Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 820586 times)

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #300 on: Sep 23, 2011, 08:45 AM »
We made a sled for the Clam last year and a "coffin" for the rest of the gear.  Used shelving aluminum, real lightweight and doesn't rot or rust.  Milk crate for propane unscrews for travel in the truck.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #301 on: Sep 23, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Lefty the strip in the middle is a roll up sled.  The reason I put that there is in deep fluffy snow it would sink to deep and the front bar would act as a plow. (learned lesson).  The two notches are from me trying to make the supports sit higher.  if I made it again I would use taller boards, also don't cut too close to the edge the wood snaps at the ends when real cold.  I drag it across anything because I have 3 extra sets of skis.  Bought 4 pair of skis last year for 10 bucks for all.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #302 on: Sep 23, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Yea the wife looked at that and told me it was a roll up sled for kids. I think I will get me one. Good idea.
<===Lefty===

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:56 PM »
I have one of the wild outdoors sleds and was thinking of putting skis underneath it. I found a pair for 15 bucks finally, but they feel as heavy as my sled. I'm thinking that putting heavy skis under my sled and filling it with gear may defeat any advantage the skis would provide.

Does anyone else have one of these type, or the otter sled or similar with skis underneath it? Just wondering if it would pull easier with them or if it's not worth it since the front of the sled is high and angled.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #304 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:12 PM »
I'm using cross country skis to pull my 2 man clam out on the ice this year. Sure hope mine rides along as nice as yours does.
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #305 on: Nov 10, 2011, 10:40 AM »
love all these ideas. im gonna make a simmple sled for my shappele 4000. how high should i buils my sled for it dosent dig into the snow?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #306 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:33 AM »
love all these ideas. im gonna make a simmple sled for my shappele 4000. how high should i buils my sled for it dosent dig into the snow?

I used 2x6's on the uprights for mine.
<===Lefty===

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #307 on: Nov 11, 2011, 11:05 AM »
ok thats perfect. i got some rough cut lumber out back. im gonna start today ;D

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #308 on: Nov 11, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Great ideas guys.  I'm getting ready to build one of these ski platforms as well.  How are you mounting the wood to the skis themselves?  Are you using a really good epoxy or screwing them down someway?  Thanks.

Husker

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #309 on: Nov 11, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Great ideas guys.  I'm getting ready to build one of these ski platforms as well.  How are you mounting the wood to the skis themselves?  Are you using a really good epoxy or screwing them down someway?  Thanks.

Husker

I used wood screws and inset them.
<===Lefty===

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #310 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Wood screws.....countersunk . Everyone remember the long tow rope makes things alot easier. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #311 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:31 PM »
OK..............I see you are going in from the bottom.  I kept thinking about how i was going to go in from the top with a screw without ruining the smoothness of the ski on the bottom.  Thanks guys. 

HUsker95

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #312 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:44 PM »
Wood screws.....countersunk . Everyone remember the long tow rope makes things alot easier. Smitty

I bought some good new rope for mine and made it plenty long. I would guess about 8 feet.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #313 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:53 PM »
16 foot rope for an 8 foot lead
how's that for an old guy, Smitty?

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #314 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:18 AM »
16 foot rope for an 8 foot lead
how's that for an old guy, Smitty?
That will be just right, that's about what I have. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #315 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:27 AM »
That will be just right, that's about what I have. Smitty

When I said 8 foot that is what I have for a lead. So yes 16 Ft of rope. Or (FOR)
<===Lefty===

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #316 on: Nov 12, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Yes...16ft total.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #317 on: Nov 12, 2011, 10:06 PM »

THANKS to Smitty I built this last year. It works great but I need it to come apart like the original Smitty sled.It takes up to much room in my truck with a cap the way it is. A few mods to it and I should be ready to go

Offline just mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #318 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:29 AM »
I love the ingenuity of cheap fisherman. I have pop up with no floor so I modified a tobogan with folding sideboard. It haul everything then the sides fold down to become the floor. Twenty bucks total.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #319 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Got my skis. Now just need to start building. Just one question...are wood screws plenty strong enough to mount the skis to the risers? I was thinking of using deck lag screws for more strength. I've only seen a few pics of the bottom of the skis showing how they are attached. What's your experience with wood screws?
jbird68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #320 on: Nov 13, 2011, 11:38 AM »
deffinitly screw through the bottom!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #321 on: Nov 13, 2011, 01:07 PM »
jbird, imagine what happens when you have screw heads sticking out of the bottom of your boots and you are walking on the ice - non-slip cuz the screw heads are are dragging. this type of surface on the bottom of the skiis will make it impossible to drag the sledon ice and snow. wood screws, countersunk flush with the bottom of the ski's surface is the way to go. i used 3 #10 2 1/2" wood screws per upright and no problem. be sure to pre-drill the pilot holes or you'll be stripping a ton of screws before you're done. 

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #322 on: Nov 13, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Got my skis. Now just need to start building. Just one question...are wood screws plenty strong enough to mount the skis to the risers? I was thinking of using deck lag screws for more strength. I've only seen a few pics of the bottom of the skis showing how they are attached. What's your experience with wood screws?
I used just plain ol' 3" wood screws, they have held up just fine for me.

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #323 on: Nov 13, 2011, 01:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

THANKS to Smitty I built this last year. It works great but I need it to come apart like the original Smitty sled.It takes up to much room in my truck with a cap the way it is. A few mods to it and I should be ready to go

What did you use for the struts there?
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline Wounded Rabbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #324 on: Nov 13, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Great rig you got yourself there!....nothing beats the feeling of using gear that you improved yourself...whether it be a home made sled...Bob House...ect...
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
Clint Eastwood
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #325 on: Nov 13, 2011, 03:23 PM »
How do you cut the notch in the riser if you don't have a table saw? I guess I could drill pilot holes tangent to the edges and use a jig saw to cut trough the webbing between the holes. I am not good at wood working so keep that in mind.

How long do you make the risers? 8", 10", 12"?

And 2x6 or 2x4 for risers?
jbird68

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #326 on: Nov 13, 2011, 03:33 PM »
What did you use for the struts there?
smitty used 2x4. i used 2x6 for uprights and 2x4 for cross bars. bought the lumber from home depot from their scrap pile. paid $1 for the 2x6 Board and .50 for the 2x4

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #327 on: Nov 13, 2011, 03:46 PM »
12" long risers. you can use a circular saw to cut the risers. nail them together 1st 2, then 3rd and then 4th. just make sure they're even. mark your cut for the cross bars. set your depth on the blade and make your 2 cuts for the width of your 2x4. remember a 2x4 is not really 2" x 4". the dimentions are actually smaller. make several more passes. if you make them close enuf, you can just knock them out. 

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #328 on: Nov 13, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Couple of ?'s i currently pull a jet sled by hand loaded with my stuff when i go ice fishing. I don't have a ATV or snowmobile, so for those who are like me. If i built this sled and put my jet sled on top, does it make pulling my gear onto the ice easier. I also just bought a new Eskimo pop-up so my sled is getting full and I'm looking at other options B-4 to avoid buying a bigger jet sled. Also how does the sled pull if there is new snow. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #329 on: Nov 13, 2011, 04:16 PM »
How do you cut the notch in the riser if you don't have a table saw? I guess I could drill pilot holes tangent to the edges and use a jig saw to cut trough the webbing between the holes. I am not good at wood working so keep that in mind.

How long do you make the risers? 8", 10", 12"?

And 2x6 or 2x4 for risers?
I cut my knotches with a jig saw, 2x4's are enough in my opinion, have never had a problem yet, remember,  more wood = more weight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.