DIY types attempt and successfully complete a project they never would have but for the love of this "sport". You can do it. Smitty and others have given you the recipe, now go out and bake that cake! And post your results.
Basic practical tip: You can greatly increase the strength of wood joints by using a good glue. Wherever you screw -glue and screw. Wherever you nail -glue and nail.  Upright to ski -glue it then screw it.
Which glue should you use? I and every tradesman I've spoken to swears by PL Premium. It's a urethane adhesive, meaning it's weatherproof and VERY strong. Oh yeah, it's also widely available (Home Depot) and very inexpensive (<$5 a large tube). Hope this basic tip helps someone in someway. 
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/12/34/pl_ca_prem_adv/overview/Loctite-PL-Premium-ADVANCED-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm

Unleash the inner handyperson.

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #542 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Got some pics of my "Smitty" sled this weekend. Mine isn't made for quick assembly as once I put it together in Dec I have a place to store it put together until spring. Then I take it apart & store it for the summer. The red gear box, my son & I made 15yrs ago. For me this setup works great, the only problem being this winter, the ice was never fit the few times I had a chance to go. On a nice sunny day I will just use the red box. If the weather turns cold & windy, then I take the whole thing & hide in the Shappell.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #543 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Got some pics of my "Smitty" sled this weekend. Mine isn't made for quick assembly as once I put it together in Dec I have a place to store it put together until spring. Then I take it apart & store it for the summer. The red gear box, my son & I made 15yrs ago. For me this setup works great, the only problem being this winter, the ice was never fit the few times I had a chance to go. On a nice sunny day I will just use the red box. If the weather turns cold & windy, then I take the whole thing & hide in the Shappell.

(Image removed from quote.)

Redrover, that is very nice, thanks for sharing and hope it helps you alot(I know it will).
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #544 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Hey Smitty.... My sled was highly admired by 2 young boys so much that I let them use it to pull each other around for a while today. They were out fishing with their grandfather and got bored of catching only "small ones" as they put it..lol. Next weekend his grandkids agreed to help grandpa make a sled like mine. So not only is your sled design benefiting other fisherman, it will be helping 2 young boys bond with their grandpa while making their own sled. I even told the grandpa where I live if he needs a set of skis for the project.

Matt

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #545 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:30 AM »
That's a great story Matt, I appreciate the generosity you showed, 2 thumbs up. Thanks.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #546 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:58 PM »

A Smitty Sled ON a Smitty Sled?!

MADNESS!!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #547 on: Feb 06, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I made a smitty sled for my smitty sled

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #548 on: Feb 06, 2012, 02:19 PM »
  I guess I made this awhile ago but only used it once. I had a Frabill shelter that folds up and It was a pita, so sold it. Been in the shed since then. Might need it if we ever get some big snow. Will do some updates if taking out.

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #549 on: Feb 06, 2012, 05:00 PM »
don't laugh until you try it!

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #550 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:47 PM »
don't laugh until you try it!

I'm not laughing at all, redrover.  I think Smitty's sled is absolutely brilliant - I watched Inception again last week, so the thought hit me when I saw the sled on a sled.  Made me chuckle is all.   ;D

I've got plans for another one, possibly over summer.  Gotta figure out the new design.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #551 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Kind of like a mothership
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #552 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:10 PM »
I'm thinking one of those box fans, a D.C. Converter and a lot of duct tape!!!!  :o
Gator Nation

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #553 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:58 AM »
I can't believe I just read ALL 28 pages of this thread.......but i'm glad that i did.  I have a Clam Expedition (with floor).  I dragged the floor once and only once......what a pain, not portable at all.  I've been taking the shelter (without the floor) in a Jet Sled with all the other gear, but now I may have a reason to take the floor.  Maybe.  The floor is bulky, but it is nice to be off the ice when you're going to be out there all day.

Smitty, thank you for the idea AND for staying with the thread and responding (for 3 years).

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #554 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:58 PM »
I should have used crappier skis....mine runs me over its so fast..lol

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #555 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Well,I did'nt want to be the only kid in the neighborhood to not have a SMITTY SLED.Got bored so I built one(like I need another sled),this is what I ended up with.No animals or humans were injured in the making of this sled....thanks Smitty...

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #556 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:58 PM »
I got a plan for "My" Smitty... I have a Cabelas 5600 and made the basic wooden frame, now the only thing I don't like about this set up ya got to strap everything on top. So ... the plan - with the tax return ...  @) I'm gonna get me one of these.

http://frabill.com/trekker-shuttle.html

mount the skies underneath.

I'm gonna love the fact that I can pack everything except the auger in it. Just can't stand it, when I got to unload it from the truck, strap everything down, then unpack everything on the ice, then set the shelter up and move in.

I'll take some pics when I get everything.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #557 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Well,I did'nt want to be the only kid in the neighborhood to not have a SMITTY SLED.Got bored so I built one(like I need another sled),this is what I ended up with.No animals or humans were injured in the making of this sled....thanks Smitty...

Very nice job skull, you can never have too many "Smitty Sleds".

Offline black hills tj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #558 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Lots of nice sleds in here, just one question though, and it honestly probably isn't much of a big deal at all.  Whether you are using 2x6, 2x8, etc...most people are cutting them at a slant(less aerodynamic drag, right? :P).  However, most of them have the slant angling towards the rear of the sled and up.  I would think if you got into a little deeper snow, and the skis did not hold the sled up above all of the snow, then angling them like this would push the sled down into the snow.  If you angle them the other way, depending on the snow and other variables regarding the conditions at the time, it would push the sled up.  I know, I know....totally overthinking it.  Just trying to be scientific about it :P

Offline skidly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got Fish ?
« Reply #559 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I tapered mine like that because more surface to join uppers to on ski the cross piece on top is narrower, besides .... makes them look fast !  lol
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he sits and drinks beer all day."

Offline brypauld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #560 on: Feb 14, 2012, 03:40 PM »
So my youngest daughter age 10.... Her school/classes had a homemade sled building contest and today was the day of sledding....Needless to say, this morning I packed her and her "smitty sled" up in the jeep and took her to school..... Well, I just picked her up and she was very happy to show me her gold medal that she won for having the best homemade sled.... Out of 80 kids she said she won because she was the fastest and went the farthest  ;D .. I had no doubt  @)
Thanks again Smitty

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #561 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:35 PM »
that s cool brypauld like all us who have built them already knew a gold winning idea
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline couragedog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • man vs cold and I'm fishin
« Reply #562 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:41 PM »
THAT ROCKS!!!gonna build one !
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.'
- Robert  Heinlein

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #563 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Lots of nice sleds in here, just one question though, and it honestly probably isn't much of a big deal at all.  Whether you are using 2x6, 2x8, etc...most people are cutting them at a slant(less aerodynamic drag, right? :P).  However, most of them have the slant angling towards the rear of the sled and up.  I would think if you got into a little deeper snow, and the skis did not hold the sled up above all of the snow, then angling them like this would push the sled down into the snow.  If you angle them the other way, depending on the snow and other variables regarding the conditions at the time, it would push the sled up.  I know, I know....totally overthinking it.  Just trying to be scientific about it :P
Sounds absolutely correct! I need to make mine slant this way. Just like the upturned ends of the ski. Create lift instead of submarining.
Thanks!
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #564 on: Feb 15, 2012, 10:44 AM »
So my youngest daughter age 10.... Her school/classes had a homemade sled building contest and today was the day of sledding....Needless to say, this morning I packed her and her "smitty sled" up in the jeep and took her to school..... Well, I just picked her up and she was very happy to show me her gold medal that she won for having the best homemade sled.... Out of 80 kids she said she won because she was the fastest and went the farthest  ;D .. I had no doubt  @)
Thanks again Smitty
I love it! Glad she was king of the sleds!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #565 on: Feb 15, 2012, 03:20 PM »

Thanks again Smitty
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #566 on: Feb 18, 2012, 05:07 PM »
THAT ROCKS!!!gonna build one !
Cant wait to see it.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #567 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:56 AM »
Gotta thank you again Smitty, the sled is awesome.  Put 5.5 miles on it yesterday according to the GPS, all on foot.  Had one small mishap crossing a 2' gap (ski tip got caught, but I build it with short skis so it's my fault, not the design), but after "fishing" out the items that went for a swim, I was on my way again.  Honestly don't think I could have ever attempted that with a normal sled - for those of us without a four wheeler (yet!  Please, please, please Santa if you're watching!!)  these thing are a Godsend.

Offline newincudahy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Failure to prepare is prepairing to fail.
« Reply #568 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:42 PM »
I have enjoyed reading this thread for a long time now. Great ideas and variations! Indeed Smitty cool deal! I thought of this thread when I saw this pic and had to share it.
Fish Now! Cuz you'll be dead a long time.

Offline Duckiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. T
« Reply #569 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:54 PM »
I have enjoyed reading this thread for a long time now. Great ideas and variations! Indeed Smitty cool deal! I thought of this thread when I saw this pic and had to share it.
what is the dirt bike lookiung thing behind ur sled
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.  Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.