Author Topic: Spring bobbers for gills  (Read 41224 times)

Offline friday13thfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spring bobbers for gills
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:54 AM »
I have always used the bic lighter spring, being alot of family members smoke i have lots of springs saved up, just keep them in a empty dip can works great. I now am in  iraq, no ice, so im bored which in turn makes my mind run at a millon mile and hour. iI'd have to say thought of mor designs for stuff over here away from the game then back in the states. next winter though.......

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:00 AM »
hey 13 you take care and be safe !!!! i hope your home with a fishing pole in your hands ,a sweetheart by your side and a cooler full to clean real soon!! thank you buddy
                                                                                                               trap

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 19, 2009, 11:46 PM »
spring bobbers work great but...A better option to me is a thorne bros power noodle, a Jason mitchell meatstick, or bros quick tip rod. All have a super soft tip with a great backbone. personally I use a power noodle.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #33 on: Sep 25, 2009, 11:18 AM »
I only use spring bobbers at night. During the day I use the underwater camera instead.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #34 on: Oct 14, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I use the Marmish strike indicators:

https://www.marmish.ca/shop/items.html?type=4

I love these.  Decent adjustability similar to the Thorne bros. model.  You need to remove the rod tip to install them, but that's easy enough. 

Mike
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #35 on: Oct 14, 2009, 08:23 PM »
So you add a marmish strike indicator to a regular rid?

Hmm interesting. I use marmish rods when the gill bite is tuff, but over the past season or so have moved to the meatstick as I perfer the tapered tip to a spring bobber

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #36 on: Oct 14, 2009, 09:48 PM »
So you add a marmish strike indicator to a regular rid?

Hmm interesting. I use marmish rods when the gill bite is tuff, but over the past season or so have moved to the meatstick as I perfer the tapered tip to a spring bobber

Yup.  Like I said, you have to pull the tip off the rod to slide them in place, but they work well.  I don't think they'd work as well with a very thin rod, but I use a fairly heavy very short rod that I prefer.  I like the Marmish rods, but hate hand lining, so this is the compromise I came up with.

And Trav is right.  I meant St. Croix.

Mike
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline big bono

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2010, 12:55 PM »
i love spring bobbers. especially on my new st. croix, very sensitive for the tiniest hit and durable.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:29 PM »
don't use spring bobbers...make my own rods with extremely sensitive tips....plus most of the fish we catch hit fairly hard...even when biting light....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:28 PM »
I've always used spring bobbers for gills, but today i picked up a JM Meatstick. No spring bobbers anymore ;D

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:34 PM »
i have a cpl marmish rods and they have an awesome spring bobber.  however i usually just tight line it.  i have found a couple different methods to detect the slightest bites and can still achieve the lure action i want, unlike when using a spring bobber.  my favorite setup is a 22'' ultralite with quality spinning reel coupled with 3lb crystal fireline main and 3' 3lb pline floroice leader.  i than put a small orange bobber stopper (thread typed) on the main line and set so that is about 6'' belowe the water surface when lure is on the bottom.  this stopper allows for better visual identification of ANY strike.  i have also just taken a red perminant marker and made a small 1inch mark on the fireline...works equally well if line isnt wet or iced up.  i like to rod tap to get that tail kick with plastics and find it is hard to achieve this with a spring bobber but not a problem when tight lining with an ultralite.
]

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:09 PM »
i watched this elder guy once fishing. he was out fishing everyone around him. i walked over and said mind if i watch you? he said sure youngster. i was 50 at the time. he was using a red rubber band for a bobber!!!! it worked real slick too. it was about 3 in long and he said that he  threaded it on his line with a needle. you could acually see the fish breathe on it. he said he uses it all the time even when the fish are aggressively biting. he attached the band so that it looked like a letter u and was easy to move up and down the line. hope this helps. tight lines.

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:03 AM »
I love spring bobbers too, use the panfish poppers a lot.  I solved the problem of ice up by spraying a little PAM non stick cooking spray on it.  Stops the ice up for a while.  For me anyway.

Offline hardwater347

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • my under sized musky just ate ur trophy bass
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2010, 10:06 AM »
I used to be all spring bobbers but now with the super light rods out there i can feel a bluegill farting at 50 yards ;D
plus when im searching for fish in the cold they tent to ice up pretty bad not these new rods.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:10 PM »
.  i like to rod tap to get that tail kick with plastics and find it is hard to achieve this with a spring bobber but not a problem when tight lining with an ultralite.

Agreed. Recently used a couple Bass Pro spring bobbers on fast action ice rods & they mushed the jiggin' sensitivity all up.
Refitted spring to a softer rod (HT Polar Gold) & often deadstick w/ it. Jigged up a few bulls w/ this set-up also (See Bluegill forum)  :laugh:

They certainly have their place in the arsenal
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:32 PM »
I bought spring bobbers this year for my kids and after seeing how they work, I decided to try it. Right ow I only use it when the fish are light biters and it has helped so far.

Offline Perchjerker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:54 AM »
I Luv my spring bobbers ! I guess my trigger finger is just not as sensative as it used to be.  ;D

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2010, 11:53 PM »
I Luv my spring bobbers ! I guess my trigger finger is just not as sensative as it used to be.  ;D
Dido! cant see worth a hoot eather! ;D

Offline MULLSKINNER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:43 AM »
i use the marmish rods in shallow water ...then i use a regular rig with a marmish spring for deeper water works great ..

MULLSKINNER......
VEXILAR FL8
Aqua-Vu SV100
FRABILL "COMMANDO"
FENWICK HMG ICE RODS ...
Marmish ice rods
G. LOOMIS ICE RODS...

Offline oldbuck52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I tried spring bobbers years ago and could never get used to them. I think it gives your jig a different presentation to the fish. I have real good sensitivity in my hands and I just know when they're there. Also I jig with bare hands.

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:06 PM »
I use the HT clip-on spring bobbers, a much larger spring in diameter than the frabills, so they dont freeze up as bad.

HB 8)

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:46 PM »
You can buy the St.Croix spring bobber and attach them to any rod with little materials.  St.Croix bobber $5.00, size 8 eyelet .99 and a rubber gromet $1.00.  Take some fly fishing string and some epoxy.  I attached the spring bobbers to all my rods.  Better than paying $50.00 for the legend.  I believe these are the best bobbers made and come in differnt strengths.

(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks for the great idea.  I was thinking about paying big money for the Legend just for the spring bobber but now I don't have to.  I love the look of the St Croix bobber and I think it will work great.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2010, 12:57 PM »
i own and use a Jason Mitchell 24" spring bobber rod and i like it a lot. I perfer the Quiverstick by Thorne bros though. Even though there is no spring bobber, the tip is so thin and sensitive that it shows the slightest nip or bite.  More feel outta the Quiverstick also

ICE REBEL

« Reply #53 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Slip bobbers for me. That's all i use. I could mark the depth and reel in the fish for a better fight and drop my jig right back in the hole and know what depth i was at. They just make fishing a lot easier.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.