Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 822187 times)

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #480 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Made mine on Sunday.   I figured since I do everything out of my Small Team Wild sled anyway, including the sled as a bench most of the time, I just attached the Smittysled directly to the bottom of the wild. 

Thing pulls like a dream, and with 2x8"s holding it up, it's got enough height for my milk crate seat, keeps me out of the slop, and STILL fits in my 2 man popup.  Can't beat that with a stick - I think I may need to move my Glide-lite along if I keep using this one like I am.
well lets see it!!!!!! ::)
Gator Nation

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #481 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Wife's got a digital camera, I think I've got a photobucket account from years back - I should be able to figure this stuff out I think.  Hope Windows 7 isn't a pain with the camera...

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #482 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:49 PM »
i made 2 tonight one for me and one for my brother and they have 25 feet or rope on them i got 50 feet and didnt wanna cut it and waste it..
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #483 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Got all the parts except the Skis..still looking for em..Dam great idea Smitty
Jig em up!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #484 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:45 PM »
I wonder how water skis would be ???
Gator Nation

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #485 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 PM »
That's what I have on mine work fine on ice or 2' snow

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #486 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:59 AM »
I used my skis as a ramp today to easily unload/load my Clam Scout TC. Another bonus for these setups Smitty!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #487 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:06 AM »
ASATMillerbluegill, that is one great tip, thanks. Never thought to use my Smitty like that.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #488 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:07 AM »
The way the weather has been this year, water skis are probably the best idea
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mojofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #489 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Thrift shops after christmas are a great time to fing cheap skiis
It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #490 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:37 AM »
I used my skis as a ramp today to easily unload/load my Clam Scout TC. Another bonus for these setups Smitty!

(Image removed from quote.)
Way to think outside the box, great tip!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline gluv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #491 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Way to recycle old unwanted items into something useful!

Offline crappiman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #492 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Wow.... Tomar will be 3 years of posting on the Smitty sled!!  Congrats Smitty and Happy Anniversary on a great DIY.... This is my first time on this post.. I was sent here from a shanty member after my first outing this sat with my shappell s3000.. We just got 6 inches of snow and started out on my local lake..... I've only made it 10 feet on the lake and left my shanty there with a for sale sign on it. >:( It plowed snow better then my 4 Wheeler... After looking at your design and other members builds/ comments..... My shappell is no longer for sale.. ;D   I've haven't started my build yet.. because I'm searching for skis. today I found 3 sets at a local flea market but they were pricey and I think to short. My only question for you smitty and it might have been posted before is what length are your skis tip to end with the 6 inches cut off.. the shappell is 4 feet long and on your original design the skis look like they protrude out about 2 feet? I'd like to build your original design senice it worked well for you. also hows the shapell shanty holding up.... Thanks again.... ;D
Well, got my skis today, For free :o I placed a add on craigs list and a loccal sporting goods store called and gave me a set.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #493 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Smitty an old post but a good post I made a smitty sled this year with some slight modifications and it works great. Thanks for the idea and keepem coming :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #494 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:15 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Just a note on attaching the rope...I drilled a hole, same as in this pic, BUT rather than tying it off at the tip of the ski, I ran the rope through the hole in the ski and tied if off at the 2x6.  This allows the ski to turn/track a bit better with still getting the lift.  When I get around to it I'll take a pic.  Things are just loaded in the truck.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #496 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Well, got my skis today, For free :o I placed a add on craigs list and a loccal sporting goods store called and gave me a set.
Free is always good! Let's see your sled when you are done.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #497 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Like I say, "If it's free, it's for me!"

Offline brypauld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #498 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:02 PM »
I built mine monday night and took it out tuesday morning....I am just amazed at how easy it was to pull the frabill ranger twin xlt LOADED with gear...holy moly, went from almost heart attack pulling plow to easy breeeezy glide... A big thank you Smitty ;)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #499 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:05 PM »
I built mine monday night and took it out tuesday morning....I am just amazed at how easy it was to pull the frabill ranger twin xlt LOADED with gear...holy moly, went from almost heart attack pulling plow to easy breeeezy glide... A big thank you Smitty ;)
You are very welcome. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #500 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:57 AM »
as long as i'm here...i'll thank you too smitty.  and if my kids were up...they would be thanking you too.  after i built the first one for ice fishing and used it, i went back to goodwill and paid 3 bucks for 2 more sets of skis and built sleds for the kids to use on the hill behind our house.  i have now seen 6 kids wait in line at the top of the hill for those two sleds because "they are the fastest and the best ever"!!  thanks smitty  you are a genius!

matt

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #501 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:53 AM »
as long as i'm here...i'll thank you too smitty.  and if my kids were up...they would be thanking you too.  after i built the first one for ice fishing and used it, i went back to goodwill and paid 3 bucks for 2 more sets of skis and built sleds for the kids to use on the hill behind our house.  i have now seen 6 kids wait in line at the top of the hill for those two sleds because "they are the fastest and the best ever"!!  thanks smitty  you are a genius!

matt
I won't be responsible for any broken bones from your kids on the hill......Will I ?..LOL, I'm glad they are enjoying them too.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #502 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:15 AM »
Ha ha, put wheels on them and you can use them during winters of no snow and the summer!

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #503 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:42 AM »
I won't be responsible for any broken bones from your kids on the hill......Will I ?..LOL, I'm glad they are enjoying them too.

nope...i'm sure that if anything happens i'll be the one getting the "look" from the wife!!  they are fast...and fun....lets just say that the more weight you put on them the faster they go down the hill...and i go about 350.......wwwwweeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #504 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:05 AM »
 ;D
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #505 on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:05 AM »
Well I finally made my Smitty sled today. Same basic design as the original, except I used 2x6's on the skis. Also where the tow rope would get attached, I drilled the holes big enough to put a caribeaner hook on the tip of each ski. My tow rope has a loop on each end and when ready to move it, I just slip the rope on the hooks and ready to go. Only so-called problem I had was I drilled the holes for the carriage bolts a bit too small for them to come out even with a claw hammer without wondering if I am going to break the 2x4's...lol. Not really a problem though since I use a truck to head out ice fishing, it just wont come apart anytime soon.

I salvaged the hooks from some old keychains I had laying around. Lumber was free also. Skis were given to me from one of my uncles, and he gave me 3 pairs total. Rope I had from my retired wooden ski sled. Misc screws and carriage bolts were also laying in the shop. So total cost was basically free, just my labor to build them.

I did see an unused tarp in the shop.... wonder if I could make the Smitty sled into a wind powered ice fishing Smitty sled...lol.

Matt

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #506 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:41 AM »
so yesterday while it was raining I had a thought I decided to take apart my plywood base Smitty

and this small pop n fish salvation army 20 bones

the box

pop n fish in place

door on

inside bench storage

folded up

HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline skidly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got Fish ?
« Reply #507 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:59 AM »
now your talkin justfine !  I like it
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he sits and drinks beer all day."

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #508 on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I've been silently following this thread for a long time. I had made a sled very simular to these years ago & it works great. But now justfine I think has come up with a wonderful mod to this whole thing that might take me back out to the wood shop! This whole site is just full of great ideas.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #509 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:56 PM »
I've been silently following this thread for a long time. I had made a sled very simular to these years ago & it works great. But now justfine I think has come up with a wonderful mod to this whole thing that might take me back out to the wood shop! This whole site is just full of great ideas.
What you not going to tell us?  LOL  I finally got my skis off craigslist I would like some feedback on what I would like to do on my sled. I kind of would like to build mine low to the ground. I have the frabill predator, and it is about 160#s and it has it's own sled. But I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea or not. Do you think two inch blocks would be too short for snow? I will be pulling with a four wheeler anyways.
Gator Nation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.