Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 822745 times)

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #270 on: Feb 28, 2011, 10:04 AM »
I also have conduit pipes and had problem with pulling it in slush so I put plastic runner on the pipe made big diffident on the pull

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #271 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Jiggin Jeff,

Tell me a little more about the rod holders you have pictured. They look like something I'd be interested in building.

Prairiegoat

PS: Neat sled. Nice work!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #272 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Jiggin Jeff,

Tell me a little more about the rod holders you have pictured. They look like something I'd be interested in building.

Prairiegoat

PS: Neat sled. Nice work!

I had to take all my equiptment out of the van to store, since its finally over. Pics tell more than words so I took some pics of the new one and the rod holders.

The rod holders are just plain golf club tubes, you can by them cheap at wally world, they come in black or clear. I cut them about 6", drilled 2 holes thru them on both sides so I could run my screwdriver thru the outside one and attach the the screws to the wood. Its a little hard get the screws to slide into the hole, but it not to bad. I had to put the screws inside the tube, then try to guide them into the holes with a screwdriver. I may make new runners so they are taller. Normally its high enough but we got allot of snow last year.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #273 on: Aug 17, 2011, 08:13 PM »
when you put your skis did you just screw up through the bottom of the ski into the wood and countersink the screw?

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #274 on: Aug 17, 2011, 08:56 PM »
i asked smitty the same question back in feb. he puts the screw in the center from underneath the ski and up into the wood. countersinks the screw flush to avoid drag. he explained tht on of the things that makes it easy to drag is to use a L...O...N...G rope to drag. smitty uses a 16 foot rope so that he is 8 feet in front of his sled. i went from a 4' lead to his recommended 8' lead and it makes a world of difference.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #275 on: Aug 17, 2011, 11:20 PM »
i asked smitty the same question back in feb. he puts the screw in the center from underneath the ski and up into the wood. countersinks the screw flush to avoid drag. he explained tht on of the things that makes it easy to drag is to use a L...O...N...G rope to drag. smitty uses a 16 foot rope so that he is 8 feet in front of his sled. i went from a 4' lead to his recommended 8' lead and it makes a world of difference.
Nicely said! Thanks Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline bobzitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Still Waiting on my ice!
« Reply #276 on: Aug 18, 2011, 10:42 AM »
I love the idea of both the sled and the ice pole holders, do they ever tangle up? have you had one come out when you went to a drift or anything?

Thanks,
DZ

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #277 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Nicely said! Thanks Smitty
just reiterating what you taught me. did what you said and you were right on

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #278 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:12 PM »
has anyone thought about or has discoverd from experience where the best pacement of the sled is on th skiis? Skiis have a curve in the center allowing for flexing. best to have the weight centered over the curve, forward or rearward of the curve? just wondering

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #279 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:14 PM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline ICE_MONKEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #280 on: Aug 22, 2011, 02:07 PM »
I just picked up 2 pairs of down hill skis today for making a couple of smitty's sleds for lakes that 4 wheelers are not permitted on. Can't wait for hard water!!!! Great ideas on this thread!!!!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #281 on: Aug 23, 2011, 11:15 PM »
I love the idea of both the sled and the ice pole holders, do they ever tangle up? have you had one come out when you went to a drift or anything?

Thanks,
DZ

Bob, if your question about rods tangleing is at me. No, I haven't had any tangle, I always make sure the hooks are in the rod eyes and the line is tight, if the line is not tight the hooks can come loose and get tangled.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #282 on: Aug 23, 2011, 11:23 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Great looking sled and nice addition on the handle, looks like you modeled it after mine. A little advice here if your sled carries a wide shanty or lots of stuff. I made my first one with a narrow platform like yours and had allot of trouble with things falling off, even with bungy cords. The 2nd one I made shown on page 14 is a wide platform. Its allot better and my shanty does not shift anymore. Can't wait until the ice is back on, I prefer ice over the wet stuff.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #283 on: Sep 17, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Reading this thread I think I have an improvement to the Smitty sled. Instead of using the bolts to pin the crossbars to the ski uprights why not just use 2x6's  for crossbars and make a notch to match the notch on the upright. The crossbar would stand on its side not flat. This would create a nice tight slip joint. Crossbar would hang over ends about 4 inches for strength and would make a good place to tie bungees to.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #284 on: Sep 21, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I just wanted to thank Smity for this great idea. I live in Colorado and found this site while searching for hours looking for an idea on how to put skis on my Quick Flip 2.  I got my sled built a couple of days ago,yea no ice for another 2 + months but I wanted to be ready when it gets here. Here is my sled. http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/lefty2053/?action=view&current=169.jpg

Yes it is all black.  THANKS AGIAN Smity.!
<===Lefty===

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #285 on: Sep 21, 2011, 04:11 PM »
I just wanted to thank Smity for this great idea. I live in Colorado and found this site while searching for hours looking for an idea on how to put skis on my Quick Flip 2.  I got my sled built a couple of days ago,yea no ice for another 2 + months but I wanted to be ready when it gets here. Here is my sled. http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/lefty2053/?action=view&current=169.jpg

Yes it is all black.  THANKS AGIAN Smity.!

Looks good.. will save you a lot of work...  Welcome to Ice Shanty !!!!

Offline barkman49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #286 on: Sep 21, 2011, 08:16 PM »
hi everyone I am planning on building a new sled this fall hope to have photos when done . Took ideas from some sleds here and will add my own. :-\
Del

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #287 on: Sep 21, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Curbside skis; old unused Thule roof rack and some angle aluminum to serve as mount points on the skis for the racks.

Offline ICE_MONKEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #288 on: Sep 22, 2011, 01:32 AM »
I don't have any pics but I just built 2 and can't wait to use them!!!

Offline Rockrobsta

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #289 on: Sep 22, 2011, 06:49 AM »
Nice job. Looks good!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #290 on: Sep 22, 2011, 06:55 AM »
Curbside skis; old unused Thule roof rack and some angle aluminum to serve as mount points on the skis for the racks.
(Image removed from quote.)

Stole yer idea Dog last year, same Thule rack, different skis!  TY!

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #291 on: Sep 22, 2011, 02:15 PM »
How do the skis hold up on asphalt?  Only reason I ask is because there are several places that have parking a fair distance from the lake access and the roads are not always snow covered. I would imagine that they would get pretty beat if they were to be dragged for any distance.  ???
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #292 on: Sep 22, 2011, 03:20 PM »
How do the skis hold up on asphalt?  Only reason I ask is because there are several places that have parking a fair distance from the lake access and the roads are not always snow covered. I would imagine that they would get pretty beat if they were to be dragged for any distance.  ???

That is a pretty good question I can not answer as I haven't tried mine out yet. I have such areas that there is no snow and sometimes gravel to drag across. I think I will drag the hut across that until I get to snow or ice.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #293 on: Sep 22, 2011, 08:53 PM »

Stole yer idea Dog last year, same Thule rack, different skis!  TY!

It's not stealing, Das.  It's SHARING!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #294 on: Sep 22, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I've just got to ask this.......  I made a similar setup a couple of years ago, except.. instead of making the two cross-bars, I bolted the "risers" directly to the bottom of my Jet Sled to make a "permanent" installation.  Problem I immediately noticed was that the whole assembly was unstable in a side-to-side movement, and when traversing up or down small, uneven, hills (while getting on or off the ice) the whole thing tended to oveturn.  Has this been a problem with the "Smitty Sled"????  Does it "wobble" side-to-side ???  I gave up on the idea and now use conduit pipe for runners, about 18" above the snow, and removeable for transport.  I like the way the "Smitty Ssled" looks and would like to have one.....if it does not display the above characteristics.   

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #295 on: Sep 22, 2011, 09:27 PM »
i have not had a problem as you describe. have not heard anyone else having that problem. the only possible issue is if you make it too high and the skiis are not set far enuf apart, it will become top heavy. just pure physics.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #296 on: Sep 22, 2011, 09:35 PM »
The one thing I have learned is to point the skies alittle in at the front. It stops the sled
from wandering so much and that can be a big thing going fast over the ice and snow.JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #297 on: Sep 22, 2011, 09:39 PM »
I've just got to ask this.......  I made a similar setup a couple of years ago, except.. instead of making the two cross-bars, I bolted the "risers" directly to the bottom of my Jet Sled to make a "permanent" installation.  Problem I immediately noticed was that the whole assembly was unstable in a side-to-side movement, and when traversing up or down small, uneven, hills (while getting on or off the ice) the whole thing tended to oveturn.  Has this been a problem with the "Smitty Sled"????  Does it "wobble" side-to-side ???  I gave up on the idea and now use conduit pipe for runners, about 18" above the snow, and removeable for transport.  I like the way the "Smitty Ssled" looks and would like to have one.....if it does not display the above characteristics.

Sounds like you have the ski's too close together... 
Mine works great..  Much easier to pull my gear onto the ice.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #298 on: Sep 22, 2011, 11:12 PM »
here are some pics of my sled

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #299 on: Sep 23, 2011, 06:29 AM »
danakaiggy, I like that strip in the center and the double notches on the wood. What is it you used for the center strip? Some kind of plastic I guess.

Have you had yours on gravel or Pavement? And do you wax the skis yearly? I plan on getting some liquid wax or Paste Wax for mine.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.