Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 820774 times)

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #360 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Great Idea THX Smitty. Im debating on how high to build this thing. Im gonna stick close to the original sled but was wondering if there is an advantage to using 2x8 over 2x4 due to snow= more clearance.  Or IS it enough to just get the "tub styles" off of the ice? Got alot of snow last year/

Offline Homemade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #361 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:49 PM »
In deep snow it's not enough to just get the tub above the ice you want it above the snow to prevent it from plowing. The skis will ride above the ice on the snow but will sink some. How high should you go on the risers? Well it depends on the weight of your load and the surface area of your skis. For my sled I used 2 x 6 risers and Its never plowed even in the deepest snow. My skis are cut down short but I get away with it because I tend to pack light. Others who pack heavy might chime in on needing the extra height of 2 x 8s but 2 x 6s work for me

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #362 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:15 PM »
made a smitty today with what i had laying around in the garage and added some hindges to the crossbraces, still need to get the tow rope and some eye bolts. also gonna see how it works with the 2x4's may upgrade to 2x6's when the snow comes. -olc

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #363 on: Dec 08, 2011, 12:46 PM »

After first seeing one of these late last season I built one in late March.  Still waiting to use it. The skis are 185cm.  I picked them up at a Volunteers of America thrift store for $2.50.  Then I had to shell out six bucks to buy a jumbo #3 phillips head screwdriver to get the bindings off. (Hardest part of the project.)  The crossbars are 2x3 planks from a packing case being thrown out at work (free).  Unfortunately they were warpped in both directions and had a bit of helical twist as well.  Just enough to make cutting the notches to fit difficult.  When assembled, it tended to scissor a bit.  The addition of the inside angle braces really tightened things up nicely, but added a few bucks more to the cost.  The 16 foot tow rope was about $7.00 more.  The uprights are 2x8", 14" at base, 10" at top. Total cost about $25.00 for materials. Outside dimmensions: accross the uprights 30in, front to back of crossbars 30in. My tie down straps are a bit too fat for screweyes, so I used drawer pulls from Lowes (another $6.00).  The sled was sized to cary a Clam scout pro.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #364 on: Dec 08, 2011, 03:01 PM »
After first seeing one of these late last season I built one in late March.  Still waiting to use it. The skis are 185cm.  I picked them up at a Volunteers of America thrift store for $2.50.  Then I had to shell out six bucks to buy a jumbo #3 phillips head screwdriver to get the bindings off. (Hardest part of the project.)  The crossbars are 2x3 planks from a packing case being thrown out at work (free).  Unfortunately they were warpped in both directions and had a bit of helical twist as well.  Just enough to make cutting the notches to fit difficult.  When assembled, it tended to scissor a bit.  The addition of the inside angle braces really tightened things up nicely, but added a few bucks more to the cost.  The 16 foot tow rope was about $7.00 more.  The uprights are 2x8", 14" at base, 10" at top. Total cost about $25.00 for materials. Outside dimmensions: accross the uprights 30in, front to back of crossbars 30in. My tie down straps are a bit too fat for screweyes, so I used drawer pulls from Lowes (another $6.00).  The sled was sized to cary a Clam scout pro.

Looks good.. Had you used two bolts on each end of the crossbars, there wouldn't have been as much scissor action...

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #365 on: Dec 08, 2011, 03:39 PM »
It wouldn't be a season with the "Smitty Sled" thread coming back to life... whats it been...three years and running?
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline doug1460

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Here is my sled I have been using for a couple years (photo from last year). I made some updates to it incase we finally get some ice and no snow. I borrowed the wheels off the lawnmower. Don't mow in the winter anyhow.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #367 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I did something similar with wheels on mine.  Ill try to get it out and shoot some pictures this weekend.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Willhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:19 AM »
made a smitty today with what i had laying around in the garage and added some hindges to the crossbraces, still need to get the tow rope and some eye bolts. also gonna see how it works with the 2x4's may upgrade to 2x6's when the snow comes. -olc
(Image removed from quote.)

I like the hinge mod. Folds for transport.

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #369 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:52 PM »

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #370 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:30 PM »
Just a little help...

Made my "Smitty Sled" today.  Bring on the ice  already!!!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #371 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Great job guys! Can't wait to get mine out, just need some colder temps..
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #372 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:10 AM »
I made my basic smitty sled 2 years ago and it works great. Got a power auger now and I am wondering if anyone has a mod to transport it. I have a fish trap I put on it, but was thinking of a couple arms or something to carry the auger as I have no room in the tub for it.....Scott

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #373 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:27 AM »
My qf3 was going to be a pain in the a$$ when on foot with just my med. jet sled so I figured one of these would be good it will hold the heater, tank, lights, pan and food it will go in the pop up and used as a table.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #374 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:14 AM »
im looking at goodwills for cheap skis for another smitty sled with a big rubbermaid tote to put on one.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #375 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:48 PM »

I finally got my Smitty Sled done. I went with 2x8 risers and 2x4 runners. I used a wooden dowel set up so that I can choose between a 24",28" or 32" sled. I will probably use it most on the 24" setting. Thank you Smitty0312 for a Genius Idea

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #376 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:28 PM »
ok so i have a shappelle dx 4000. could someone put up a product list of what they used if they have a dx 4000. thanks. i just cant pull it anymore. im worryed about the width and fitting the skis in my blazer

Bullelk34

« Reply #377 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:29 PM »
BML- it breaks down, so you could fit it inside with no problems. You could even strap the skis on top of your blazer if space was really tight.

I took a few days off work and was cleaning the garage today and came across some old skis, so now I guess I'm on the Smitty bandwagon too! Got the lumber cut, just need some hardware now. I'll post pix when it's done of course  ;)

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #378 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:33 PM »
ok cool. il get buildin soon then

Bullelk34

« Reply #379 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Mission accoplished- thanks Smitty! Carpentry was never my strong suit, but I think I did OK. I think I spaced the brackets too far apart, see the picture with my medium otter.. No big deal though, I plan on devising 2 front-to-back supports. I'm thinking of drillling holes in the cross braces to accept 1/2 conduit, no other hardware will be needed. I made my pulling rope plenty long, and drilled out part of an elk antler for the handle.

Offline kazz22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #380 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:27 PM »
thanks for the Idea and great pics

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #381 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:50 PM »
After scoring a used Frabill Ultra lite and reading about how hard they are to pull in the snow,
I grabbed a pair of 5$ skis form the Salvation Army store yesterday and built me a smitty
The metal tubing for the frame and legs is salvaged form one of those
Costco car tents that got blown over and destroyed, very light weight.

Loaded with the house and gear, VERY easy towing  @)

Thanks for the great idea smitty!
Get bit!

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #382 on: Dec 24, 2011, 04:31 PM »
I want to make something break down style like that this year as well, lOoksstable.

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #383 on: Dec 25, 2011, 03:40 PM »
I see allot of you guys mounting your sleds on top of your smitty sleds. Do you find this method easier to pull? Also do you find them to become top heavy?

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #384 on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:45 PM »
on bare ice, not much difference, on 1-2 inches of snow the difference is
HUGE  ;D
Get bit!

Offline Mike47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #385 on: Dec 26, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Great idea!
IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/MikeGoe49/lx001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline trout-chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #386 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:53 AM »
What about using old water skis?  they are fatter and a short kids pair would be great. 
If your line is tight and your rod is bent.... "Its a good day"

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #387 on: Dec 26, 2011, 01:11 PM »
water skiis - wider surface. the more surface on the snow, the more drag. drag is what you're trying to minimize.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #388 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Here is mine.  Some of the lakes I like to get at require a little bit of a walk over some snowless trails and or parking areas, so I built some wheels into the design.

All totaled I probably invested less than $25 bucks total.

All lumber pieces and screws are left over from a deck rebuild, wheels are from Harbor Freight on sale at $4 each, skis were from the side of the road on junk day, eye loops and spring pins from a hardware store at $1.60 a piece. The larger pneumatic tires help with potholes and smooth things out to avoid spilling the bait.

I wish I could find air filled tires with a plastic hub to lighten things a bit but this thing rolls and pulls like a dream as it is. The wheels come off with one spring pin, and the whole thing collapses down. No tools needed.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #389 on: Dec 26, 2011, 07:04 PM »
wheels will work on ice as well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.