Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 823655 times)

Offline jhei88

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #180 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:22 PM »
even if you made the fronts flip up like skis and polyurethaned it

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:42 PM »
even if you made the fronts flip up like skis and polyurethaned it
Only one way to find out... Try it and see how it works for you...
post pics and Let us know how it worked out...

Offline jhei88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:56 PM »
yea i think i will, i have no places to get skis, so ill give her a try. Expect pics next week.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #183 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:21 PM »
I'm just now getting into ice fishing and this sled looks great.  May have to build one.  A few thoughts on design.  For those concerned about it sinking into the snow, it wouldn't be difficult to add a 3rd ski in the middle which should improve the buoyancy in snow.  May make turning a bit more tricky though.  In regard to what kind of skiis--I would think downhill skiis should pull easier and stay on top of the snow better, but the cross country skiis with the fish scales on the bottom might be nice to have going uphill!  Anyone try them?  For those folks using 2x6 or 2x8s, I was thinking some of those metal shelf brackets hardware stores sell might provide some good lateral support without adding much to the drag in deeper snow.  Really nice design smitty--kudos!

I used cross country skis.  Don't have anything else to compare to but in 7 inches of snow it pulled pretty good!,
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #184 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:30 PM »
instead of using skis do you think 2*6 s laid flat would work
How I would do it if I had to make 2x6 smooth enough to pull on snow: your best bet would be to run them over the jointer to get 'em good and flat, jigsaw the ends to resemble skis, sand 'em up to like, 600 grit in steps (120, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600)  Shellac first to seal the wood then HIGH gloss urethane and HIGH gloss only. 2 Coats, sanding between coats. After the urethane cures, hit 'em with Minwax or Johnson's paste wax.  By the time you got into it for the lumber, sandpaper, shellac, urethane and wax, it might be cheaper to Craigslist or yardsale an old pair of skis.  Start asking around, I bet someone's got a pair collecting dust in their garage they'd almost GIVE to you

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline newjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 20, 2011, 12:12 PM »
[/img]Its a little wobbly but the clearance is worth it.

Offline mcrd82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Jan 20, 2011, 12:15 PM »
great idea! u should apply 4 a patent!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #187 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:13 PM »
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Bullelk34

« Reply #188 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Looks good newjigger- let us know how it holds up. I hear pvc can get brittle in the cold but have never tried it. If it works good I like the fact you could break it down easily.

Offline newjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Lookin good jigger! Smitty
Thanks Smitty all form your original idea.  Had to widen it a little bit though.

Offline newjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Looks good newjigger- let us know how it holds up. I hear pvc can get brittle in the cold but have never tried it. If it works good I like the fact you could break it down easily.
That pvc glue is pretty permanent, plus those aluminum racks are too.  I waited to glue in case I had to modify and It fell apart in a snow storm on a big lake. That beat us up pretty bad.
Once I glued it up firm it held up good. I had It out in -7 F and it was OK.  Knowing it is a little fagile in cold means don't hit it with a hammer.LOL  It is a rugged activity I think if it will break down Ill see it soon. Ill keep ya posted.

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
Zooplanktons "Ice Rocket"
« Reply #191 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Smitty , thanks again for the idea, I used 5/4 round deck boards on 2x8 risers
and added a board to the front to carry my trapper/ice fishing basket & the vex.
I guess my only troubles are when things get a little mushy out there and the junk starts sticking to the bottom of the runners.

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
Zoo's Ice Rocket
« Reply #192 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:53 PM »
The front board (not seen) was added later.......

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:55 PM »
nicely built sir!  I love diy, I think I'll give it a go, thanks for the pics
Tight lines

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #194 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Smity===Got a pair of skies give to me this afternoon..Now I am gonna make one of those sleds like in your picture.I think I am gonna make mine all one piece,as I can just put them in the back of my truck..Thinking of useing a 2x6 or maybe an 8 inch.Snow is getting deeper every week end..And hopefuly I can haul my shappel with more ease..As well as the power auger...I went to do a wireing job and the lady was in her garage.I ask if she had any skies to get rid of and she said yep,right here..Can't beat that now,lol..Thanks for your idea and plans....John
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #195 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Something to think about for the guys building these to pull at high speeds behind a snowmobile or ATV..downhill skis have metal edges that bit the ice when the wind is trying to blow it sideways on clear ice..Cross country skis have only wooden bottoms and slide sideways when the wind is howling out there..I actually put a slight bevel on the bottom of my boards so the ski doesn't sit completely flat, but not needed and would add more resistance if pulling by hand..Cool sled Smitty man..
Grant me another day on the Ice

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Smitty in your very first picture of your sled sitting there,how wide is it,and how long are your skies,I'm wanting to make one  but with a box on top about 51 inches long by 32 inches wide by 12 inches high with a hinged lid,to carry a 4 man pop up,5lb propane tank,heater,minnows,and tackle.I want to put brackets on the outside edge to fasten the power auger on.I will be pulling it with a snowmobile.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #197 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Smitty in your very first picture of your sled sitting there,how wide is it,and how long are your skies,I'm wanting to make one  but with a box on top about 51 inches long by 32 inches wide by 12 inches high with a hinged lid,to carry a 4 man pop up,5lb propane tank,heater,minnows,and tackle.I want to put brackets on the outside edge to fasten the power auger on.I will be pulling it with a snowmobile.
Mine is 30" wide, I cut 6" off my skis so they would fit in my car, now I would'nt have done that as I now have a SUV to haul my gear. Goodluck on your build. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #198 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:13 PM »
It's best to use down hill ski's, cross country ski's are too flimsy and narrower specially if you are going to be pulling it behind a snowmobile or 4 wheeler you want the stronger down hill ski's they have more backbone.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:58 PM »
That was going to be my next question...the skies...
The one I got for free I think are down hill..They
have very little up curve to the tips or toes.what
ever they are called...Would this be better or the
ones with a lot of curl to them? I want to get
started but want to be sure about the skies first..
Thanks for any added advice anyone has to offer..john

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #200 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:21 PM »
You can tell the difference by what type of bindings they have on them. The old ones I used had obsolete Solomon step in bindings, downhill bindings clamp the boot to the toe and heel down to the ski, cross country ski's only attach to the toe of the ski boot. Cross county ski's are narrow compared to downhill I would guess downhill ski's are about 3-1/2" wide, and cross country ski's are about2-1/2" wide. Downhill ski's are laminated with steel in the middle, cross country ski's are just fiberglass I think. If they have a name on them or model # or something you could probably google it and see what kind they are.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:30 PM »
downhill skis have a smooth bottom and x-country skis have like scales on the bottom. just an fyi

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #202 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:18 PM »
It's best to use down hill ski's, cross country ski's are too flimsy and narrower specially if you are going to be pulling it behind a snowmobile or 4 wheeler you want the stronger down hill ski's they have more backbone.

I built a long "Smitty " sled using cross country skis last season.
It pulls hard in snow loaded. But my buddy rescued me with his 4 wheeler and it tows just fine. I have a Shappell DX-3000 and it is as wide as the outside grooves in the shanty. I posted pics at the time last Dec/Jan. I just don't have the leg power anymore to pull thru deep snow. But my sled holds the shanty, 4 buckets in front and two buckets on top of the shanty, the auger, shovel, long northerns stacked like cordwood, plus room for lanterns, heaters etc. I have a older Buick Station Wagon and it slips right in with the rear seat folded down. I figured that the cross country skis hold my 250 pounds
so the load I have should be OK. So far so good.

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:33 PM »
Here's Mine
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?action=profile;u=23705;sa=showPosts;start=40

Posts were on smitty sled topic, from Jan. 30, 2010. Lots of pics of my sled were posted back then.

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Thank Guys for all the ideas, I will be building one for my two man Eskimo flip over.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:09 PM »

OMG....   I had such a terrible, terrible time out on the ice yesterday with my Clam Guide.  That sucker was like pulling a PLOW behind me!  I cannot wait to build a "Smitty Sled".  My Dad and I are going to do it on my next day off.  I have a pair of skis that have been in my garage for ten years!  Just last fall I was wondering if I should just throw them out.  I have had some good times on those skis.  Now the good times will continue!

I am printing some pictures and some of the text from this thread.  I figure if I give my Dad all the plans, maybe him and his buddy will build it and I can USE it on my next day off instead of build it! 

Naturally, pictures will be posted of the finished product, at the very least.  I can't wait!  There's so little TIME for this obsession, I mean sport.  Every day off counts!

It's gonna be great! 

Thanks, Smitty!  And thanks to everyone who gives me tips and things to ponder that I wouldn't have pondered.  There's some good folks lurking around in here, that's for sure!

"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Made a sled this morning. Fingers were a little cold at 0 degrees.

Tote holds all my tip ups and gear. The bait bucket holder just slides on and wing nutted. Everything comes apart to fit in a jeep Wrangler or my TBird... ;D

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #208 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Nice  real sweet...I made one and I am already thinking of some improvements to it..
As long as it helps get your gear out there,thats the main thing....Like I said..Looks real cool...Good luck with it..

Offline schmutzomatic 5000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Feb 12, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Made one for behind my wheeler out of alum.. Works great when water on top of the ice.  Pic is of my buddy's flip over with about 30 gal. of water in the tub after we got to our destination with a few inches of rain on top the ice.  In the background is my sled with my portable high and dry.  Storage to hold all ur junk in the box..  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.