Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 821264 times)

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #420 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:31 PM »
lol....Bill it is!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #421 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:03 PM »
love the side brackets! did you reinforce the inside walls or did you use the anchors? Does she come with the brackets?
hey, Don, just a suggestion. do the pretty little lady a favor and drill a hole in the tips of the skiis and lengthen the rope to an 8 foot lead. if you are pulling this thru the snow, pulling the tips lifts the tips and the longer lead makes a world of difference in the drag.

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #422 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Do to poular demand these sleds now cost $150.00.lol ;D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #423 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Thanks for the rope hookup and length info! I attached the Rubbermaid Fast Track with short bolts, flat washers, and lock washers; that fit the diameter of the holes that are pre-installed with the Fast Track. In my pics, You see a black sliding cover, that covers the bracket and screws, for a clean look. You have to buy each bracket separately, and they have several styles of configurations to choose from. I throw the four brackets in a bucket for transporting to the lakes, and then just place them on the tracks once there. I knew I didn't want hooks or brackets permanently mounted on the sled, as sometimes I pack a buddy's sled in my truck, and brackets on each side during transport would take up too much truck bed space.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #424 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:34 PM »
did you reinforce the inside walls or did you use the anchors?
No reinforcement, I just drilled and mounted

Offline alhersch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #425 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Finally got around to making my Smitty sled as well this weekend. Been wanting to make one for at least a year now since I found this thread.

The Sheet metal in the back is made to hold 3 buckets if needed, generally in the past i've only needed 3 buckets but figured if I have something this nice I might have to use 3 buckets...

Al

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #426 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:48 AM »
Great job Al!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #427 on: Jan 08, 2012, 07:55 AM »
Nice lookin custom sleds here!! :tipup:

if i had time would love to build one. I got a Otter Pro which will have to do for now.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #428 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Nice lookin custom sleds here!! :tipup:

if i had time would love to build one. I got a Otter Pro which will have to do for now.

They actually take very little time to make..  A few hours is all thats needed...

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #429 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:04 PM »
With downhill skiis having metal edges on them, what do you do to keep them from rusting? Do you polish and then put wax on them?
jbird68

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #430 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:46 PM »
With downhill skiis having metal edges on them, what do you do to keep them from rusting? Do you polish and then put wax on them?
You don't have to worry about it, at least I don't. I,m going on my 3rd season, and no problems yet.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #431 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Anyone have any pics of a tow bar on a smitty? Looking for some ideas.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #432 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:50 PM »
not being a smart azz, but smitty sleds were designed for hand pulling, so what do you have in mind? just curious.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #433 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:29 AM »
Anyone have any pics of a tow bar on a smitty? Looking for some ideas.
The original smitty sled is just for hand pulling since nothing is bolted together, however, with mods, anything is possible.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #434 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:08 AM »
I was looking at the tow bar for my medium Otter sled and it looks like it would hook up with just a couple bolts with nuts or even a couple hitch pins.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Maggotmuncher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #435 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:18 AM »
My uncle used a wagon.  Took off the wheels and built a u bracket onto a pair of ski's used the original axles still, with a quick pin to hold the axles in.  Pulled the handle off, and made a new pin, that is long enough for a quick pin too.  Still works for a wagon all summer.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #436 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:27 AM »
My uncle used a wagon.  Took off the wheels and built a u bracket onto a pair of ski's used the original axles still, with a quick pin to hold the axles in.  Pulled the handle off, and made a new pin, that is long enough for a quick pin too.  Still works for a wagon all summer.
I like the idea, thanks for sharing.

Offline 600RevX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #437 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Just finished last weekend- towbar for the sled, long rope for early ice- dragged it all over my yard loaded with gear and 10" of snow  ;D

only hardware for securing the shelf, tub and crate

Breaks down like a charm, fits perfect in the truck

Really, the end result we are all looking for....spicy lime beer battered perch  ;)
Why work when you can fish?<br />

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #438 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Whats that white stuff on the ground around the sled?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #439 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Just finished last weekend- towbar for the sled, long rope for early ice- dragged it all over my yard loaded with gear and 10" of snow  ;D
(Image removed from quote.)
only hardware for securing the shelf, tub and crate
Breaks down like a charm, fits perfect in the truck
Really, the end result we are all looking for....spicy lime beer battered perch  ;)
Looks great 600! Hope ya get to use it soon! I'm still waiting too. Thanks for sharing.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #440 on: Jan 15, 2012, 02:28 PM »
Thanks for the rope hookup and length info! I attached the Rubbermaid Fast Track with short bolts, flat washers, and lock washers; that fit the diameter of the holes that are pre-installed with the Fast Track. In my pics, You see a black sliding cover, that covers the bracket and screws, for a clean look. You have to buy each bracket separately, and they have several styles of configurations to choose from. I throw the four brackets in a bucket for transporting to the lakes, and then just place them on the tracks once there. I knew I didn't want hooks or brackets permanently mounted on the sled, as sometimes I pack a buddy's sled in my truck, and brackets on each side during transport would take up too much truck bed space.

ASAT;  My vote goes top you for the best "mod" I've ever seen to a Jet Sled !!!   I'm getting me some of that IMMEDIATELY !!!  I modified my Jet Sled before the Smitty Sled idea came out by installing 4 1-1/4" pipes in each corner of the sled and then made up a "U" shaped skid  out of 1" EMT for each side.  The sled rides about 12" off the ice and glides thru snow like nothing.  Like you, I carry WAY TOO MUCH crap in my sled and the idea of getting my gas augeR and shelter out of the sled is PRICELESS !!!  Thanks for the Best Tip Ever !!!!!!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #441 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Anyone put plywood across the top of their Smitty Sled for days when you don't want to take out you shanty? With this warmer weather I thought I could mount brackets to the plywood so I could carry my bucket, tackle and auger and be very light weight.
jbird68

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #442 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Anyone put plywood across the top of their Smitty Sled for days when you don't want to take out you shanty? With this warmer weather I thought I could mount brackets to the plywood so I could carry my bucket, tackle and auger and be very light weight.
Jbird, sure you could, anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #443 on: Jan 15, 2012, 04:52 PM »
yep
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline CB22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Jan 15, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Put too much weight on my Smitty Sled and hit a rut at the boat launch down to ice and broke it today.  :'(

Back to the drawing board, next one will be sturdier as I am carrying more gear now. 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #445 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:32 PM »
Due to the lack of ice this year, my sled has found an alternate use:

k b
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #446 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:17 PM »

I made mine that way. I made min with a permanent frame and 7/16 OSB on top. My suitcase house fits in the back and in front I have a box that holds the tackle box, fishing rods, 2- 5 gallon buckets with padded lid covers etc.

On days like today I either leave the house on the sled or leave it at home. The sled is the perfect size to sit on the 5 gallon buckets while still on the sled. The way I did it I can't break it down like some guys are doing but for what I do it is perfect.

Offline chevy343

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #447 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Added a Hand Auger Rack to the rear of the Smitty Sled....

Offline khuy123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #448 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Very nice... Alot better than what's available nowadays unless your willing to shell out $100+

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #449 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Built mine last week....Tried it this weekend....Pulls so easy it should be illegal!

I will post pics as soon as I can.

Phil

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.