Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819638 times)

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #210 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:52 AM »

Hey Schmutz!  Your picture didn't show up!

"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #211 on: Feb 12, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I put my own together last week. I used aluminum cross bars from a mitsubishi truck instead of wood. Breaks down and fits right in the car. Thanks Smitty!

Offline KenDOdoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #212 on: Feb 12, 2011, 06:05 PM »

Here's my sled I put together for this season.  I was gonna wait to post picks until after I finished it, but who am I kidding...I'm fishing it. $5 for the cooler at a tag sale, and a few dollars for the tow rope, the bungie on the bait, and hooks to hang the auger. The rest I had, like the hip pack and that's a folding canoe seat holding the bait.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemien business that, when gone about properly put you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #213 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:38 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Here's my sled I put together for this season.  I was gonna wait to post picks until after I finished it, but who am I kidding...I'm fishing it. $5 for the cooler at a tag sale, and a few dollars for the tow rope, the bungie on the bait, and hooks to hang the auger. The rest I had, like the hip pack and that's a folding canoe seat holding the bait.
Great job Ken! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #214 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:51 AM »

nice perch ;D oh and nice sled too
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #215 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:03 AM »
Good work!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:55 AM »
Very cool!! Light and functional.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #217 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:12 AM »
We now have three of these in our family. We're pulling one suitcase (Shappell DX 3000), a two man Clam flipover, and a three man flip over (can't remember what brand - dark red cover and VERY heavy, Igloo maybe). These shacks loaded up with all of our gear have really put these sleds to the test. It is unbelieveable how easy they pull, with one finger in most situations.
Can't thank Smitty enough for sharing this concept!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Quote from: oletimer link=t[IMG
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/monthony/Picture003-1.jpg[/img]

Hey oletimer, where did those skis come from they look great with the roll up on both ends  :thumbsup:

Tricounty
Looks like Chuck is taking the skinny boat to tuna town. "Pops"

Offline KenDOdoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Great job Ken! Smitty

Thanks Smitty. 4-5 weeks ago it was sitting right on the skis, but it did't pull well and it was unstable side to side. The Smitty Sled gave me the idea to lift it and find out how easily it would pull.  Next project is a Smitty Sled to give to a friend.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemien business that, when gone about properly put you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #220 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:36 AM »
Finally got some pictures of the sled I made about 8 years ago to pull behind my snowmobile, but it pulls just as easy by hand also. I made it out of 2 old downhill ski's, a 4'x4' piece of 1/2" plywood, and a old bed frame. I welded most of it quick and easy, but you could just drill and bolt it together also. It sits about 24 inches high off the ice, so it also pulls like a dream in deep snow, plenty of ground clearance. I can strap on my portable shack, power auger, whatever. The best thing I like about it is I can also sit on it and fish / hole hop, and have everything right there on it. It fits in the back of my pick up truck with plenty of room to spare. I made the ski's exactly the width of my snowmobile ski's so it tracks perfect, I made the toung out of 1/2 in electrical conduit, no rope so it won't crash into my snowmobile when I stop quickly. It pulls by hand with little to no effort at all, everyone who see's it is amazed at how easy it pulls with no effort, even fully loaded.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #221 on: Feb 15, 2011, 01:43 PM »

With the help of my Dad and his buddy, I got my Smitty Sled done today!!!  I am so excited!

Thank you so much, Smitty, for posting this great design. 

Here's the tail of one of my old skis.  I was a Deadhead and I always listened to WCMF out of Rochester, NY when I was on the slopes of Swain.

My Dad's friend had a bunch of cherry scraps laying around that worked perfectly.  You can see the pictures of Smitty's original design along with Smitty's text.  I didn't want my Dad and his pal to redesign this sled!

They did have a good idea for the ends here.  Since we used 1.5" thick cherry for the wood on the skis and 3/4" for the cross boards, we thought it best to have two skinnier pins over one bigger one. 

Ahhh, cherry.  It will be nice and strong!

Done in about two hours.  We goofed off quite a bit though.   I didn't have to go far for the bolt eyes and the rope.  Up to this point, these are the only things that I had to buy and they cost me $12.45 including tax.

Looking GREAT!!!

I had to buy new tie-down straps, they set me back $8.00.  So my total investment is $21.
I can't wait until I can try it out.  I may go tonight, but at the very latest, I will be on the ice just before sunrise.  I will post back with my final thoughts on my new Smitty Sled.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #222 on: Feb 15, 2011, 02:55 PM »

With the help of my Dad and his buddy, I got my Smitty Sled done today!!!  I am so excited!

Looks good... you will appreciate the extra height when there is several inches of snow.  I have plans of raising mine just for that reason. 
You will love it..  So much easier to pull then any other way I have seen..(other then having a sled or 4 wheeler to pull it for ya) ... and it breaks down to fit in (most) any vehicle..
 :tipup: :tipup:

Offline KenDOdoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Feb 15, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Nice pics guys.

The best thing I like about it is I can also sit on it and fish / hole hop, and have everything right there on it.

I know what you mean...sit on it, fish, and everything is there. Like coffee. I also supply my fishing buddy with a pretty nice 7 gallon bucket and an insulated lid to cozy up on.

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #224 on: Feb 15, 2011, 04:46 PM »
are group has 4 now think I'm taking my kayak sail and riding when the bites slow
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Feb 16, 2011, 12:46 AM »

My Smitty Sled performed flawlessly on the ice yesterday.  Talk about easier to pull!  I can hardly call it a "drag" anymore.  I found myself looking back to make sure I was still pulling it!  Someone in here nailed it when they said it's 1/4 of the drag it used to be.  It's awesome.  Everything I hoped it would be and more.

I did discover one thing that I feel I need to add to my S.S. and that's some reflectors.  At night time, it would be easier to see it from a distance.

Here's a couple shots I took on my way out onto the ice late yesterday afternoon.

Love it!

Offline peddletothemeddle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #226 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:04 AM »
I made my smitty sled about 2 weeks ago.  I have used it twice, both times there was quite a bit of snow on the ice.  I am so glad i made this.  Works amazing.  Thanks Smitty for the great idea!

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:31 PM »
I just made 2 of these - so simple and works amazingly - 25% the weight.
Thanks Smitty!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #228 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:56 AM »
Smitty your famos man!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:21 AM »
I was coming off the ice on Lake George Sunday afternoon ....  i was taking my sled apart and looked over at the only two other guys in the parking lot and both were pulling these sleds...
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:00 PM »

Naturally, it's the best sled out there!

Offline Pipelayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:25 PM »
Woodroce,

How wide did you make your sled? I'm making a sled to pull my DX4000. I think it's 45-46 inches wide. It seems like a 46 inch wide sled might be awkward to pull sometimes. I may try to make it narrower and see how well the straps hold the shanty.

Any thoughts on this??

Thanks

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #232 on: Feb 18, 2011, 05:06 AM »
Pipelayer
I went in a rib or 2 on my DX3000 to get my width, and also put a little wood stopper on each crossbar that just fits up into the ribs on the center of each. This keeps it from shifting. I use rachet style straps, keeps everything secure. Just watch out going downhill, they get moving fast as I am sure most guy's on this thread will tell you.

I have thanked Smitty several times now, here is another!  If there is a shanty hall of fame for ideas he gets the first award :bow:
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #233 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Think I would go with the wider width..I doubt you wound have a problem
pulling it.Unless the snow was deep and it sank in a lot..Thats why I got myself a pop up and I like it lots..Light and easy to set up..Good luck what ever you decide to do..
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:30 AM »

Woodroce,

How wide did you make your sled?

My Fish Trap Guide is 36" wide.  I made my sled 32" wide so that the eye bolts will come out to meet the sled's width.  I am not familiar with your DX4000, but it sounds like dsp2's idea will be great for you.

I've had my Smitty Sled in my garage doing some work on it.  I put some wood putty in a knot hole and spent some time fondling, I mean, sanding it.  I am going to finish sanding it real good, stain it and then give it a few coats of polyurethane.  Then, she'll be finished off with some reflectors.  I haven't figured out the details of the reflectors yet, but they are making some pretty cool reflective tape these days. I was thinking i would make a couple custom reflectors.  Maybe put "Woodroce" on my sled or maybe try to make the Ice Shanty logo.  I wonder if I could seal the reflective tape under a few coats of polyurethane?  Hmmm....

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #235 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:48 AM »
I think after this winter, I'll be grabbing a couple of skis and making me one of these, Jetsled Med, with a 2 men hub from Glens next to it (not on top of everything else...) gliding easy....

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #236 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:37 PM »
Would the widest ski be the easiest to pull in deeper snow?  How about a water ski?
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #237 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:47 PM »
 Woodroce, How high are your bottom pieces attached to the skis?

Thanks! ;D

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:04 AM »
Would the widest ski be the easiest to pull in deeper snow?  How about a water ski?

Downhill skis work perfect .... they are designed to work in snow ....

but ....  the new skis designed for powder are really wide ... water skis may be worth a shot if you have an old pair
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:15 AM »
Found some picks of my old sled, used it 5-6 yrs before the plywood got bad. I made a new one last year just like it but wider so it would be more stable. The runners just set in the holes, easliy pulled out for storage. Its very sturdy and pulls easily thru deep snow. It doesn't show in the photo. But the back board I attached 6" cut pieces of golf club tubes to hold my poles, saves room on the sled.

The aluminum conduit runners are lighter than ski's and they cut threw the snow and ride on the ice. As ski's would ride ontop the snow and may pull harder.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.